Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

vCash
    Are the judges going to temper their scores for Davis And White too, Louis? Their 76+ SD score at the GPF was ridiculous considering it wasn't Latin in any sense of the imagination and Davis is skating like she's having seizures.

Eta: I don't know who your sources are but it'll be interesting to see if this actually happens. Because I get the distinct impression the ISU is really pushing for a lot of personal bests and new world records and I don't see why they wouldn't want that to happen at the biggest competition of the year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    Yuka coaches Eladj Balde (4th place). He switched to her just a couple of months ago.

I believe they are only allowed a maximum of 7 triples, which Patrick did (in addition to his 2 quads and double axel): 1 axel, 2 lutzes, a flip, a loop, a toe and a salchow.
    the men can only do 7 triples? Never knew that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Based on what I heard from after the GPF, I expect we'll see much more tempered scores at Worlds -- for everyone.

Similar conversations to what took place on this board were also happening among officials and power brokers within the sport. There is also the general sense that while Patrick Chan has some great qualities, so do many other skaters. Their federations are pushing this line quite hard and consistently, from what I've heard. Unless one skater is clean and the others all have errors, I expect we'll see a close men's competition at Worlds. That said, if Chan has two clean skates with three total quads, I think it will take a herculean effort to beat him. Takahashi may be the only one capable of it right now.
    No one is capable of beating a clean Chan right now...Too many areas for other to improve. Speed, transitions going into and out of jumps, footwork...No chance!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    the men can only do 7 triples? Never knew that.
    no, they can only do 8 max, and quads count as triples, so if chan does two 4t he can only do 6 triples and none of then can be a 3t.

vCash
    I think Chan has reached that status that he will go down as one of the greats in skating, even now. He is like the Midori Ito of this era, except it is the skating skills that he will be reknowned for. Whilst there have been many great skaters, his command of the blade on the ice is certainly one of the best ever.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    If he skated like that all the time nobody would have a problem with his winning every event by comfortable margins.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    Eta: I don't know who your sources are but it'll be interesting to see if this actually happens. Because I get the distinct impression the ISU is really pushing for a lot of personal bests and new world records and I don't see why they wouldn't want that to happen at the biggest competition of the year.
    It'll be interesting, because I get that feeling too.

vCash
    It was an incredible skate. I do agree though that there has to be some type of control over how high the marks can go .. I'm not just talking about Patrick or Nationals .. it seems every year to be a race to outscore the previous year's records and there has to be a control somewhere.

Having said that .. that program was gorgeous. He's a magificent skater there is just no denying that.

vCash
    The only possible way Patrick could have scored higher is if he did a 3-jump combo, like adding a double loop to the end of his 3f/3t (I think he usually does 3f/2t/2lp there).

When I was watching I told my mom that the flow he has makes it seem like he almost needs to reign it in a bit - he moves across the ice with almost too much speed and too much ease that if he gets any more coverage he'll be crashing into the boards again like he did at the GPF. IMO no other skater moves across the ice like he does... and he does barely any crossovers to get there!

vCash
    I love how the usual army of "Chanflation!!" "Why skate!!?" "Chan has a 5 errors margin!!" are all quiet now.

Patrick's performance at Nationals is how you shut your haters up!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Patrick is an amazing skater, no doubt.

The one area I think could use some improvement would be his spins. They're acceptable but just kind of okay, nothing special. His camel positions are not ideal.

His jumps are gorgeous and he's about the only skater out there that makes those step sequences really work. Beautiful.
    Yeah, I really like Patricks step sequences best. He did an awesome job but 300 points worth? Not sure but it's a national competition. We'll see how he does at Worlds in front of an international panel. I do think he's the one to beat.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    no, they can only do 8 max, and quads count as triples, so if chan does two 4t he can only do 6 triples and none of then can be a 3t.
    This isn't true. They are limited to 8 jumping passes, with only two triple or quad jumps able to be repeated. Chan repeats his 4T and 3Lz, so his long program has 2 quads, 7 triples, and a 2A.

Kevin Reynolds, for instance, has planned jump content in his free skate of:
    4S - 4T - 3A - 4Lo - 3F+3T+3Lo - 2A+3T - 3Lz - 3S+3Lo
    That's 3 quads, 8 triples, and a 2A...

vCash
    So if Chan masters the 4S, and keeps his 3A under control, he could theoretically do 2 quads, 2 triple axels, and 2 triple lutzs, or he could do 2 - 4T's, 2 - 4S, 1 - 3A ....

It makes me tired just thinking about it!
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    The only possible way Patrick could have scored higher is if he did a 3-jump combo, like adding a double loop to the end of his 3f/3t (I think he usually does 3f/2t/2lp there).

When I was watching I told my mom that the flow he has makes it seem like he almost needs to reign it in a bit - he moves across the ice with almost too much speed and too much ease that if he gets any more coverage he'll be crashing into the boards again like he did at the GPF. IMO no other skater moves across the ice like he does... and he does barely any crossovers to get there!
    The lutz sequence is his three jump combo: 3Lz+1Lo+3S

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    So if Chan masters the 4S, and keeps his 3A under control, he could theoretically do 2 quads, 2 triple axels, and 2 triple lutzs, or he could do 2 - 4T's, 2 - 4S, 1 - 3A ....

It makes me tired just thinking about it!
    Well I hear for his 2014 Olympic program he takes off for his first jump at the 20 second mark, then just stays in the air rotating for the rest of the program. In those first 20 seconds he does his amazing footwork and some spins. His outfit is made up of panties too.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    Well I hear for his 2014 Olympic program he takes off for his first jump at the 20 second mark, then just stays in the air rotating for the rest of the program. In those first 20 seconds he does his amazing footwork and some spins. His outfit is made up of panties too.
    Wow, he truly is amazing! I'm really looking forward to the panty outfit ... perhaps Vera Wang will design it for him

(I guess I should have actually noted that I was being sarcastic ....)
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash

no need

Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    Wow, he truly is amazing! I'm really looking forward to the panty outfit ... perhaps Vera Wang will design it for him

(I guess I should have actually noted that I was being sarcastic ....)
    the sarcasm was obvious too me and it made me lol

vCash
    OK, number crunchers (I'm too lazy to figure it out), what is a perfect score in Men's skating. Whatever it is, I doubt Patrick can achieve it, there is always some small error no matter how wonderful a skate is put out there. Think?
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Very good skating, ridiculous judging.

I don't understand why Skate Canada insists on making their Nationals results a laughing stock.

Similar conversations to what took place on this board were also happening among officials and power brokers within the sport. There is also the general sense that while Patrick Chan has some great qualities, so do many other skaters.
    No other skater comes anywhere near the overall package of superior skills that Chan has. Not by a mile.

Because he has the best skating skills in the world, he builds speed so easily he can afford himself tons of transitions his programs and one element just blends into another. He has good posture and lines and generally skates to the music.

The only weak point I can see is Lori Nichol's lazy, recycled choreography, which lacks character. But then it's not like his main rivals really outshine him on that part, save for Takahashi and Abbott.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 01-24-2012 at 12:52 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    What???

That skaters can do as many jumps as they like provided they follow all the rules. The men have 8 jumping passes, three of which can be combos or sequences - one of which can be a three jump combination. Zayak rule says any jump of three revolutions or more can only be repeated once (provided it's in combination or sequence) and you can only repeat two jumps maximum. For Zayak purposes quads are seen as a different type of jump from triples. A skater could do two quad toes (one in combo) and two triple toes (one in combo). Also one of the jumps must be an axel jump.

Every skater can work out what fits best but there is certainly no express number of maximum triple jumps anywhere in the rules.

vCash
    Based on what I heard from after the GPF, I expect we'll see much more tempered scores at Worlds -- for everyone.
    They could temper the huge scores/margins of victory/unsurmountable leads after the short by going back to factored placements.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast