Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Patrick Chan - 300 points total - discuss

Hey there,

Just finished watching Patricks free skate in Moncton. Just enough performance and room to peak at Worlds. Interested to see people's posts.....

vCash

interested to see what others have to say...

patrick was pretty clean...but can be just slightly better such as the 4t-3t...rather than the 4t-2t he did in the lp....his footwork was pretty sublime tho he might be able to do it slightly better...who knows...if he skates that way at worlds dont think anyone could beat him but you never know...his 3 axel looks more solid, of course probably jinxing him in saying that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vmfan View Post
    patrick was pretty clean...but can be just slightly better such as the 4t-3t...rather than the 4t-2t he did in the lp....his footwork was pretty sublime tho he might be able to do it slightly better...who knows...if he skates that way at worlds dont think anyone could beat him but you never know...his 3 axel looks more solid, of course probably jinxing him in saying that.
    No.. what he did was better, actually... adding the 3T onto the flip.. cuz then he also got the bonus for it being in the 2nd half. If he had done it at the beginning he would only have been able to do a double there.

vCash

oops

Quote Originally Posted by Spazactaz View Post
    No.. what he did was better, actually... adding the 3T onto the flip.. cuz then he also got the bonus for it being in the 2nd half. If he had done it at the beginning he would only have been able to do a double there.
    i stand corrected....

vCash
    Patrick is an amazing skater, no doubt.

The one area I think could use some improvement would be his spins. They're acceptable but just kind of okay, nothing special. His camel positions are not ideal.

His jumps are gorgeous and he's about the only skater out there that makes those step sequences really work. Beautiful.

vCash
    Totally disagree, his spins have improved a lot, they are very good now, so NO, I don't think he needs to be Ruh, or Lambie,l in terms of spins to make his mark on skating as he is a much more total complete and sublime package.

vCash
    His spins are great. Fast, well centered, good positions. Orser was talking on Ctv about his good spins.

vCash
    Level 4 footwork in the free? Though it's worth noting that when he started doing two quads in the LP, he was unable to do that

vCash
    If he does what he did here at nationals at worlds, he will not be beat by anyone, no matter what they do (unless they show up with all 5 different quads). This season. He is also riding a wave of momentum right now, and I think that will carry right to the world championships, but i do think there is still room for improvement.

Quad double toe could be better, he was a little on the heel for the quad, triple triple he did later in the program, the toe could have been a bit smoother coming out, slow freeleg. Tiny things he can iron out. Footwork and linking choreography is gorgeous as usual, but I don't think he has "peaked" with the perfect skate yet, albeit VERY close to it.

vCash
    He usually does the combo on the 2nd quad instead of the 1st, IIRC. I think he tacked it onto the first because without it he would have stepped out. He saved his jump by adding another one - quick thinking.

Yes, his points are ridonculously high, but this is Canadians and for a national competition, he deserved it. We have to remember, he got 93 points for the SP at worlds last year, and almost 188 in the FP (with a step out), totaling almost 281. It's really not that unreasonable when you consider he's constantly improving.

And... last year at Canadians he had a lights out clean free and won Worlds handily skating almost perfectly. This year at Canadians he had a lights out clean free... will it be the same?

vCash
    It was a beautiful skate.

vCash
    any vids yet?

vCash
    SP
    LP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazactaz View Post
    Not true. He only did one triple toe. He could have done another one.

vCash
    His competitors at World are probably hoping right now that Patrick peaked at Nationals

vCash
    At the end of the SP video, they showed Yuka Sato and Brian Orser backstage. I can understand why Brian was there but why was Yuka? Does she train a Canadian men's skater?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TwizzlerS View Post
    At the end of the SP video, they showed Yuka Sato and Brian Orser backstage. I can understand why Brian was there but why was Yuka? Does she train a Canadian men's skater?
    Yuka coaches Eladj Balde (4th place). He switched to her just a couple of months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    I believe they are only allowed a maximum of 7 triples, which Patrick did (in addition to his 2 quads and double axel): 1 axel, 2 lutzes, a flip, a loop, a toe and a salchow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    No, he couldn't have. He repeats the lutz and the quad toe. Another triple toe elsewhere and he'd have Oda'd himeslf.

vCash
    Jeez, 61 points between Chan and the silver medalist. What a predicament for the other male competitors.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I am not a Patrick Chan fan by any means but when he skates like that he can get a 5000 for all I care. He deserves to win so his score isn't really important. That was a master piece. I hope he can maintain this through Worlds because it is scary to think he hasn't peaked yet.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast