Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 116
  1. #21
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,457
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    5546
    Really? Most local studios whose kids I've seen perform...aren't going to put anyone working anywhere near New York. Ever. ' I take the "champions" thing with a grain of salt as their competition circuit seen on the show appears to be slightly on par with Universal Royalty pageants as far as pay to play and having any meaning behind the wins. It's like being a world pro-am ballroom champion--nice in its own area, not really setting most people up for anything more. But Abby does have students in the casts of professional shows, who are not waiting tables and teaching in BFE, North Dakota, or just not dancing, which is where most kids in lessons will end up. Yeah, the majority of her students aren't pros, but I don't know ANY from any dance studio around here who are, or the kids I grew up with on the other side of the state except ONE (and she's teaching, not full-time.)

    I think treating the competitions they do like the Olympics is definitely silly, though. There Abby (and Cathy) are clearly overstating the case.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,517
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Really? Most local studios whose kids I've seen perform...aren't going to put anyone working anywhere near New York. Ever. ' I take the "champions" thing with a grain of salt as their competition circuit seen on the show appears to be slightly on par with Universal Royalty pageants as far as pay to play and having any meaning behind the wins. It's like being a world pro-am ballroom champion--nice in its own area, not really setting most people up for anything more. But Abby does have students in the casts of professional shows, who are not waiting tables and teaching in BFE, North Dakota, or just not dancing, which is where most kids in lessons will end up. Yeah, the majority of her students aren't pros, but I don't know ANY from any dance studio around here who are, or the kids I grew up with on the other side of the state except ONE (and she's teaching, not full-time.)

    I think treating the competitions they do like the Olympics is definitely silly, though. There Abby (and Cathy) are clearly overstating the case.
    Obviously thousands of dancers make a living professionally and Abby didn’t teach all of them, someone else did; so I do think she overstates her credentials. She has had success with some of her students and she needs to really make them shine to get people to pay for her services. But honestly I think more often than not I think more kids will end up like Kelly, and that's ok too.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    493
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I wish for more dance,less moms. It seems to be turning into a housewives of whateva show. I like to see kids dance (except poor viv, who hates it) .

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,226
    vCash
    1799
    Rep Power
    34903
    I loved that Abby's group number was "Bad Apples."

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    at FSU
    Posts
    3,926
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4144
    My dance teacher that I started with at age 3 was like Abby. She would scream, yell, belittle, humiliate... I worked all over the world as a dancer (tap/jazz/ballet/acro, etc) so there is something to be said about that way of teaching. However I remember throwing up from fear before a private lesson once, because I left my music at home. I was 17 at the time... I always swore that when I was teaching I would never raise my voice. I so love the show though.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.


  6. #26

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    trapped in a red state
    Posts
    1,377
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    176
    I actually picture Vivi's rebellion in the future- a tattooed and pierced softball player. Bet her mom's head would explode. Seriously, I am disappointed that this woman passed a home study to adopt. I truly hope for Vivi's sake, it's all in the editing and her mother is truly not this bad.

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Lapsed skating fan
    Posts
    14,713
    vCash
    550
    Rep Power
    0
    No, of course I don't watch this total piece of tripe!


  8. #28
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,457
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    5546
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzisk8tr View Post
    My dance teacher that I started with at age 3 was like Abby. She would scream, yell, belittle, humiliate... I worked all over the world as a dancer (tap/jazz/ballet/acro, etc) so there is something to be said about that way of teaching. However I remember throwing up from fear before a private lesson once, because I left my music at home. I was 17 at the time... I always swore that when I was teaching I would never raise my voice. I so love the show though.
    I had a similar experience with a riding instructor (now, I will say that included a legitimate fear for my LIFE, being asked to do things neither I nor the very hot horse she sold us could safely manage.) I find I prefer stern to coddling, but from skating pros I know there's a difference between that and psycho.

    You also have to know which kids can't handle it. Though, really, I'll take Abby's yelling over Cathy's saccharine insanity....

  9. #29
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,457
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    5546
    Someone PLEASE put Vivi-Anne out of her misery.

    And way to go, judges. Because Abby pegged it, Vivi was only in there to bring the age category down.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somewhere, beyond the sea...
    Posts
    1,884
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Someone PLEASE put Vivi-Anne out of her misery.

    And way to go, judges. Because Abby pegged it, Vivi was only in there to bring the age category down.
    LMAO! I agree. That kid always looks like she's two seconds from falling asleep!

    I thought last night's episode was pretty good. I do think that Brooke should have been given the opportunity to do something else she wanted to pursue, but I agree with Abbey about teaching children to honor their commitments and not bail midway through. Brooke had been talking about cheerleading since last season...she shouldn't have agreed to dance for another year...

    Their group number was lovely. The costumes were beautiful and so was the dancing. Kathy's girls were nice but having Vivi lift her leg and then run off the stage was just a ploy to get the older girls to dance in the younger category. It was unfair and I'm glad the judges placed them 8th.

    Chloe was wonderful! She's improved! Like Maddie, she's now emoting a bit more when she dances and it's helping her scores. What sets Maddie apart is her performance level. She appears to really feel the music and character which makes her more captivating to watch...but Chloe's getting there too. Maddie's solo just wasn't that good. I don't care what her mom said, something about it was just off. Maddie even said so herself...the routine wasn't good and that's why she didn't place higher.

    I'm happy Little Bit (Mckenzie) won her event. It's going to be interesting when the new girl comes in. To me, she doesn't fit in with the group; she's too tall. The good thing about Brooke was even though she was older than the other girls, standing side by side, she doesn't stick out as much as this new girl will. New girl's mom is going to start a lot of drama though...I can't wait!!!

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    the rink of course!
    Posts
    3,214
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    830
    I love this show! My husband thinks I'm nuts. New routines the week before a competition is just SO riduculous (but I can't look away...)
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonita View Post
    I wish for more dance,less moms. It seems to be turning into a housewives of whateva show. I like to see kids dance (except poor viv, who hates it) .
    Me too: I'm not even sure why the Moms are allowed in the studio. Abby seems under control and doesn't yell nearly as much when she is just working with her students. But Abby cannot control her temper with the mothers and vice versa. The children seem more mature than the adults. And ita about Viv---she was not a winner in the mom sweepstakes. Poor kid.

  13. #33
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,457
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    5546
    I thought that one reason they trounced Candy Apples so badly was (besides that the latter were CLEARLY too old for that age division) was that without Brooke and the peanut (that's said with affection; Mckenzie was adorable in her solo and she's so cute on her own) the group number looked really cohesive.

    I have actually liked Chloe better than Maddy as far as expression goes all along--Maddy ALWAYS has the same pouty-lipped smile for every routine and here, it was clearly not her favorite style so it showed more.

    And while I do think it was rather nasty to wait until the last minute (to the point I am tempted to call 'producer interference') for Brooke to say she wasn't going, I think she's probably better off. Yeah, she's a talented dancer, but that doesn't mean she has to stick with it if she's really not into it. And I have to admit if I were a cheer coach I'd be thrilled to get someone who's that flexible and good at tumbling.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Even if Brooke took a few years off to have a teenaged life couldn't she start dancing again?

  15. #35
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,457
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    5546
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    Even if Brooke took a few years off to have a teenaged life couldn't she start dancing again?
    I would think for this kind it wouldn't be too bad, if she wanted to do stuff like audition for shows later, though I would think the expiration date on these sorts of competitions is pretty young. If she wants a serious CAREER, or to audition for college dance programs, wouldn't that be like a thirteen-year-old ladies' single skater taking a few years off to do teen stuff? OTOH, even if she's not on the traveling team, I would think it could only benefit her cheerleading if she kept up with some dance lessons.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Somewhere, beyond the sea...
    Posts
    1,884
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    Me too: I'm not even sure why the Moms are allowed in the studio. Abby seems under control and doesn't yell nearly as much when she is just working with her students. But Abby cannot control her temper with the mothers and vice versa. The children seem more mature than the adults. And ita about Viv---she was not a winner in the mom sweepstakes. Poor kid.
    The moms cause all of the drama. The girls are very sweet and supportive of each other. It's the moms that make it dirty. Chloe's and Maddie's mom arguing, Brooke and Paige's mom complaining, Nia's mom whining...they are the drama. And don't even get me started on Kathy! Like Chloe's mom said, Kathy is the geriatric version of a mean girl.

    But the show is called Dance Moms...it's about them and their drama. But I agree, the girls are much more mature than their mothers.

    I'd love to see a show called Ice Moms. I heard a rumor they were auditioning for that a while back. Is that ever going to happen?

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    404
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    In the US, it would have to be about ISI moms so they could be delusional about the "world championships" and have a competition every week.
    Could be funny though.

  18. #38
    Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,663
    vCash
    565
    Rep Power
    9472
    Lifetime's "Dance Moms" does well and reaches series high in key demo ratings:
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...ytheNumbers%29

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    Lifetime's "Dance Moms" does well and reaches series high in key demo ratings:
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...ytheNumbers%29
    I think it is a train wreck like Toddlers/Tiara's except the girls actually have some talent.

  20. #40
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,457
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    5546
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    I think it is a train wreck like Toddlers/Tiara's except the girls actually have some talent.
    And the moms are moderately to extremely less delusional...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •