Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Not to mention the uproar when there was no 4CC faceoff back in 06 between Buttle and Ferreira. Buttle won the event (in usual, uhm, controversial way) while Ferriera was something like 125th.
    And if I recall correctly, he was suffering from the aftermath of food poisoning at that championship...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Amelie's margin of victory was less than 2 points over Cynthia, so it wasn't exactly a convincing win. Furthermore, Lacoste didn't even win either segment.
    Hm, good point.

At this point I don't have faith in either Cynthia or Amelie to do well at Worlds.

Skate Canada should be begging and pleading Joannie Rochette to come back to competition next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nlyoung View Post
    And if I recall correctly, he was suffering from the aftermath of food poisoning at that championship...
    And who knows but this low point may have been the best motivation possible for Jeff who, as we all know, WON a World Championship.

Though I agree I thought it sucked big time as a decision by Skate Canada. How could they leave my wonderful Jeff off the World team when he had been so successful all year to that point? But just saying, who knows how Jeff's skating history might have been different.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    Hm, good point.

At this point I don't have faith in either Cynthia or Amelie to do well at Worlds.

Skate Canada should be begging and pleading Joannie Rochette to come back to competition next year.
    Agreed! But that would be completely unfair to Joannie to be pressured back into competing if that is not what she wants to do. But I see entirely where you are coming from, if there is any hope of Joannie coming back, it should be on her own terms and not by Skate Canada pressuring her to (Therefore, I do agree with your begging and pleading LOL )

In regards to how the season played out, I think the smarter thing to do was to have said BEFORE the national championships, we are having a skate-off at 4CC no matter what. It does create certain other problems, of course, but in terms of being fair and who is the best lady to send, that would have been the right option. (And at that time, they had no idea Kaetlyn would win the short which made Slipchuk open his big mouth )

vCash
    re: Buttle vs. Ferreira in 2004,

It was an interesting decision considering that Jeff had qualified for the GPF (even though he had to withdraw). Skate Canada must have not been confident that a Sandhu/Buttle combination would have garnered 3 Worlds spots for 2005, therefore didn't bother with a skate-off scenario at 4CC.

re: Bellemare vs. Watt in 2001,

Skate Canada must have thought that a Robinson + Bellemare combination was the best bet to preserve 2 spots for 2002 Olympics (which didn't happen), therefore opted for the 4CC scenario in that case.

In this instance for Lacoste vs. Phaneuf, Skate Canada must think that Cynthia is the best bet for Canada to get back to 2 spots for London Worlds in 2013...it's hard to find any other reasoning..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    In this instance for Lacoste vs. Phaneuf, Skate Canada must think that Cynthia is the best bet for Canada to get back to 2 spots for London Worlds in 2013...it's hard to find any other reasoning..
    And in my opinion, they're right.

Osmond will benefit far more from the chance to go to Junior Worlds and build confidence internationally. Cynthia has shown a great degree of improvement this year, and I think Skate Canada is putting a lot of trust in Brian's and Tracy's abilities as coaches. Lacoste needs to step it up in terms of choreography to make an impact at Worlds, and the fact she popped two key jumps at Nationals does not bode well. Lacoste put pressure on herself to do well at Nationals, but whoever goes to Worlds has the pressure of Skate Canada on them to secure two spots for next year. Phaneuf has more maturity and confidence to be able to handle that, especially with the support team she has in place right now. If anyone knows about pressure, it's Brian Orser.

vCash
    Lacoste did no favours by not landing a lutz last week, either.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Lacoste would likely not make top ten no matter how well she would skate at Worlds. And if Phaneuf was her consistent mess she would also likely fall out of top ten. But if Phaneuf (semi) delivered there would be a chance she would make top ten and regain Canada's second ladies spot.

It's reasonable for them to have more faith in Phaneuf. It's the Flatt vs Nagasu debate for 2011 US National isn't it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luna_skater View Post
    And in my opinion, they're right.

Cynthia has shown a great degree of improvement this year, and I think Skate Canada is putting a lot of trust in Brian's and Tracy's abilities as coaches. Lacoste needs to step it up in terms of choreography to make an impact at Worlds, and the fact she popped two key jumps at Nationals does not bode well. Lacoste put pressure on herself to do well at Nationals, but whoever goes to Worlds has the pressure of Skate Canada on them to secure two spots for next year. Phaneuf has more maturity and confidence to be able to handle that, especially with the support team she has in place right now. If anyone knows about pressure, it's Brian Orser.
    Because Phaneuf handles pressure so very well?

And the notion that a skater would be picked because of who their coaches are is, imo, terrible.

Skate Canada would have done everyone a favor if they'd announced this plan before the ladies competition had begun. The way it was handled is a slap in the face to Lacoste, and she didn't deserve that. It isn't her fault that Phaneuf bombed the short, and yet it seems that Skate Canada is doing everything possible for Phaneuf to get the ticket to Worlds. (And if Phaneuf skates and SP like that one at Worlds, I guess it is possible that she doesn't even make the cut for the LP.)

vCash
    As I posted in the Canadain Championships forum:

Skate Canada ALWAYS reserves the right to determine who goes to Worlds. A skate off has been used in the past and the skaters are aware of this. So, it really should not come as a surprise to anyone if they decide to exercise that right. While it may be disappointing for Amelie, she has the same chance to go out and skate well at 4Cs that Cynthia has. Personally, I don't have a lot of faith in either woman at this point, but Skate Canada has to do what it can to maximize spots for the Olymipics.

I think the biggest concern with Amelie has to be the fact that she only appears to be able to land 2 jumps consistantly. That is just not going to cut it internationally. Her results, while better than Cynthia's on the GP this year, were not that much better. And Cynthia does have some decent international results in the past. I don't see what is wrong with telling both of them that in order to determine who will to go to Worlds, Skate Canada needs to see more. Let's see which of them has the competitive fire needed, because it's only going to get tougher from here.

vCash
    whomever goes must finish no lower than 10th to qualify two spots for next year. Cyn has done this once, with a 5th place finish. Just sayin

vCash
    I watched the competition this week-end and knew that they would do this. Not to diminish Amelie's win by any ways, but it was not a convincing win. As others have pointed out, Amelie did not win the short or the long program.

Cynthia did not do well in the short; but rallied back in the long. had her spins been given the levels she normally does; we wouldn't be having this debate; she would have won the event.

In Skate Canada's and other's eyes, Cynthia is a more complete skater. She has been in the top 5; she could certainly make the top 10 if she skates well. I'm not sure if Amelie could make top 10, even with clean skates as imo, she's just not as polished.

i certainly see Cynthia beating Amelie at 4CC and getting the nod to Worlds.

vCash
    I know this is slightly off topic, but the entries for 4CC announced by Skate Canada have Jeremy Ten listed. Has Jeremy competed internationally in the last two years? I can't remember him competing, and 4CC requires a minimum score. I can't see the ISU making the Plushenko exception for him.

vCash
    Jeremy was injured and took 2 seasons off.

vCash
    ... and he actually did compete at on the GP last season--I completely forgot that; should have checked his ISU bio before posting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    And the notion that a skater would be picked because of who their coaches are is, imo, terrible.
    That's not even close to what I was suggesting.

I also got the impression from comments Amelie made in the kiss and cry that she was not assuming she was going to Worlds when she referenced preparing for "next year" instead of preparing for Worlds. Given Skate Canada's history with how they deal with choosing the World representative when there's only one available spot, I think any of the ladies would have assumed that a gold at Nationals would not automatically equal a ticket to Worlds.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Not to mention the uproar when there was no 4CC faceoff back in 06 between Buttle and Ferreira. Buttle won the event (in usual, uhm, controversial way) while Ferriera was something like 125th.
    Quote Originally Posted by nlyoung View Post
    Yes, he was, but if IIRC, Buttle at the time that he was the one who didn't skate well enough to qualify and that those were the breaks, disappointing as they were, since he had been scored generously when he didn't feel he hadn't skated well.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luna_skater View Post
    That's not even close to what I was suggesting.
    Sorry, then -- but what DID you mean by, "Cynthia has shown a great degree of improvement this year, and I think Skate Canada is putting a lot of trust in Brian's and Tracy's abilities as coaches."

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    That could mean that with two more months of training with them, Phaneuf might improve significantly and have a shot at top 10.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    terrible but something that's been going on since the beginning.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast