Thread: Myriane Samson?

vCash

Myriane Samson?

Hi Everyone,

I must have missed something this season... but I'm wondering where Myriane Samson is these days? I see she is not at the Nationals this year?

Has she retired? Is she injured? Or...?

Thanks!

vCash
    She injured her knee last year, and I think it's still giving her grief. So, she's just injured. I think it's in a thread on FSU somewhere, but I'm too lazy to find it.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    There was a mention at the beginning of the season, maybe on the Skate Canada site?, that said she expected to compete at Nationals, but it looks like her injury didn't heal in time.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Thanks very much you guys!

vCash
    I talked to her at Skate Canada. She ended up having surgery on her ankle and at the time said she had a 50-50 chance of making it to nationals. I asked her if she would come back next season if she didn't get to nationals and she was adamant that she was returning to competitive skating no matter what.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Good to hear. Looking forward to seeing her at Canadians next year.

Sorry, but calling it Nationals just ticks me off to no end and no idea why that's being pushed so hard. To me, "Nationals" are *US* Nationals. Not Canadians.

Can you tell that's been beyond bugging me?

Hope Myriane's back on that ice and soon. She's been greatly missed this Season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post

Sorry, but calling it Nationals just ticks me off to no end and no idea why that's being pushed so hard. To me, "Nationals" are *US* Nationals. Not Canadians.

Hope Myriane's back on that ice and soon. She's been greatly missed this Season.
    Err, what? To say only US Nationals are "Nationals" is beyond obnoxious. Skating is not US-centric. Russian, Canadian, Mexican national championships are just as much "Nationals" as US Nationals.

vCash
    Yeah, what?

vCash
    Yeah really. You may need to see someone to help you get through that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post

This comment had me looking at it not once, twice but thrice.

Nationals has always meant a competition within a country to determine the best within that country. To assume it refers only to US Nationals is using a rather ... narrow scope.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    This comment had me looking at it not once, twice but thrice.

Nationals has always meant a competition within a country to determine the best within that country. To assume it refers only to US Nationals is using a rather ... narrow scope.
    Exactly. I'm wondering if we're misunderstanding the original poster somehow. Because, yeah, the Canadian championships *are* Nationals and people *do* call them that. Actually, my experience is that fans are more likely to call it "Canadians" but the actual skaters are more likely to call it "Nationals".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock2 View Post
    Yeah really. You may need to see someone to help you get through that.

Are you from the US, Aragorn?

vCash
    hmm - I have personally always thought of them as the "Canadians" but unless someone referred to them as US Nationals, unless I knew that person was from the US I would think of Canadian Nationals.

On the other hand I can see how a person can get bugged by something like that. When I was younger I was always upset that those south of the border were referred to as being the Americans when those of us North of the border also live in North America so have at least an equal claim to that name - not to mention those in Central and South America.

vCash
    To make life simplier for me I usually refer to national championships (and their winners) as something like
    Russian Nats
    US Nats
    Canadian Nats
    French Nats
    that way, I know to which national team member I am referring.

Skate Talker - having lived in a border city all my life, I was never bugged by calling our friends to the south as Americans because of the reference to the name of their country. We live in Canada, hence we are called Canadians; those who live in Russia are called Russians etc etc etc. Those who live in the United States of America - well Americans seems to work for me. I have no problem referring to people by the country they live in - it tends to be the norm. One *could* call people by the continent in which they live and if that were true, we would be North Americans so as not to be confused with those who live in South America. If we called those in North America as Americans, then what would we call those in South America? Americans II?

Anyway, back to the topic of hand ... whatever that was
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    They are indeed our 'Nationals', but it has always been the tradition to call them 'Canadians'. Ask any competitive Canadian skater from any era and they will call them 'Canadians', and other competitive skaters will understand precisely what they mean. Calling the competition 'nationals' is a change. Maybe it's a pr directive for the athletes to start using 'nationals' or maybe it's just media exposure to the U.S., but nevertheless it is a change.
    I have always called it 'Canadians' and feel funny calling the competition 'nationals'.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash

Sorry to hijack the topic

Nationals or Canadians, they really could have used a healthy Samson this year.

The technical standard in the ladies event apart from Osmond's SP was a bit low.

Apparently there is a bit of a to do regarding which skater, LaCoste or Phaneuf, will be sent to Worlds. Amelie's success rate with the flip and the lutz isn't very secure.

Personally, the 5th place Cynthia earned in 2010 has probably been the worst thing that happened to her. The pressure to reach that level of skating again appears to have been more than she can handle.

Hopefully, her arrangement with Orser will begin to produce results worthy of her talent soon.

vCash
    OPPS!

vCash
    Nationals or Canadians are used fairly interchangeably in my experience, and it's pretty common for skaters themselves to refer to it as Nationals. I don't think anyone cares whether you call it Canadians, it's more the outrage over *gasp* a non-American competition being termed "Nationals" that has me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    To make life simplier for me I usually refer to national championships (and their winners) as something like
    Russian Nats
    US Nats
    Canadian Nats
    French Nats
    that way, I know to which national team member I am referring.

Skate Talker - having lived in a border city all my life, I was never bugged by calling our friends to the south as Americans because of the reference to the name of their country. We live in Canada, hence we are called Canadians; those who live in Russia are called Russians etc etc etc. Those who live in the United States of America - well Americans seems to work for me. I have no problem referring to people by the country they live in - it tends to be the norm. One *could* call people by the continent in which they live and if that were true, we would be North Americans so as not to be confused with those who live in South America. If we called those in North America as Americans, then what would we call those in South America? Americans II?

Anyway, back to the topic of hand ... whatever that was
    Hiya pd - well I call people from Europe Europeans, and people from Asia Asians in addition to referring to them by their specific country of origin, so that is why I feel that more than just those from the USA should "own" the title of Americans. And you are right - my bad continuing to hijack the thread this way.

I miss Myriam too. Canadians sure could have used her this year.

vCash
    Can you imagine if Myriam had skated? We might be having a three-way battle at 4CC to determine who is going to Worlds
    Crazy about sports!