Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Castor/caster sugar is very fine sugar, in the US it's called superfine sugar and it's the same in Canada.

vCash
    My favorite salad these days is romaine lettuce with carrots, dried cranberries, sometimes a few chopped walnuts, a little shredded monterey-jack cheese, and chopped gala apples, with a little ranch dressing or roasted onion parmesan dressing. Yum.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    I would really like to have a good salad, but I am scared to death to try one. I've had real issues with lettuce (iceberg, and occasional romaine). I get horrible stomach aches afterwards....does anyone have any salad suggestions or perhaps a different type of lettuce that is easier on the digestion?
    You might want to stay away from bagged/pre-washed greens. They say they are clean, but so often I found that they smelled musty (same with baby carrots), and later I found out that there are chemicals that processors are allowed to use to clean and preserve but don't have to report, like ammonia. Makes sense when you consider that greens you prepare at home only last so long before they wilt and brown, and yet those bags have expiry dates that are sometimes weeks away.

I suggest buying your greens as whole as possible, washing in a sinkload of water, draining and doing a second sinkload if necessary, then using a salad spinner or paper towels to dry. Then just cut or tear to size yourself.

I know the bagged/pre "washed" veggies are convenient, but the process really just takes a few minutes and in the end might be worth it if you have a sensitive stomach. I actually find preparing salad and veggies rather soothing with all the chopping and making the dressing or sauce - kind of like some people find knitting therapeutic I guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    I would really like to have a good salad, but I am scared to death to try one. I've had real issues with lettuce (iceberg, and occasional romaine). I get horrible stomach aches afterwards....does anyone have any salad suggestions or perhaps a different type of lettuce that is easier on the digestion?
    I always go for more nutrients packed greens like spinach and then mix it with vegetables that are brightly colored like red cabbage, red bell pepper, baby carrots, etc., for their anti-oxidants benefits.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Castor/caster sugar is very fine sugar, in the US it's called superfine sugar and it's the same in Canada.
    Ah ha!! Mom and I both thought we ought to know what it was, but came up w/nothing. Thanks Angelskates!!

vCash
    Thank you guys so much for your suggestions....I am going to try to incorporate some of these in my diet, even though I'm a little nervous about the lettuce. I haven't eaten off a salad bar in years, nor have I bought pre-washed greens. I will try to buy whole bunches of lettuce and see if it makes a difference.

Greek salad never occurred to me, and that's an excellent idea!

I will let you all know how it turns out. Fingers crossed!!
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    If you find organic lettuce is better for you, it's super easy to grow. All you need is a tiny bit of land or a window box and some seeds and away it goes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12