Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash

Interesting comment by Slipchuk during CTV/TSN interview today

Did anyone else see the interview done by both Tracy and Rod w/Michael Slipchuk after the Men's FS? He was asked about the make up about the World Team and that it looked pretty straightforward for the most part, but there were a couple of questions still to be answered. One of those obviously is in Dance, as Piper and Paul can't skate internationally, so they have a spot to fill there. It was the second part of his answer that got my antennae up though.

He mentioned that there's some question of who to send in Ladies!! He also mentioned they might just defer the choice until after 4CC and see what ends up happening there.

Interesting. At least I thought so. Would they really do that? I mean...I know it was pretty tight between Amelie and Cynthia, but Amelie's the one that put out the programs to win Canadians and is the new Champion. As the protocols have always gone, when only one spot is open, the Champion goes.

What do the rest of you think? I honestly don't know what to think really.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    This is not unprecedented. It happened between Annie Bellemare & Nicole Watt (about 7 years ago).

I understood exactly what Michael was referring to - Amelie missed both her toe jumps in the FS; neither girl skated "lights out". They are giving them a chance to show what they can do before international judges at 4 Continents before deciding who to send to Worlds.
    Can't skate but love to watch

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    I think it makes a mockery out of having a national championship if you don't have your national champion represent you at worlds.. moreover I think the same rules should apply for all - if cynthia had won we would not be having this discussion.. moreover Amelie has beaten Cynthia 3 out of 3 times this season.. yes I know Amelie didn't have a great skate - but what does that say about Cynthia if a crappy skate by Amelie didn't beat our defending national champ? I know Cynthia is with Brian now.. and he has a lot of influence with Skate Canada - but leaves a sour taste in my mouth.. As someone in an another thread asked - what happens if our 4th place skater beats both Cynthia and Amelie - will she go to worlds??
    Last edited by 4rkidz; 01-23-2012 at 02:15 AM.
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    I think it makes a mockery out of having a national championship if you don't have your national champion represent you at worlds..
    I agree. I have always thought this and always will. The skaters that prove themselves at Nationals (a pressure event) deserve to go to Worlds (or Olys, whatever). And if the winner is less than stellar, that's too bad... maybe everyone else should have risen to the occasion and skated better when it counted.

Rant over.

vCash
    I think it's a great decision. We do not want to end up not having a spot at the Olympics again and head back in the same direction as the late 90's. We had great sucess with consistent top 10 finishes in the 2000's and then with Joannie Rochette.

A lot of other countries do the same thing... i.e. with Europeans.

Cynthia had a great skate in the long program! I agree she has been very inconsistent in the past and has not lived up to her true potential. Amelie deserves her chance as well. And in an interview she was even unsure if she would be named to the World team.

Good luck to both ladies at 4cc!!!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    This is not unprecedented. It happened between Annie Bellemare & Nicole Watt (about 7 years ago).

I understood exactly what Michael was referring to - Amelie missed both her toe jumps in the FS; neither girl skated "lights out". They are giving them a chance to show what they can do before international judges at 4 Continents before deciding who to send to Worlds.
    I'd forgotten about Annie and Nicole and Skate Canada using 4CC as a skate off for the spot. Thanks for reminding me.

Second...While I understand why they're considering this, I have to also agree w/4rkids. If they're going to use 4CC whenever there's a situation such as this, then why bother using Canadians to set the World Team. It's also one hell of a slap in the face to Amelie. To see her reaction to winning and then hearing her talk about getting to skate at Worlds as the Champion yesterday to hearing what Slipper said today...I can't imagine how Amelie's feeling right now.

vCash

true if lacoste skated great

Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I agree. I have always thought this and always will. The skaters that prove themselves at Nationals (a pressure event) deserve to go to Worlds (or Olys, whatever). And if the winner is less than stellar, that's too bad... maybe everyone else should have risen to the occasion and skated better when it counted.

Rant over.
    I do feel the national champ deserves it in most cases, but really lacoste did not skate that great, not that the other option is any better. Is it fair, maybe not but i am looking forward to seeing which of the two skate better at 4cc with the pressure on.

vCash
    Well, I'm rooting for Najarro to be the ranking Canadian lady at 4CC, with Amelie second and Cynthia third, just for the sheer humour value

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Well, I'm rooting for Najarro to be the ranking Canadian lady at 4CC, with Amelie second and Cynthia third, just for the sheer humour value
    How will that look at Worlds if we send our 4th place skater from nationals But I'm sure if that happens (Najarro wins) the rules will change again

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    That would be hilarious. I kind of get what Skate Canada is seeing but it is unfair to Amelie. She's beaten Cynthia every time they faced each other.

vCash
    Didn't Ben Ferreira skate off with Sandhu one year at 4CC? Or am I dreaming...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Didn't Ben Ferreira skate off with Sandhu one year at 4CC? Or am I dreaming...
    Yes he did, in 2000. Ben beat Sandhu at 4CC and went to worlds.

I love Amelie and want to see her at Worlds, but I think waiting until 4CC is the right decision. I hope Amelie skates great there and gets the spot. But if she doesn't skate well and Cynthia does, I want Skate Canada to have the option to send Cynthia to Worlds...ultimately, I want the best skater at Worlds who has the best chance at a good finish.

vCash
    If Amelie had a better GP season, perhaps making the GPF something like that, there would be no question that she would go after winning the national championships. But simply beating Cynthia this season at different competitions, and then winning nationals with a skate like that, uh... no.

To me, Cynthia, should have won the long by more, and won overall, but that is for another time, Skate Canada knows the international judges would still put Cynthia ahead of Amelie barring the disasters Cynthia has had this season, and that is probably one of the reasons why they are waiting until 4CC to decide.

At the same time, it is only fair that had Cynthia also won with a subpar performance at nationals, that they would have also waited until 4CC as well, but I doubt that this would have happened if the situation was reversed.

In this case however, I feel they are making the right decision to wait until after 4CC to set their ladies world team.

I second that Najarro placing ahead of the other Canadian ladies at 4CC, that would be funny, and the funniest thing is, it is certainly possible too! (Imagine that, the 4th place skater from nationals going to worlds)

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    It is a huge slap in the face to poor Amelie. As someone pointed out, Amelie has proven ALL SEASON that she is a more dependable than Cynthia. She has won all 3 meetings. This wasn't a fluke. If Amelie beats Cynthia at 4CC will they decide to have another skate off? What does she have to do to get a spot, start landing 4lutzes?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Amelie's margin of victory was less than 2 points over Cynthia, so it wasn't exactly a convincing win. Furthermore, Lacoste didn't even win either segment.

Perhaps Skate Canada isn't completely convinced to send Amelie because she only landed 3 triple loops and 2 triple salchows combined in both segments? Maybe if she had landed (or at least fully rotated) a 3 lutz/flip, it would have been a more clear decision?

vCash
    The worst part is in yesterday's Globe and Mail (before the FS) there was a comment from Mike saying that if Katelyn Osmond won, she would go to worlds if she and her coach thought she was ready. Yet now he's saying that a woman who has been the best Canadian internationally AND has Worlds experience shouldn't go?

Personally I don't think Cynthia should go, and it would be better for her to spend more time getting used to her new coach and preparing for next year, instead of going to Worlds. Amelie has more than proven herself this season... more than Katelyn has for sure!

vCash
    Not to mention that, having won nationals and therefore believed she was going to worlds and then instead being told by her federation "yes, you won, and you won every meeting between you and the second place skater this year but we really want one more chance to send someone else" could be a bit disheartening for Amelie and potentially affect her performance at 4CC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    The worst part is in yesterday's Globe and Mail (before the FS) there was a comment from Mike saying that if Katelyn Osmond won, she would go to worlds if she and her coach thought she was ready. Yet now he's saying that a woman who has been the best Canadian internationally AND has Worlds experience shouldn't go?

Personally I don't think Cynthia should go, and it would be better for her to spend more time getting used to her new coach and preparing for next year, instead of going to Worlds. Amelie has more than proven herself this season... more than Katelyn has for sure!
    that was the main reason I have a major problem with this - because skate canada is saying - hey a 16 year old with no international experience - who landed a triple triple for the first time - gets a ticket to worlds if she wins - but different rules for Amelie (who by the way landed a triple triple a few years ago too).. we forget that these are Canadian women who have issues with their mental strength - its not about landing the jumps - they can do them in practice - but this isn't helping their confidence by having different rules for different skaters - if Slipchuck had been quiet about Osmond and perhaps said instead said they were thinking of doing a skate off - I would have no issue with this at all - of course I want the best skater at Worlds- but sometimes the Principle and Ethics is far more important - this lacks transparency - it should be the same rules for all..

vCash
    I'm very happy that Amelie reached her goal of National champion but everytime I watch that program I just don't see how it compares on the world stage. It seems like a really good junior program to me. Cynthia has proven herself capable of being top 5 in the world. To be realistic if they want 2 spots next year Cynthia has the better chance of making that happen. Let us all remember back to 1996 when J-Slow beat Josee and they sent the champion...really!?! Josee would have been in the top 10 for sure and probably would have stayed in til Nagano completely rewriting the Canadian ladies history of the mid to late 1990's. I think they have learned from their mistake. Go with the better bet instead of taking their chances. GO CYNTHIA!!!!

vCash
    Not to mention the uproar when there was no 4CC faceoff back in 06 between Buttle and Ferreira. Buttle won the event (in usual, uhm, controversial way) while Ferriera was something like 125th.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast