Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Cruise Ship Strikes Rock off Italian Coast; 3 dead, 70 missing.

110,000 ton CostaConcordia strikes rocks, capsizes.

Hope that the missing list shrinks. Apparently the boat drill was delayed.

Vacant
    vCash
    In all my years of working on cruise liners, I never remember delaying the first boat drill for passengers. This has to be carried out in a certain timeframe by maritime law and all ours were either before sailing or within an hour of sailing. It was NEVER delayed. Costa have never had the best reputation for safety within the industry but this is really shocking in this day and age. Thank goodness they were so close to land otherwise it would have been catastrophic.

vCash
    Very scary

vCash
    There were reports of people jumping into the water in panic.
    I hope that they can accurately account for all those onboard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    In all my years of working on cruise liners, I never remember delaying the first boat drill for passengers. This has to be carried out in a certain timeframe by maritime law and all ours were either before sailing or within an hour of sailing. It was NEVER delayed. Costa have never had the best reputation for safety within the industry but this is really shocking in this day and age. Thank goodness they were so close to land otherwise it would have been catastrophic.
    Isn't a ship supposed to conduct the boat drill within a certain amount of time after its departure from a port?

vCash
    They've just said on the evening news that the missing are now 40.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Some passengers said it was supposed to be done today

vCash
    I heard on CNN that the safety drill, on board that ship, is supposed to be conducted within 24 hours of leaving port. I think the ship was within that time period and the safety drill had yet to be done.

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    I heard on CNN that the safety drill, on board that ship, is supposed to be conducted within 24 hours of leaving port. I think the ship was within that time period and the safety drill had yet to be done.
    That sounds about right but as I already said, practically every other line does them immediately prior to, or just after departure. You cannot guarantee that nothing will happen on the first night at sea and the company has a responsibility to ensure that passengers know what to do in such an eventuality. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that timeframe significantly narrowed as a result of this.

vCash
    I was reading on a Cruise board that while a few passengers had boarded in Civitavecchia on Friday, most passengers would either be getting on or off in Savona on Saturday and that is why they were doing the muster drill on Saturday.

The newsticker on CBC Newsworld is saying that the captain has been charged with manslaughter and abandoning ship.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2...ise-italy.html

vCash
    The cruises I've been on, they had the boat drill 2-3 hours after leaving port.

vCash
    Carnival---it seems I've heard that name before when it comes to big problems/ accidents/ tragedies associated with cruises (ABC said the ship was booked with Carnival customers.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    Carnival---it seems I've heard that name before when it comes to big problems/ accidents/ tragedies associated with cruises (ABC said the ship was booked with Carnival customers.)
    Carnival owns Costa, as well as Cunard, Holland America, Princess, P&O, Seabourn, as well as AIDA.

I saw on ABC News tonight that the captain has been arrested. (This story confirms it).

Allegedly the captain left the ship before some of the passengers and other crew members!

vCash
    They keep mentioning the Titanic, but in most ways I think it's a lot more similar to the listing/evacuation/sinking of the Italian liner, Andrea Doria.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    The articles are really interesting - I know people in NYC with all of the same last names as the people quoted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    They keep mentioning the Titanic, but in most ways I think it's a lot more similar to the listing/evacuation/sinking of the Italian liner, Andrea Doria.
    I do remember reading some of the cruise forums where old-timers predicted that one of the megaships would meet a nasty end.

The gash is very nasty - I mean, bit of boulder is actually imbedded in the hull!

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    I saw the ship images first thing this morning when I had just woken up and I actually sat up in my bed thinking I couldn't be seeing that sideways ship right while laying down. It looked horrible and I'm glad the casualties weren't worse. Thoughts and prayers to all the survivors and to the families of those still missing.

Shame on that captain for abandoning his ship.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    This night, 24h after the disaster, three missing people were founded, it seems that they are in good condition.
    Now there are still 38 missing.

vCash
    Dreadful tragedy. Oh, Titanic was only 45,000 ton this ship in the article was 110,000 ton, Oasis of the Seas is 225,000 ton.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    From CNN: At least two more bodies have been found aboard the Costa Concordia, the Italian news agency ANSA reports.

Some of those missing have been found safe, ashore, also.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast