Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiley0884 View Post
    Actually, most schools do have mid season tryouts, since cheerleading spans through two seasons, football and basketball (and sometimes three seasons if the cheerleading squad is competitive, so they attend competitions during the spring season).
    What happened in some school districts is that in the "old days", the boys' wrestling team had a group of female supporters called "Mat Maids", and the boys' wrestling team had a group of female supporters called "Dugout Darlings". Eventually these terms became dated, so these groups pretty much serve the functions they did, but they're called cheerleaders now.

Odd that you rarely see organized, sanctioned groups of high school boys supporting girls' sports.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Someone over at dance forums suggested, when we were kicking around who we'd like to see on the next season of DWTS:

"One of the moms from Dance Moms."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO O.

(Besides, you KNOW Cathy would sell her soul to get taping tickets to be there and cause a scene.)

vCash
    Anyone watch last night?

I thought the "Private Eye" group routine was really cute. They looked really together and very strong...the best routine they've had in a while.

I feel very sorry for Kendall; her mother is ruining her chances of staying on the team. Kendall is a pretty little girl and she's a good dancer, but someone needs to stick a sock in her mother's mouth. Kendall's good but she's not as good as Maddie or Chloe and I'm sure she knows that...but her mom can't seem to understand that.

I do think Abby is a bit too hard on the girls at times. On one hand, you need a strict teacher; OTOH, they are pretty young and it's obvious all of them are scared of Abby! What I don't understand is how the moms can complain so much about how badly Abby treats their kids and yet they keep bringing them back. If they hated Abby so much, they'd have left a long time ago.

Next week is going to be interesting. Psycho Cathy is back and also something happens that causes Holly and Nia to leave...I wonder what?

Let's go Anacode!!!
    vCash
    I'm also interested in seeing what causes Holly and Nia to leave. Abby actually didn't seem upset at them leaving either...so it will be interesting to see what it is.
    Don't cry because its over...smile because it happened.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Anyone watch last night?

I thought the "Private Eye" group routine was really cute. They looked really together and very strong...the best routine they've had in a while.

I feel very sorry for Kendall; her mother is ruining her chances of staying on the team. Kendall is a pretty little girl and she's a good dancer, but someone needs to stick a sock in her mother's mouth. Kendall's good but she's not as good as Maddie or Chloe and I'm sure she knows that...but her mom can't seem to understand that.

I do think Abby is a bit too hard on the girls at times. On one hand, you need a strict teacher; OTOH, they are pretty young and it's obvious all of them are scared of Abby! What I don't understand is how the moms can complain so much about how badly Abby treats their kids and yet they keep bringing them back. If they hated Abby so much, they'd have left a long time ago.
    Next week is going to be interesting. Psycho Cathy is back and also something happens that causes Holly and Nia to leave...I wonder what?
    This is what mystifies me. Before there was a hint of a television show there was this teacher and these mothers. Now they have had a bit a fame and most will stay no matter how dysfunctional the relationship becomes but what about the past? How on earth could they stay with Abby if they had that big of a problem with their daughters treatment? I do make an exception for Maddie because I do believe Abby loves her as she would a daughter if she had one. But everyone else---I don't get it.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    This is what mystifies me. Before there was a hint of a television show there was this teacher and these mothers. Now they have had a bit a fame and most will stay no matter how dysfunctional the relationship becomes but what about the past? How on earth could they stay with Abby if they had that big of a problem with their daughters treatment? I do make an exception for Maddie because I do believe Abby loves her as she would a daughter if she had one. But everyone else---I don't get it.
    I really do think that 1. Abby probably yells a little louder for the cameras and 2. 99% of it is escalated unnecessarily by the mothers and their shrill petty whining. I can only assume Jill has been specifically told to ramp it up, because the only other explanation is she's a lunatic. The girls are more mature than their mothers. (WHERE are the fathers? Is every single one of them divorced?) Really, when Maddie can articulate a vastly more sensible response about the toy guns (which worked great and were part of a great routine, and Abby was right to call the moms on it-every week they have a tantrum and every week it turns out fine) than the mothers, Brooke can be more mature about asking to come back than any of the mothers, Kendall has mostly been at the 'bottom' because of her mother's tantrums....The wedding-dress stuff is the preview makes me wonder what person would be insane enough to marry any of them.

vCash
    I think Maddies mother has a boyfriend, she may be getting married. To me she is not as bad as the other mothers. Well, Holly is better.
    Don't these people have any life outside of Dance? They are there every night until late and spend all weekend away at comps. When do the kids do homework? When do they sleep? It's just not healthy.
    And just how rich are they? New costumes and traveling every weekend?
    Plus lesson costs? W
    WOW they spend a lot of money.

vCash
    As a teacher myself (music), I actually agree with most of Abby's teaching method. Okay, I don't scream and curse like she does, but I'm pretty tough on kids. (Probably comes from years of being yelled at by skating coaches lol!) But I have a great bond with all of them.

I believe that most kids are not naturally disciplined or focused (with very rare exceptions). So when there's a young kid with an exceptional talent, the teacher is the one who ends up bringing it out of the kid--or not. Once the talent and discipline merge, it's usually more of a smooth sail.

Many of the FS coaches we most admire are not exactly sweet and gentle with their students.

vCash
    I don't agree with her methods at all. I think those kids are abused.

vCash
    I think Abby's way meaner to the moms. At least that's what I tell myself so I don't feel guilty for watching it.

vCash
    I think the editing is too wonky to see if she is actually saying stuff to the kids or not half the time. While she does say some questionable things to Chloe and Paige, most of the scenes where she is yelling are just showing either her or the girl. We hear an disembodied voice and see a child crying.

Even the fights with the moms appear to be staged or recreated. Watch the background. The people in the background change at various times that are not natural.

Is Abby warm and cuddly? No, she's not. However, I don't think she is a monster either. With the exception of Chloe (who only really seems to turn to her mom), the girls all seem to hug and hang on Abby. Having had my fair share of bad, horrible, and good dance teachers, I know that the girls' reactions to Abby are the one thing that cannot be faked.

Just me
    vCash
    I think Chloe is wound tighter than an eight-day clock and could fly completely apart at any given moment. I don't think it's all her mother's or Abby's doing, either. She reminds me of my youngest daughter. My daughter put a lot pressure on herself to be perfect. I spent a great deal of time with her trying to make her understand that the lack of "perfection" (whatever that is) wasn't going to kill her.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    I thought her obsessing over the costumes last week was completely OTT and unnecessary. It HAD to be a costume that no one's ever seen before?? Good lord... I went to a "competition studio" for 12 years, and costumes got re-used all the time. For recitals, for competition solos ... does Abby really think these judges remember who wears what from year to year? All they care about is that the costume fits the theme of the routine, not that it was, say, worn for a group number 2 years ago.

The other thing that had me was the complaining about the gym floor (yeah, I should have posted this last week!). Every baton competition I've ever been in took place in a gymnasium, because of the space required. The studio I went to holds a Gym Show every March or April - that's the recital for the gymnastics and baton students (only the Acrobatic Team and the most advanced twirlers get to be in the dance recital in June). We never had a problem being on a gym floor, whether we were performing in majorette boots, jazz oxfords, slip-on gym shoes, lyrical shoes or bare feet. The reason Maddy fell wasn't the floor - if you watch the slow-mo, you'll see that her body was behind her feet on that front aerial walkover, and that's why her feet went out from underneath her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    I thought her obsessing over the costumes last week was completely OTT and unnecessary. It HAD to be a costume that no one's ever seen before?? Good lord... I went to a "competition studio" for 12 years, and costumes got re-used all the time. For recitals, for competition solos ... does Abby really think these judges remember who wears what from year to year? All they care about is that the costume fits the theme of the routine, not that it was, say, worn for a group number 2 years ago.

The other thing that had me was the complaining about the gym floor (yeah, I should have posted this last week!). Every baton competition I've ever been in took place in a gymnasium, because of the space required. The studio I went to holds a Gym Show every March or April - that's the recital for the gymnastics and baton students (only the Acrobatic Team and the most advanced twirlers get to be in the dance recital in June). We never had a problem being on a gym floor, whether we were performing in majorette boots, jazz oxfords, slip-on gym shoes, lyrical shoes or bare feet. The reason Maddy fell wasn't the floor - if you watch the slow-mo, you'll see that her body was behind her feet on that front aerial walkover, and that's why her feet went out from underneath her.
    Abby's point about the costumes is - the girls can win in something 'homemade' and not only something you spend hundreds of dollars on. It's the girls talent that gets them titles not sequins.

I do agree about the gym floor, I competed on a gym floor and had my share of falls but I think in Maddy's case she was more shocked and embarrassed more than anything. She didn't hurt anything but her ass and her ego. She should have just continued.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Abby's point about the costumes is - the girls can win in something 'homemade' and not only something you spend hundreds of dollars on. It's the girls talent that gets them titles not sequins.

I do agree about the gym floor, I competed on a gym floor and had my share of falls but I think in Maddy's case she was more shocked and embarrassed more than anything. She didn't hurt anything but her ass and her ego. She should have just continued.
    I believe Maddie did continue. The editing was a mess in that sequence, but before she is carried out, she is standing on the side of the gym. And she still placed (one of only a few of Abby's students to do so) despite the fall. If she had stopped dancing, I don't think she would have scored well enough to place.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    I believe Maddie did continue. The editing was a mess in that sequence, but before she is carried out, she is standing on the side of the gym. And she still placed (one of only a few of Abby's students to do so) despite the fall. If she had stopped dancing, I don't think she would have scored well enough to place.
    Weird

I bet I forwarded through the commercials and missed it. I'll have to go and re-watch it. Thanks for letting me know, I would have liked to have seen the rest.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    As a teacher myself (music), I actually agree with most of Abby's teaching method. Okay, I don't scream and curse like she does, but I'm pretty tough on kids. (Probably comes from years of being yelled at by skating coaches lol!) But I have a great bond with all of them.

I believe that most kids are not naturally disciplined or focused (with very rare exceptions). So when there's a young kid with an exceptional talent, the teacher is the one who ends up bringing it out of the kid--or not. Once the talent and discipline merge, it's usually more of a smooth sail.

Many of the FS coaches we most admire are not exactly sweet and gentle with their students.
    I agree. I don't know about the screaming (and as noted, there is editing involved) but really she doesn't do anything a lot of skating coaches don't do (and unless they're deliberately NOT showing it, at least she's not screaming about their weight and how fat they all are and do they NEED that ice cream like some skating coaches I could name.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I agree. I don't know about the screaming (and as noted, there is editing involved) but really she doesn't do anything a lot of skating coaches don't do (and unless they're deliberately NOT showing it, at least she's not screaming about their weight and how fat they all are and do they NEED that ice cream like some skating coaches I could name.)
    I HATE the fact that she is always undermining and criticizing the moms right in front of their daughters. She seems to have it in for Nia's mother, more so than the others - it's your mother's fault that you don't have a special part in the group number this week. You have a bone to pick with one of the adults, fine, but do it in private.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    I HATE the fact that she is always undermining and criticizing the moms right in front of their daughters. She seems to have it in for Nia's mother, more so than the others - it's your mother's fault that you don't have a special part in the group number this week. You have a bone to pick with one of the adults, fine, but do it in private.
    Holly needs be taken down about ten pegs. She's clearly got an "I'm better than all of you" attitude that I would just be gunning for in real life. And it ABSOLUTELY was her fault in that case. (Degrees are nothing specially, Holly dear, I have three.) She threw a fit that Nia was being made to be the "bully"? Fine, her daughter can go in the back row, and her daughter should know whose fault it was. Though at least she was also the only one with the breeding to admit to Abby straight-up she was wrong about the guns, and the others just fell in with that.

Except Jill, but Jill's wackadoo. That's the only explanation I've got, unless the producers are paying her to be crazywoman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Holly needs be taken down about ten pegs. She's clearly got an "I'm better than all of you" attitude that I would just be gunning for in real life. And it ABSOLUTELY was her fault in that case. (Degrees are nothing specially, Holly dear, I have three.) She threw a fit that Nia was being made to be the "bully"? Fine, her daughter can go in the back row, and her daughter should know whose fault it was. Though at least she was also the only one with the breeding to admit to Abby straight-up she was wrong about the guns, and the others just fell in with that.

Except Jill, but Jill's wackadoo. That's the only explanation I've got, unless the producers are paying her to be crazywoman.
    I don't get that perception of Holly at all. I see her as a working mother who has 2 other children and a husband to tend to, and she's said as much. I don't think that she's really referenced her degrees.....that's Abby who keeps referencing Holly's education, not Holly. She is clear that she is a school principal (which doesn't require having a PhD) and that she has other reponsibilities. What I question is the mothers who have absolutely nothing to do but watch their kids in dance class hours upon hours a day. They have nothing better to do than to watch their kids. All of them live in their heads. That is a bigger concern
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast