Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    It weirds me out when couples have a joint facebook. I've seen more and more of them pop up lately and I just think it's odd.

vCash
    My husband and I know each other's e-mail passwords, but we never go into each other's computers unless explicitely asked. I do not think we know ( or care to know) our Facebook passwords, but I would provide it with no hesitation if he needed to look something up for me. I think respecting privacy is in a person's code of behavior, not so much in a fact of sharing or not.
    19th century couples often shared diaries- either writing them together, or exchanging personal diaries. Tolstoy and his wife Sofia and Schumann with his wife Clara are two famous examples that immediately come to mind ( and from what I read, they were brutally honest in their writings- they prided themselves on not censoring their diaries knowing that the spouse would read them)
    Considering the passwords can be changed, and as long as bank accounts are not one of the things you share until you really know and trust the person, I'm OK with it.
    Last edited by dinakt; 01-21-2012 at 12:25 AM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    The only time I have given a password is at work so I can get someone to check my work email for something I need or they need to access files that they can't get to with their own login.

I would never give my passwords to anyone, unless I was in a relationship with the person. That is just potentially asking for trouble, even if you think you could trust the person 100%. There is a reason why the banks say never ever give your passwords and security information to anyone else.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    The only time I have given a password is at work so I can get someone to check my work email for something I need or they need to access files that they can't get to with their own login.

I would never give my passwords to anyone, unless I was in a relationship with the person. That is just potentially asking for trouble, even if you think you could trust the person 100%. There is a reason why the banks say never ever give your passwords and security information to anyone else.
    That is the crux of this article. The definition of a relationship and who/what/when that might be acceptable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post

Angelskates - if anything ever happens to me, I imagine Princess Leppard could tell FSU.
    What if I go first? Obviously, you are indestructible, as you have been flattened by the Banana and are still here posting.

vCash
    But I am a ghost - see my username. Ghosts only have so many lives.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Completely disagree. I mean, if we had a joint bank account of course we'd share passwords for that , but I wouldn't let my partner have my email or Facebook password. Because if someone receives an email from that account, they completely expect it to be from me. When someone sends me an email to my account, they expect only me to read it.

My partner and I are not the same person. We're not even a hive mind and we like completely different things, and we don't expect each other to pretend to like the other's hobbies or preferences because that's just silly.

We're different people who choose to have one life together. I thought that was what marriage was about - two people whose lives are intertwined. Not two people literally turning into one. That's just creepy.

And possibly a good basis for a horror movie.
    What's creepy is that in most places in the world, two gay people can't choose to have this kind of relationship. Married people don't have to testify against each other in court, and have the power to make medical decisions for each other. Those are the sorts of things that being "one person" give you - not a creepy hive mind where you only like the same thing.

"I trust you and don't need to know your passwords" is a perfectly wonderful relationship as long as that makes both people happy.

"I don't need to have privacy from you" is a perfectly wonderful relationship as long as it makes both people happy.

It is when person one tries to have a relationship with person two that things are bad.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I know my husband's passwords to everything, but I don;t bother looking for anything.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    ^ Exactly. I don't understand why having passwords automatically equates looking through emails, facebook, whatever. Just because you have someone's password doesn't mean you're going to use it. I knew my parents' pin numbers for bank cards and their computer passwords because I needed them at one point for something, but I never would have dreamt of using them without permission. I knew facebook passwords of friends as well but I never snooped with them. You should be able to respect other people's privacy even if you have the opportunity not to.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    "I don't need to have privacy from you" is a perfectly wonderful relationship as long as it makes both people happy.
    How does that translates to them having other relationships with their family, friends, etc.? Do they tell everyone that from now on they will share everything with each other, so their family and friends are aware of the fact that everything they will say or write to one of them might and will be shared with that person's SO?

I guess most people who share everything don't bother telling other people about it, so unless their email have both of their names which makes it obvious, their friends probably don't even realize that everything they share with their friend is being read by/shared with their SO. I can't imagine they all would be happy about it if they found out. I hope at least most people would give them the courtesy to opt out of the "no privacy" deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Angelskates - if anything ever happens to me, I imagine Princess Leppard could tell FSU.
    And I would volunteer to take on the role of sharing cupcakes with PL. Of course, the distance might be a problem, but I'm sure plenty of other posters would volunteer too. You'd have to be replaced by more than one person. You're special

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I would never give my passwords to anyone, unless I was in a relationship with the person.
    A friendship is a relationship to me. Just because it's not sexual doesn't make it any more or less important or more or less trustworthy. Do you mean you'd only share passwords in a sexual relationship? Or a long-term sexual relationship? Or marriage?

I'm single, and I felt I needed some people to have my information in case it was needed by me and I couldn't access it, or in case something happened to me. Those people agreed to keep that information. Only two gave me the same information in return (which I have used at their requests a couple of times), and one of those is single. It's been more than 10 years since it was given and it's been used, at my request, a few times too - at least once by each person who has access to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    A friendship is a relationship to me. Just because it's not sexual doesn't make it any more or less important or more or less trustworthy. Do you mean you'd only share passwords in a sexual relationship? Or a long-term sexual relationship? Or marriage?
    If you want clarification then it would be a marriage type relationship or a member of my immediate family because I know I could trust them. But I can understand people who have family members they wouldn't trust.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I had an ex boyfriend who gave me his email password once. It wasn't demanded by me it was more him bragging because he said none of his friends had figured it out. I never went into his email though. That would be an invasion of privacy, and I never gave him mine.

And I agree with the point even if you trust your spouse 100%; there is the simple fact that there are people who are emailing you who may not want your spouse/significant other to know everything.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123