Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Who did you see as the top two, I've gotta ask?

vCash
    I saw Domnina/Shabalin as the favourites-going in as World champions.
    Delobel & Schoenfelder as possible medalists.
    Virtue & Moir also, & maybe Belbin & Agosto as current World Silver medalists.
    Davis & White making top five. I thought maybe they would drop down with Delobel & Schoenfelder returning.
    After the compulsory dance it became clear that the judges were giving the thumbs down to the French & with the talk over Domnina & Shabalin's original dance that the two North American couples going for the gold.

vCash
    I'm sorry, but by the time of Vancouver, both V/M and D/W were way better than DomShabs and B/A. DomShabs shouldn't even have won the Europeans that year.

I do agree the judges were too harsh on Delobel/Schoenfelder, though.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    From the time V/M entered seniors the push was on for them for the OLY podium in 2010. Their first yr in seniors they were already being likened to T/D. As much as I liked the French, Olivier in particular, I think that they were thrown a bone in 2008.IMHO, the joke in 08, was the other Russian team making the podium. After Worlds in 07, I think the ISU was pretty much done, for the most part, with Tanith and Ben.And Tanith's fall in 08 made it very easy for them.IMHO, I would have had the two American teams on the Worlds podium along with V/M and the Dom/Shabs no where near it (Worlds 09) In 09, D/W were thrown under the bus at Worlds. Re: the Oly, I thought that the first two were placed correctly. But I thought that the Dom/Shabs were a hot mess. Linichuk did B/A no favors with their programs or those embarrassing costumes.

Just my conspiratorial take on ice dance 07-10.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    Davis & White making top five. I thought maybe they would drop down with Delobel & Schoenfelder returning.
    After the compulsory dance it became clear that the judges were giving the thumbs down to the French & with the talk over Domnina & Shabalin's original dance that the two North American couples going for the gold.
    Even though they missed huge chunks of the season, had weak programs, were hurt by his injury and lost to F/S in two portions of Euros? Even though D/S hadn't competed in a year, had to deal with injury and her pregnancy? Really?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Even though they missed huge chunks of the season, had weak programs, were hurt by his injury and lost to F/S in two portions of Euros? Even though D/S hadn't competed in a year, had to deal with injury and her pregnancy? Really?
    Yes, really.
    Look, some of us are never going to see eye to eye on this.
    IMO Del/Sch & Dom/Sha got a bum deal at the Olympics.
    Just because you don't see it that way does not mean I don't either.
    I agree that V/M deserved the gold but going down the list I think there were somevery dodgy decisions in Vancouver.
    I do not think Dom/Sha had weak programes & did very well to get past everything, as did Del/Sch.
    If V/M or D/W had gone through any of that we would be praising them.

vCash
    I think Domnina skated beautifully but poor Shabalin was no longer able to skate as well as he used to (so much 2 footed skating.) He was probably in a lot of pain and did well considering!

I know I will be for this but I thought DelSchoes were slightly overmarked considering their form at the time! Again they did well under the circumstances but they were marked on their form on the night and that really wasn't great. I was shocked as I had thought they wouldn't have competed if they weren't at their best and I actually had thought they would win till they started skating! I would have had P/B, K/K and K/N above DelSchoes.

I didn't think D/W deserved the silver. I think Belbin/Agosto were better, and I was never a fan of theirs so no bias. So I would probably have had V/M, B/A, DomShabs.
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

vCash
    I thought Del/Sch OD was below what they were capable of. Their free was well skated but maybe they should have gone back to their 08 free that they had in the Grand Prix Series as they did not go to the Worlds in 09.

vCash
    Yes, really.
    Look, some of us are never going to see eye to eye on this.
    IMO Del/Sch & Dom/Sha got a bum deal at the Olympics.
    Just because you don't see it that way does not mean I don't either.
    I agree that V/M deserved the gold but going down the list I think there were somevery dodgy decisions in Vancouver.
    I do not think Dom/Sha had weak programes & did very well to get past everything, as did Del/Sch.
    If V/M or D/W had gone through any of that we would be praising them.

Fwiw, I would've had F/S in bronze, DelSchoes 4th and B/A fifth at the Olympics.
    Last edited by Proustable; 01-22-2012 at 04:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    Fwiw, I would've had F/S in bronze, DelSchoes 4th and B/A fifth at the Olympics.
    I agree with what your saying about going into the Olympics.
    My main gripe was with the Davis/White silver.
    Yes, they were the best (for me) in the original dance but I would not have had them 3rd in the compulsory & their free dance IMO was just mini pairs skating.
    You have to remember that I live in Europe & in the main get very little figure skating coverage. So going into the Olympics the Europeans was the first look I got at many of the ice dance programes.

vCash
    Fair enough. I think with the system set up as it is and the skating as it was, silver was deserving for D/W.

vCash
    It was a big advantage for the younger couples who have grown up with the new system.
    The likes of Del/Sch, Fae/Sca, Bel/Ago & Dom/Sha had to adapt from the perfect 6 scoring system to the current one.
    Davis/White played the system well.

vCash
    Absolutely agree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    I'm sorry, but by the time of Vancouver, both V/M and D/W were way better than DomShabs and B/A. DomShabs shouldn't even have won the Europeans that year.

I do agree the judges were too harsh on Delobel/Schoenfelder, though.
    V/M and D/W have to thank all the the injuries that plagued all the other competitors and some unexpected falls. With healthy Shabs at worlds in Goteburg in 2008 (which they would have most likely won had they been able to compete), and without B/A's fall in the CD, V/M and D/W would have been nowhere near the podium. With healthy Shabs and D/S, I think V/M and D/W would have not been on the podium in Vancouver either, no matter how good are Marina and Igor in making up points...under normal circumstance that was simply not their moment, yet! I know "ifs" don't count but that's the scenario I would envision with the above "ifs"

BTW, sorry for jumping the wagon so late
    Support Daisuke, join Daisuke Takahshi Road to Sochi

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    But I thought that the Dom/Shabs were a hot mess. Linichuk did B/A no favors with their programs or those embarrassing costumes.
    Regarding Domnina/Shabalin programs, there was a school of thought that Linichuk, being no one's fool, gave them the rather outlandish OD and controversial (in terms of lifting via costume parts, etc.) FD to deflect attention from Shabalin's inability, due to deteriorated knees, to execute certain maneuvers. Domnina/Shabalin were far the best in the Tango but simply could not keep pace with the top two teams' technical elements.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ostile17 View Post
    V/M and D/W have to thank all the the injuries that plagued all the other competitors and some unexpected falls. With healthy Shabs at worlds in Goteburg in 2008 (which they would have most likely won had they been able to compete), and without B/A's fall in the CD, V/M and D/W would have been nowhere near the podium. With healthy Shabs and D/S, I think V/M and D/W would have not been on the podium in Vancouver either, no matter how good are Marina and Igor in making up points...under normal circumstance that was simply not their moment, yet! I know "ifs" don't count but that's the scenario I would envision with the above "ifs"

BTW, sorry for jumping the wagon so late
    .... well, with a healthy DomShabs and DelShoes, there's still one podium spot open.

But then it goes around and around. If DomShabs were healthy, DelSchoes don't become world champions, right? And V/M don't miss half of the 08/09 season and likely remain challengers for the podium. Given DelSchoes fluke mistakes that kept them off the podium in the past, and the fact that V/M were actually coming on quite strongly in the 07/08 season, I think V/M stick around and podium.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    Regarding Domnina/Shabalin programs, there was a school of thought that Linichuk, being no one's fool, gave them the rather outlandish OD and controversial (in terms of lifting via costume parts, etc.) FD to deflect attention from Shabalin's inability, due to deteriorated knees, to execute certain maneuvers. Domnina/Shabalin were far the best in the Tango but simply could not keep pace with the top two teams' technical elements.
    Both the Eurosport & BBC commentators said that (the compulsory dance was going to be the best for D/S then they would find it more difficult).
    But I was hoping they were wrong. I did enjoy their OD & free dance though & watch it reguarly.
    I just can't watch the marks at the end-they look so sad.

vCash
    Domnina & Shabalin would not have won the 2009 Worlds had Delobel & Schoenfelder competed. That is even more obvious than saying vice versa for the 2008 Worlds. Funny how the fans of Domnina & Shabalin like to ignore this in their overall summary of things though.

It is also crazy to say Virtue & Moir would not have been on the podium in Vancouver even had everything gone the best for both those teams. For Davis & White it is quite plausible to suggest, but not for Virtue & Moir. At worst they would still easily beat Davis & White and Belbin & Agosto (who were continually losing support and momentum despite improving) in Vancouver, thus being guaranteed a medal. Personally I think it would have been very hard for anyone to beat them in Vancouver regardless. They were too good there, were on home ice,, and they were better technically there than either of the D&S teams had ever been in their careers, while also being strong artistically.

vCash
    After the Europeans it is comical you believed Domnina & Shabalin were still the gold favorites. Need you be reminded they lost both the OD and FD to Faiella & Scali there, and most considered their victory there a gift by an inflated CD score. Talk of a NA sweep became very prominent after that event. At the Olympics F&S again probably deserved to beat Domnina & Shabalin overall, if they were judged properly Domnina & Shabalin would have finished in 5th place.

Delobel & Schoenfelder had not competed in 14 months and barely trained. They were never going to be ready to be contenders of any kind in Vancouver. 6th or 7th was right for them at the Olympics, they only stayed ahead of Pechalat & Bourzat based on seniority most likely.

Davis & White and Virtue & Moir had been dominating the season and far outscoring anyone else be it Belbin & Agosto all season, or Domnina & Shabalin at Europeans. It was always clear they were the likely gold and silver winners in Vancouver.

vCash
    Many were predicting that Russia equals Gold and no matter domshabs would win at the Olympics because only twice did no Russian/Soviet couple win. They were not thinking of quality of dance but rather precendent. When Tango Romantica was first declared the CD dance that was like "FIX IS IN!!!" Then the Russians on the judging panel "FIX IS IN!!!" cried some press people and others on forums. Hate to post that it was the more figure skating every four years people that really thought Domshabs would stand a chance to win. Can't even post links to people saying Domshabs would do well at the Olympics because they would be trained more and the Russia stumbled and Euro losses in FD and OD wouldn't matter because they would do well because I can't think of any writing like that! It was all about their costumes of OD and FD being controversial and being ice dance Russia equals win.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast