Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Adventure of the Seas

Does anyone know which skaters are currently on Adventure of the Seas? So
    Someone I know is sailing in 2 weeks and wants to know who she will see Thanks

vCash
    The website does not list any skaters names, just basics about the shows.

I would not expect to see any "stars," she is likely to see Nationals level skaters who didn't place high enough to be on World or Olympic teams, or even skaters who never made it to Nationals but tried out for the cruise shows and were accepted. That said, it should still be an enjoyable show. Royal Caribbean lists a skater named Matt Kessinger as Ice Captain for the Mariner of the Seas. He listed himself participating in the Olympic trials in 1998. I don't recall him ever medalling at Nationals in the Senior level, but he certainly seems to be enjoying what he does now!

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allabo...?INTERVIEWID=7

Also, note that he points out there is no "lead skater."
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    The website does not list any skaters names, just basics about the shows.

I would not expect to see any "stars," she is likely to see Nationals level skaters who didn't place high enough to be on World or Olympic teams, or even skaters who never made it to Nationals but tried out for the cruise shows and were accepted. That said, it should still be an enjoyable show. Royal Caribbean lists a skater named Matt Kessinger as Ice Captain for the Mariner of the Seas. He listed himself participating in the Olympic trials in 1998. I don't recall him ever medalling at Nationals in the Senior level, but he certainly seems to be enjoying what he does now!

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allabo...?INTERVIEWID=7

Also, note that he points out there is no "lead skater."

Actually there have been several national canadian skaters who also had internationals that have been skaters - I believe Christopher Maybee was one and others too? I also had a friend who watched the show on the cruise and was surprised how good it was and compared it to any of the fluff events you see on land.. so have fun
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    Actually there have been several national canadian skaters who also had internationals that have been skaters - I believe Christopher Maybee was one and others too? I also had a friend who watched the show on the cruise and was surprised how good it was and compared it to any of the fluff events you see on land.. so have fun
    As far as I know, Chris Mabee is still working the cruise ship circuit, although I couldn't tell you exactly where. He's the only elite international skater I can think of ('06 4CC Silver Medalist, '07 Canadian Silver Medalist and World team member).

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Vaughn Chipeur has done them as well
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Sean Rodgers has been quoted in an ice network articles saying he can do a quad on the teeny tiny cruise ship ice rinks.

Even if they aren't "big names" RCCL only uses excellent skaters.

(The one Sylvia linked to isn't the one I was talking about- it was in one of the Inside Edge Columns)

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Here's an article from last year: Shaun Rogers feels the "Allure of the Seas"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Royal Caribbean lists a skater named Matt Kessinger as Ice Captain for the Mariner of the Seas. He listed himself participating in the Olympic trials in 1998. I don't recall him ever medalling at Nationals in the Senior level, but he certainly seems to be enjoying what he does now!
    I remember seeing Matt's Nationals freeskate on TV. It's nice to hear him doing well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Here's an article from last year: Shaun Rogers feels the "Allure of the Seas"
    I took the cruise last year-- Chris Mabee was the skate manager or some sort-- Shaun was on board, a girl from Salt Lake City whose name escapes me (she was with Szabovcik when she was eligible), and there was a US pairs team who were just asked to leave before we boarded the ship-- they weren't a team when they were eligible-- but professionally. There was a British male with an American female partner, too.

vCash
    Shaun Rogers, Emma Phibbs, Katie Orscher and Michael Felding are on Adventure now!!!! There are more, but not sure who

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    I took the cruise last year-- Chris Mabee was the skate manager or some sort-- Shaun was on board, a girl from Salt Lake City whose name escapes me (she was with Szabovcik when she was eligible), and there was a US pairs team who were just asked to leave before we boarded the ship-- they weren't a team when they were eligible-- but professionally. There was a British male with an American female partner, too.
    How was the quality of the skating and the show in general?

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    (snip)...there was a US pairs team who were just asked to leave before we boarded the ship-- they weren't a team when they were eligible-- but professionally.
    Do you know why?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    The shows involve harnesses and a bit of flying so it's quite exciting. The ice is very small but you'll still see some decent jumps and spins. I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the shows. Of course a few minutes (hours... days...) in the Martini bar before the show really helps.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    When I was on mariner of the seas a couple of years ago the had mainly russian junior skaters. But the show was wonderful. Amazing what the can do on a tiny ice surface. I am going on liberty and I will post if there is anyone I recognize...

Chris maybee has been on oasis and independence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Cheesy, but fun.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Do you know why?
    Yes.

vCash
    I worked with Shelby Lyons on the Adventure in 2002....teeny little thing. Needed a size 2 character shoe for the parade, which we just about never found.

vCash
    IIRC Erica Risseeuw and Robert Paxton are there (although they might not be now but it sounds familiar so I have a feeling that is the one they joined.)
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Yes.
    Tease.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash

Adventure of the Seas

I know that Emma Phibbs and Dimitry Semykin are on along with Katie Orscher and Shaun Rogers! Great cast!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast