Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 137
  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Kanada
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,056
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I'm also in the camp of "I'll believe it when I see it." I don't see Weir getting a quad though since he never had the jump when he was competing.
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Ah yes, the Official Six-Minute Warm-Up Championships.

    I'll believe this when I see it too.

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,340
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    All ye of little faith --

    I'll believe it when I see it too (and I'm not talking about Johnny landing a quad either). Yep, Plush and Johnny on Sochi Olympic ice. Will wonders never cease!

    As I said before, I'd rather see them competing on a pro circuit, but there aren't any. Good for the old geezers to try, right? Kinda inspiring perhaps? Or, maybe not. Guess it goes to show it's pretty hard for many athletes to let go of their competitive life, to let go of a part of their "soul."

    Seeing is definitely believing... if not rooting for or cheering them on. I do root for Johnny to succeed in making himself and his fans happy, whatever that on-ice happiness ultimately turns out to be.

    It is quite interesting that Johnny landed that quad, triple, double seemingly so effortlessly in practice, but never attempted such a combo in competition, and clearly had trouble cleanly landing a solo quad in competition. But again, I doubt Johnny is dreaming of quads necessarily in his comeback, but again who knows. Seeing is believing...

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,735
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'll believe it when I see it, but I'll be very happy if I do see it. If all the people who have said they will come back/continue on until Sochi will do so, it'll be the oldest Olympics field in decades, wouldn't it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    He's keeping his last name----thought he might hyphenate---or change, since he is so en enamored of things Russian. Hope he has the discipline to make a real go of it.
    Apparently Johnny and Victor are both hyphenating (Weir-Voronov), but Johnny will continue using Weir professionally. I read about it in People so it must be true.

  4. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,945
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ..Heeeeeeerrrrrre's JOHNNY!

  5. #45

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,573
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42553
    Here's a more detailed article about Weir's planned comeback: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news (ETA: audio of his press conference is linked)
    Weir, whose last competitive result was a sixth-place finish at the 2010 Olympics, plans to skate three hours a day, work out off the ice and regain his competitive mettle at summer competitions, including the Moran Memorial in Hackensack and the Mid-Atlantic Figure Skating Championships, held at New York's Chelsea Piers.
    ...
    "My hope right now is that I can get at least one Grand Prix, even if it's just Skate America. The United States Figure Skating Association is aware of all this and is very supportive of me. I'm not going into the competitive season with any airs; I'm just one of the people, no special treatment.
    Moran Memorial is usually held in late August and Middle Atlantics in mid-September.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-20-2012 at 03:05 PM.

  6. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,511
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm not a fan of him any where else but I'm a massive fan of his staking so I hope his come back attempt is successful and injury lite!!! Good luck Johnny

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,281
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Listened to hius "press conference"

    IMHO it's not going to work out well.

    1. Tara is still there... REALLY? Good luck Weir, she will probably have some "plans"
    2. He's not going to give things up in spite of what he says... Listen to him. "I don't wnat to give it up" He's spending WAY too much time in the interview talking about what he's giving up. He's giving up everything except "one fashion show", commentating on IN, going to Asia for a show, (And that's just until Tara decides that he HAS to show up for her shows) He's already "regretting" giving up stuff.... when his husband goes out to party what's he going to do. When he realizes his new "friends" are only around for "party" then what?

    I think he was one of the most beautiful skaters ever. And COP should have been his friend. It rewards those things he did so well. Transistions, spins etc... but he let it go for some reason.

    Why do I think that the lead up to Sochi for the men is going to be "OMG why did they decide to make a fool of themselves" Lots of skaters who probably should have hung it up are out there desperately seeking one more moment of "glory"

  8. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,890
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    I think he was one of the most beautiful skaters ever. And COP should have been his friend. It rewards those things he did so well. Transistions, spins etc... but he let it go for some reason.
    this.

    Don't flame me,but he reminds me of Harding. Both insanely talented. Both their own worst enemies. Yet it was all usfs who was out to get them's fault.

    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Why do I think that the lead up to Sochi for the men is going to be "OMG why did they decide to make a fool of themselves" Lots of skaters who probably should have hung it up are out there desperately seeking one more moment of "glory"
    so, it willbe like Lillehammer and slc then

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,865
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    Maybe they realize that Johnny puts butts in the seats.
    Yes, he does. Best of luck to you, Johnny! Congratulations on your recent marriage!

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,281
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I just hope the "butts in the seats" aren't there to watch the train wreck. Sadly, "train wrecks" draw viewers too....

  11. #51

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    7,155
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    44806
    He's already "regretting" giving up stuff.... when his husband goes out to party what's he going to do. When he realizes his new "friends" are only around for "party" then what?
    How do you KNOW this?
    Maybe Johnny feels that now that his personal life is in order and he is happy, why not try a comeback.
    It is nice to see Johnny so happy.

  12. #52

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,281
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    How do you KNOW this?
    Maybe Johnny feels that now that his personal life is in order and he is happy, why not try a comeback.
    It is nice to see Johnny so happy.
    I am just saying "what if"

    And I do think a lot of his "new friends" are not in it for "cold ice rinks" but for "see and be seen"

    I can't tell if he's happy or not. It's a press conference announcing something good. You are suppose to "be happy".... does that mean you really are? Who knows besides him? We sure don't.

    I would LOVE for him to return to his great style and form. I am not sure it's enough and I fear he may wind up like several others who have tried it. I think he's going to have to "be better" then he was during the last Olympic cycle. Even making the World/Olympic team is far from assured.

  13. #53
    Fetalized since 1998
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Waving my Adam banner
    Posts
    2,586
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33733
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    I am just saying "what if"

    And I do think a lot of his "new friends" are not in it for "cold ice rinks" but for "see and be seen"

    I can't tell if he's happy or not. It's a press conference announcing something good. You are suppose to "be happy".... does that mean you really are? Who knows besides him? We sure don't.

    I would LOVE for him to return to his great style and form. I am not sure it's enough and I fear he may wind up like several others who have tried it. I think he's going to have to "be better" then he was during the last Olympic cycle. Even making the World/Olympic team is far from assured.
    Well,that's true of everybody who says.."I am so happy to be back involved with the sport.." Blah, blah, blah.. Should I assume that Nicole, Kimmie, Tara, Sarah, etc are all lying? Or just Johnny..??

  14. #54

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,281
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Well,that's true of everybody who says.."I am so happy to be back involved with the sport.." Blah, blah, blah.. Should I assume that Nicole, Kimmie, Tara, Sarah, etc are all lying? Or just Johnny..??
    Well I have no idea if they were happy or not.

    Unlike others I don't try to pass 'judgement" on mental state or health based on press conferences etc... Only the skater knows the truth on this.

    I hope that they came back because they "wanted too" and it makes them happy, but there are times I think comebacks are because "well... I don't have anything else to do" Not saying they still aren't "happy"

    I expect he is "happy" right now. (Not sure how much of it's skating and how much is love... love is always good) But I am not a "mind reader" and don't "assume".

  15. #55
    Fetalized since 1998
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Waving my Adam banner
    Posts
    2,586
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33733
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Well I have no idea if they were happy or not.

    Unlike others I don't try to pass 'judgement" on mental state or health based on press conferences etc... Only the skater knows the truth on this.

    I hope that they came back because they "wanted too" and it makes them happy, but there are times I think comebacks are because "well... I don't have anything else to do" Not saying they still aren't "happy"

    I expect he is "happy" right now. (Not sure how much of it's skating and how much is love... love is always good) But I am not a "mind reader" and don't "assume".
    But you are passing judgement by bringing it up. And, all anyone of us has are the words..until actions prove otherwise. Is this a publicity stunt? Maybe or maybe not. Can he do it? Maybe or maybe not.

    The most amusing part of this for me is the Ice Network gig and the supposed USFSA support, but we know how fickle the powers that be are...

    Bring on the funk, bring on the boyz..

  16. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,340
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Carolla5501 You say you are not "a mind reader," and you "don't assume." But a lot of what you've said seems to me to be based on your assumptions:

    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Listened to hius "press conference"

    IMHO it's not going to work out well.

    1. Tara is still there... REALLY? Good luck Weir, she will probably have some "plans"
    2. He's not going to give things up in spite of what he says... Listen to him. "I don't wnat to give it up" He's spending WAY too much time in the interview talking about what he's giving up... (And that's just until Tara decides that he HAS to show up for her shows)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    ... And I do think a lot of his "new friends" are not in it for "cold ice rinks" but for "see and be seen" ...
    I would LOVE for him to return to his great style and form. I am not sure it's enough and I fear he may wind up like several others who have tried it. I think he's going to have to "be better" then he was during the last Olympic cycle...
    Fine, all those interested in doing so can continue playing devil's advocate. OTOH, those who say they really love Johnny's skating, but boy "he gave up on his transitions...," and those who seem to be hyperventilating for Johnny and over-analyzing everything he said in the press conference, guess what? I'd rather be in Johnny's position: admired and loved by fans all over the World; in love and happy with someone as handsome, as kind and as supportive as Victor seems to be; fulfilled by achieving many off-ice dreams; still fit, sexy and he knows it; able to command and entertain an arena with his skating (so what the jury's still out on achieving an eligible comeback); and met and made friends with people from all walks of life, rather than just sitting in front of a computer screen as a skating fan dissecting diva bitch's emotions, motivations, past skating career and future skating prospects. Yep, I'd rather be in Johnny's position, but I'm not either.

    It seems to me from the people I know who know him well that Johnny doesn't make friends lightly -- and although he may have been enjoying a lot of the "party" life, he is not simply a "party animal." Johnny has also been working his butt off doing shows, making work-related and charitable related appearances; working on ad campaigns, designing clothes, appearing on tv shows; doing print and video interviews; appearing in the famous parade last November; meeting with movers and shakers to confer about possible future projects. He's explained why he wants to come back. And I think it's pretty clear that Johnny Weir doesn't do anything half-way. He's going to give it his full effort. Sure it might be a stretch to be at full competitive strength and endurance, but I take Johnny at his word: Skating is a part of his soul, and he wants to come back to make himself and his fans happy.

    All those trying to bring down Johnny's fans' and admirers' enthusiasm for his goal and his desire and intent to come back as an eligible skater, keep trying, but YOU WILL NOT SUCCEED!*

    More power to ya, Johnny! Ha ha

    *And it don't matter if Johnny succeeds in his comeback effort. What matters is his effort. What matters is the love he gives, and the love he receives in return. For what it's worth naysayers, ultimately LOVE is all that matters.

    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    ...

    Bring on the funk, bring on the boyz..
    Yahoo! Couldn't have said it better myself, kwanette! Wheeee....

  17. #57

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,186
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3200
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Well I have no idea if they were happy or not.

    Unlike others I don't try to pass 'judgement" on mental state or health based on press conferences etc... Only the skater knows the truth on this.

    I hope that they came back because they "wanted too" and it makes them happy, but there are times I think comebacks are because "well... I don't have anything else to do" Not saying they still aren't "happy"

    I expect he is "happy" right now. (Not sure how much of it's skating and how much is love... love is always good) But I am not a "mind reader" and don't "assume".
    You're imagining all those scenarios that you don't even know exist. Only time will tell if he can stick it out for the long term. I certainly hope so. The men's field just became a whole lot more interesting, that's for sure.

  18. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,873
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I'm also in the camp of "I'll believe it when I see it." I don't see Weir getting a quad though since he never had the jump when he was competing.
    A quad is not enough to make him competitive as he was not able to skate to CoP choreography in 2010 which was the cause for his Olympic PCS scores.

  19. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,340
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^^ Like I said, keep tryin'...

  20. #60

    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,610
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2138
    I don't see how this is going to work - what he said was his finest skate landed him in an appropriate 6th place in Vancouver. I can't believe that he has more than that in him as he gets older and the field of competitive men moves on and up from Vancouver levels (and they really are).

    Skaters don't make Olympic teams on 3 hours of skating a day; skaters make Olympic teams on 7 or 8 hours of work a day and not much in terms of distractions. I have always been impressed by exactly how much hard work with an unflagging focus it takes to even make a team - that hasn't changed. I think his plan as he described it is to do this "on the cheap" in terms of investment of time, energy and focus. That just never works, not for anyone.

    I think he should do what he would like to do; I hope however that no younger skater who needs USFSA financial support has to wait in line for a few additional years or get less support because those dollars are going to Johnny. Try to come back, sure, but with his own (or privately raised) dollars.
    Last edited by Willowway; 01-20-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •