Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    I don't think so. Didn't Michael Weiss win U.S. Nationals at least once? He got married when he was very young, around 20 or so.
    considering that Turner, Niles, and Christenson were 33, 40 and 51 respectively, I hope they were married, for their sakes.

vCash
    He's keeping his last name----thought he might hyphenate---or change, since he is so en enamored of things Russian. Hope he has the discipline to make a real go of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    so... I assume he qualifies, but... he was 3rd at his last worlds, but then skated for two more seasons, he just didn't go to worlds.
    In that case I don't think he meets the criteria. Sounds like he had to top 6 his last season

vCash
    Go for the moon, Johnny!

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    I hope that he gets SA. Johnny puts butts in seats.

a monkey stole my title
    vCash
    I wonder if he's already negotiated a contract with USFSA.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    My first reaction:
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazactaz View Post
    YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!
    My second reaction:
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I'll believe it when I see it, same as with Evan. More power to both of them if they do it.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    The bitch is back!
    Well, that's tactful.....
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    He loves Russia-- I imagine he is very motivated to be there.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    It will be interesting to see how the ISU interprets its own wording on the comeback clauses.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I don't quite understand him wanting to come back after he felt that he never got the marks he deserved in the past nor the full support from the USFSA...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by seaner00 View Post
    I don't quite understand him wanting to come back after he felt that he never got the marks he deserved in the past nor the full support from the USFSA...
    I've actually noticed that USFSA has been treating him rather nicely since he retired. There have been lots of Johnny-related positive articles on Icenetworks in the last year or so. Maybe USFSA has changed its mind about Johnny.

ETA: In fact, he says in his press conference that he's hoping for SA, and USFSA has been aware of "all this" and has been very supportive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    I've actually noticed that USFSA has been treating him rather nicely since he retired. There have been lots of Johnny-related positive articles on Icenetworks in the last year or so. Maybe USFSA has changed its mind about Johnny.
    Maybe they realize that Johnny puts butts in the seats.

vCash
    I wish him well, but I honestly don't think it's gonna happen. I would be happy to be proven wrong!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    I'm also in the camp of "I'll believe it when I see it." I don't see Weir getting a quad though since he never had the jump when he was competing.

vCash
    I would be great to have Johnny back in the mix.

vCash
    "I'm trying to find way with my music editor to mix Carmen with Lady Gaga," Weir said.

Best skating quote ever? hahahaha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    Maybe they realize that Johnny puts butts in the seats.
    Or perhaps they never actually had a problem with him in the first place.

vCash
    ^^ Never had a problem with him. Surely you jest! Let's not rewrite history. Clearly many people within the skating world including judges and powers that be in the U.S. fed had conflicts with Johnny. Read his book -- he admits his own mistakes and he reveals various run-ins with skating authorities. I certainly think it is also true that not everyone was always against Johnny and that sometimes he was his own worst enemy. However, the thing that maybe some would like to now ignore or downplay is that many people in skating were (some still are) uncomfortable with Johnny's outspoken behavior, his unwillingness to conform, and his desire to just be who he is and not try to pretend to be what he is not.

Maybe now that "they" see how much the rest of the world loves Johnny and how marketable he is, "they" are more serious about taking him seriously.

Perhaps "they" read his book and understand him better, or perhaps not. Johnny did say on his official site that he's achieved a lot of personal things he has dreamed about off the ice, but that "skating is rooted deep in my soul." He has been quite successful and happy off the ice. Perhaps he would like to see if he can come back and achieve some happiness for himself and for his fans on the ice -- b/c I don't think he was often very happy at times during his skating career for different reasons.

Success on the ice, does not have to equate to winning an Olympic gold medal, or even being on the Olympic podium. Johnny might be happy just making the U.S. Olympic team again, and skating a beautiful personally redemptive program and perhaps competing in the team event in Sochi.

I take Johnny at his word. He'd already mentioned recently that he was going to start training again and then confer with his coach about whether he could get himself in good shape to come back, and whether or not he still had enough to come back. I am just surprised that the announcement came now. I had expected it might come sometime later, around Worlds.

Kinda funny about those casting aspersions b/c Johnny made the announcement now. If the timing is right and it also coincides with the upcoming U.S. Nationals which will bring his announcement more attention from the wider media, I ask, "What exactly is wrong with that, anything?" And my answer, "Absolutely nothing!" Smart, savvy, and marketable. Whether or not his comeback ultimately succeeds, whether or not he lands a quad, yep, "the bitch is back." Deal with it.

I've said before I'd rather see a pro circuit where veterans like Evan, Plush, Johnny, Lamby and others can compete. But the eligible landscape is changing with the team event, and it seems like Plush and Johnny are excited about the opportunity to compete at an Olympics in Russia.

ETA: Ha ha, gotta celebrate my 1,000th post!
    Last edited by aftershocks; 01-20-2012 at 05:51 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I'm also in the camp of "I'll believe it when I see it." I don't see Weir getting a quad though since he never had the jump when he was competing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUldWQuk0TE

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast