Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    Sooooo cute! He's so fluffy!

vCash
    There's a cute new video of the little guy on the bloodhorse website. He's getting a whole lot of attention and petting, and seems to mostly like it. He's pretty adorable.

vCash
    Rachel Alexandra is now in foal to Bernardini (sire of Zenyatta's colt)

Going on diet soon
    vCash
    I need to give some time to Rachel Alexandra:

http://t.co/8EzcYKpZ
    Crows and Eville SQUIRRELS love peanuts!

vCash
    Rachel's boy

Clown

vCash

vCash
    Just announced after the running of the Curlin Stakes at Saratoga was the name of RA and Curlin's colt: Jess's Dream. Kind of meh to me.

vCash
    Stonestreet is having another Meet Rachel day, on October 12. There are 4 sessions, 25 fans max per session, rsvp instructions on their facebook page.

I put in for it. I figure, what the heck, maybe I can meet the Princess (sorry, I have to call Zenyatta the queen, but I love Rachel, too). We'll see if I get in.

vCash
    So I was notified today that I get to meet Rachel Alexandra on October 12. Who would ever have thought I'd get to meet Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra within 6 weeks of each other? We won't get to feed her, but I have always heard the farm hosts a very nice visit for people. I will also check about seeing Union Rags when I'm there, and of course spend time with my boy Tinner over at Old Friends.

vCash
    Awesome sk8pics, give her a pat for me.

vCash
    So, got to meet Rachel yesterday. She was sleepy, LOL. But very sweet. For the first few people who went up to her, she didn't look at them but just kept staring straight ahead. When I went up to her, she turned her head to check me out and so offered her nose, so I kissed it! I never would have guessed that in a span of 6 weeks I'd kiss Zenyatta on the nose and Rachel Alexandra on the nose. She was very soft and looked good, in spite of being tired. At Lanes End the day before, I thought Curlin was going to fall asleep standing there posing, so maybe everyone had a wild night.

Anyway, if anyone would like to see a few of the pictures, send me a PM and I'll send you the link.

vCash
    Congrats again to 2nd time Mother: Rachel Alexandra. She birthed a filly who weighs in at 140lbs.
    oh and congrats to Bernardini...proud papa.
    Little Rachel and Mom

vCash
    Sweet!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I just said the same thing Rottie. Congrats to one and all!!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Best suggestion I heard so far for a name is "Almost a Valentine"! Hopefully the filly gets a better one than the lame name they saddled the colt with (Jess's Dream.) Not that I expect him to do a thing (he'll probably end up a gelding packing short stirrups around or something) but if on the off chance he can run worth mentioning that's going down with Giacomo and Lil E. Tee in the 'non-classic names' records.

vCash
    You guys haven't heard the latest...

http://blog.timesunion.com/horseraci...-surgery/9614/

Rachel Alexandra, the popular filly who beat the boys in the Woodward at Saratoga en route to 2009 Horse of the Year honors, underwent surgery on Wednesday night after having complications from foaling a day earlier.

Owner Stonestreet Farm said in a news release late Wednesday that Rachel Alexandra was taken to Rood and Riddle Equine Clinic in Lexington, Ky. to repair an area of bruising in her small colon injured while delivering her filly.

Stonestreet Farm described Rachel Alexandra’s condition as “serious” and said a full prognosis could not be immediately determined.

Dr. Steven Sedrish, a surgeon at Upstate Equine Medical Center in Schuylerville, said colic issues are fairly common among broodmares right after foaling.

“Most commonly they get something called a large-colon torsion, where the large colon actually twists,” Sedrish said. “But it’s also not unusual, basically when the foal is coming out, it’s coming through a small area and the foal can bruise or damage other parts of the intestine as well.”

Sedrish noted the injury was to the small colon, not the large colon, according to the Stonestreet statement, which could bode well for Rachel Alexandra’s long-term prognosis.

“Some of the issues that can happen right after foaling are very significant, large-colon torsions being the most significant,” he said. “It doesn’t sound like that’s what she’s had and it sounds like they got to it very quickly, so although it can be serious, it sounds like they got to it quickly enough where hopefully she’s going to be OK.”

Rachel Alexandra delivered a Bernardini filly that weighed 140 pounds, a very large foal, which Sedrish said could have caused the problem. Newborn foals typically weigh anywhere from 90 to 110 or 120 pounds.

“You have a foal that’s coming through a fixed space, and the bigger the foal is, the more damage that could potentially occur as it’s trying to squeeze through the birth canal,” he said.

The foal is healthy and has returned to Stonestreet Farm, according to the news release.

vCash
    Oh! Best wishes to RA for a quick and full recovery!

vCash
    What a shame, IIRC, she spent time at the Rood & Riddle Hospital due to complications after her first foal. This doesn't bode well for more foals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Best suggestion I heard so far for a name is "Almost a Valentine"! Hopefully the filly gets a better one than the lame name they saddled the colt with (Jess's Dream.) Not that I expect him to do a thing (he'll probably end up a gelding packing short stirrups around or something) but if on the off chance he can run worth mentioning that's going down with Giacomo and Lil E. Tee in the 'non-classic names' records.
    What is "non-classic" about the name Giacomo?

vCash
    Let's hope her proven courage on the track will carry over to the battle she is fighting now...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast