Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I get it now...

vCash

Thumbs up I get it now...

So, I always knew the World Pro Champ Paul Wylie. I never saw this performance before. Wow... when you watch the reaction of the woman at http://youtu.be/SzB4Cn8MNSw?t=4m29s its easy to see that especially in the mens event, no one is moving audiences like this anymore. So, with the US Nationals almost upon us, how appropiate this performance

http://youtu.be/SzB4Cn8MNSw

vCash
    When I think of moving performances at nationals, this epic performance is just . They blew the roof off of Philips Arena that night... Just listen to the audience...it's incredible.

vCash
    That has to be the absolute fastest that a non-Kwan thread has ever turned into a Kwan thread.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    ^^Oh you know it! I was going for the record! Did I get it?

But to be fair, the thread mentioned moving performances at nationals...who has more than Michelle Kwan?

vCash
    Damn, I was hoping to talk about Paul Wylie. Oh well.

vCash
    Wylie's short program at 1990 US Nats wasn't bad either.

I'm wondering when it ceased to be permissible to repeat the same triple jump in the men's short program. Wylie's short had two lutzes, one of which was in combination (of course).
    Last edited by falling_dance; 01-18-2012 at 03:10 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    I'm wondering when it ceased to be possible to repeat the same triple jump in the men's short program. Wylie's short had two lutzes, one of which was in combination (of course).
    The following year.
    As you see, Wylie did two triple lutzes.
    At Worlds that year, Browning, Petrenko, and Eldredge did two triple axels, as well as the required double axel. So not much variety in jump takeoffs :

As of 1991 season, it was no longer allowed to repeat the same jump (i.e., same takeoff and same number of revolutions) in two different short program jump elements.

Remember that up through 1988 the jump out of steps was a specified double, and there was also a specified double jump in the combination.

Beginning with 1989 season, the jump out of steps was not specified and men were required to do a triple for that element. Hence the repeats between solo jump and combination.

IIRC in the 80s we did see some women doing double axel combinations as well as solo double axels and whatever the required double out of steps was that year.

vCash
    You can say that again.

That short program was terriffic

vCash
    Thanks gkelly. I have often wondered about this too but I knew it was during Kurt's era because it immediately reduced his possible difficulty because he could not do the 3L so the change was not in his favour. At 90 Worlds he would have been in big trouble since he muffed his first attempt at the 3A combo and had to add it to his solo 3A at the end. Is that why the rule changed - joking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    So, I always knew the World Pro Champ Paul Wylie. I never saw this performance before. Wow... when you watch the reaction of the woman at http://youtu.be/SzB4Cn8MNSw?t=4m29s its easy to see that especially in the mens event, no one is moving audiences like this anymore. So, with the US Nationals almost upon us, how appropiate this performance

http://youtu.be/SzB4Cn8MNSw
    Now compare 1990 with 1989 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFo9lv2t-tk and 1991 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlW2BMj8jxQ

Same program, 3 different years. 1991 and 1990 are about equal for me. Neither is perfect but both are wonderful. 1991's costume is much better which is sort of a big deal to me. Speaking of the costume; in person it was actually blue with green buttons. I guess the contrast made the buttons more visible on TV.

It's too bad there isn't a video of Pauls 1991 short program at Nationals. He skated to The Right Stuff. That program wasn't seen many times and Nationals was by far the best performance of it. It had a killer step sequence. I have a video of it but no way to post it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Same here.

vCash
    My all time favorite skater, and yes, he did interact with and play to the crowd.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Now compare 1990 with 1989 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFo9lv2t-tk and 1991 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlW2BMj8jxQ

Same program, 3 different years.
    OMG, I've never noticed that (I didn't follow US Nats at this time !).
    That's a shame to have 3 years in a row the same LP.
    Anyway, his performances were always great, even with the mistakes, he knew how to skate and give everything to the crowd.

vCash
    Many skaters did the same thing.

One of the qualities that I've always loved about Paul is that his programs had "purpose", intent, and a point-of-view.
    His skating reflected that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Well, you know...Paul Wylie DOES know Michelle, so maybe that counts?

I remember screaming for joy at the TV, watching Paul at the Olympics!

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Many skaters did the same thing.

One of the qualities that I've always loved about Paul is that his programs had "purpose", intent, and a point-of-view.
    His skating reflected that.
    Well said. He skated with intelligence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    That has to be the absolute fastest that a non-Kwan thread has ever turned into a Kwan thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Well said. He skated with intelligence.
    When a skater is able to do that, the audience feels it, and responds,

vCash
    I always appreciated his skating, but was never a fan of the Big Movie Soundtrack program… but when I saw him skate an intricate, introspective piece choreographed by Lar Lubovitch in SOI (Jan. 97), I became an uber.

vCash
    Was that the Bach program? I got to see that live, too. He did a fantastic job with it.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast