Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    vCash
    That was a good mid-season finale:

Maddie: Well her bratty side finally revealed itself! I think she doesn't mind losing to Chloe or coming in second for a normal competition, but not being the top performer at the Joffrey audition really got to her. Those judges criticized her a bit and, seeing as she's Abby's golden child, she usually doesn't get that. Finding out that Chloe got the scholarship really threw her. That was something she really wanted and b/c she didn't get it she flipped out. Kudos to Melissa for not allowing that behavior to fly. This is the second time Chloe has beat Maddie out for the big prize, the first being the starring part in the music video they did last season...

But I agree with what Christi said: Abby and Melissa put too much pressure on Maddie. Always a solo, duet/trio and a group dance, every week. The child is only 9 or 10 years old...she was bound to crack at some point. The stress of that week coupled with not getting that scholarship was too much to handle. That was terrible! She barely froze on stage; she just turned around, started crying and flew off stage. She didn't even give herself a minute to find her place...I felt bad for her just as I do any of the kids who mess up like that.

Chloe: I'm so happy for her! I could tell right off that she was going to be the one to catch the judges' attention. Maddie's a lovely dancer but she's tiny; unless she's dancing she doesn't really stand out. Chloe OTOH looks like a ballerina: long arms, long legs, willowy frame...she looks the part on top of being a beautiful dancer. She definitely deserves that. I loved her Red Queen performance too. She was totally in character and rocked it. Kendall's was cute too but that costume was too freakin' distracting! There was too much of it.

Congrats to Chloe! She never seems to get her due from Abby but it's great to see her get validation from a place as prestigious as the Joffrey school.

Holly: I'm so glad Holly let Abby have it! Holly and Abby don't get into too frequently (not as much as the other moms) but she told her about herself and it's about time. She's top mom from last night! I might go vote on that stupid poll just so she'll win!

Abby: ...that was disgraceful. First off, crying b/c you lost to Cathy by one point is ridiculous. It's not like they were first place...both of you sucked! That routine Abby's girls did was kinda boring and Cathy's team was just as boring. I'd be more upset with the fact that they placed 10th rather than the fact they lost to Cathy by a point. In all honesty, I agree with Christi when she said they should have focused on one thing that week and that was the Joffrey auditions.

Secondly, I can't believe the way she responded to Maddie blanking on stage. Crying. Really? Seriously? Maddie has every reason to cry; she's 9. But for Abby to literally boo hoo is just deplorable. And the way she behaved afterwards: catering to Maddie, not speaking to the girls, not attending the awards, not even congratulating Chloe on coming in first let alone her earning the scholarship...that was just wrong and downright disgraceful. You can bet that if Maddie had won the competition and scholarship she'd have thrown a party right there in the dressing room.

I get that Abby was pretty upset b/c they placed badly and came in behind Cathy; that was a shot to her ego. Then to have her top dancer blank out on stage...it was too much. But still, have some dignity and set an example for the girls. I'm sure she was embarrassed but she should have cried at home...not in front of the girls, and she didn't have to treat everyone the way she did.

Like Holly said, the double standard she sets is really unfair and the other girls know it. All of them have blanked and run off stage before but not once has Abby ever coddled one of them like that...she tells them to suck it up and that's it. Her blatant favoritism was just over the top and I can't believe the way she treated Chloe...I think I was more upset about that than anything. Not one "good job" or "congratulations"...Chloe's her dancer too. Abby should be thrilled that one of her students won the competition and earned that scholarship...it's just so obvious she wanted it to be Maddie. Abby should be ashamed.

I watched Dance Moms: Miami...the dance teachers are nowhere near as bad as Abby but the moms are actually ten times worse! The dancers on that show are all very technical and good, but the parents are insane. I'll continue to tune it just b/c I love the dancing and at least it will tide me over until Dance Moms comes back on in June...I can't wait to see what happened after Abby bailed...
    Last edited by kwanatic; 04-04-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I missed it, but I could have called which girl would get a BALLET scholarship--Chloe looks and moves like a ballerina rather than a jazz/acro dancer. Maddie doesn't. Chloe ought to specialize (which would mean leaving Abby for a real ballet program, but oh, well. Though let's see if her mom could walk away from a TV show.) Hopefully she keeps her body type. Brooke looks VERY different from last season already and ballet's a lot more unforgiving about growth spurts.

I'll have to catch the first Miami ep next week when it repeats. Crazier than these moms? Oh dear.

vCash
    Chloe does have fantastic line and extension. I do worry about her height though. Recent pictures of her show her being pretty tall compared to the other girls. With her long limbs, it is pretty likely that she will be a very tall young lady. That isn't a good sign for a ballet dancer. We'll just have to see.

I wasn't impressed with Abby's behavior, but I can understand that once a person succumbs to the frustration or humiliation that is bothering them it is hard to turn it off. While the other mothers had just as much right to be frustrated and annoyed by Abby's behavior, I found their (Holly especially) rubbing her face in it to be a little immature.

It isn't like this is the first time any of them have ever met Abby Lee Miller. Some of them have had their children at that studio for many years. So the shocked outrage on the part of the moms is too funny. Why do they feel like Abby is going to suddenly change? At this point they would complain even if Abby became Mother Theresa. That doesn't excuse Abby.

Maddie is a beautiful little dancer and has wonderful stage presence. Yes, I wish they would stop having her smile all the time for her dances, but otherwise I cannot complain. I blame Melissa and to a lesser extent Abby for that melt down last night. Maddie has learned, as her little sister is learning now, that the only way to get mommy's approval is to be the best. She knows that if she wins the crown/trophy or her face is at the top of the pyramid that she is going to get that approving smile and nod from her mom. It has transformed her into a little girl whose self worth is wrapped up in a weekend activity that takes place in recreation centers and school auditoriums. So the losing out to Chloe for the ballet school and forgetting her dance were big blows to her. It is sad that her first thought after getting off stage was that Abby would be mad at her.

While I hate (with the heat of 1,000 suns) Christi and her mean girl schtick, I do appreciate that she is very loving and soothing to Chloe. She tells her very sweet things about the way she dances. She tells her that she isn't concerned with the placement but wants her to do her best. She is very nurturing in that way. Melissa could take a lesson there. Tell Maddie that she looked beautiful up until she forgot. Tell her that she will do better next time. Tell her that she still the best at x, y, z.

I just wouldn't want to see either mom turning into Kelly and Holly who seem to think that nurturing and consoling their children means placing the blame elsewhere. When Paige forgot her dance last season Kelly was shown telling Paige that they new who was really at fault - meaning Abby. Even if Kelly has all the evidence in the world that Abby was at fault, she shouldn't put that on Paige. Telling her that encourages her to not trust Abby and to blame the world for things. If Kelly really felt that Paige wasn't ready for that solo and that Paige wasn't prepared because of getting the music late or whatever, she should have insisted that the number be pulled.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post

But I agree with what Christi said: Abby and Melissa put too much pressure on Maddie. Always a solo, duet/trio and a group dance, every week. The child is only 9 or 10 years old...she was bound to crack at some point.
    The pressure wouldn't be there anywhere near to that extent if Abby would just train ONE routine for each group and trio per season. Not a different routine every damn week for each competition, and not even a competition every single weekend. The girls I went to dance school with who competed would do a group dance routine for their age group, some of them were on the competitive Acro Team, and then they would do as many solos as they wanted (and their parents could afford the privates for!). Fast-tracking routines to a high level of performance only works for experienced dancers with solid technique and who are mature enough to handle that kind of pressure.

Abby: ...that was disgraceful.
    Yes, quite. My teachers (mother-daughter team run the studio I went to) wouldn't tolerate the snipping outside the audition room between Christi and Cathy. If a parent ever started that with someone from another studio, said parent would be asked (no, ordered) to leave the building and, possibly their child would be thrown out of the school or, at the very least, not be allowed to represent the studio for a LONG time. My former instructors are very well-known in the competitive dance world on the East Coast, and have held positions within the Dance Masters of America organization, and God forbid anyone connected to their studio messes with their studio's 58-year reputation. I'm surprised that Abby didn't haul Christi out of there and give her a good telling off instead of sitting there and letting her run her mouth. She's so worried about her reputation on the stage, and winning or not winning, but what she needs to realize is that this public cat fight with Cathy makes her look unprofessional. You don't ever openly criticise your competitors; you shut up and let your choreography and your dancers' talent speak for you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    I cannot believe that Abby is giving these girls grief about their practice attire NOW, on the eve of the Joffrey audition. It's a bit late for that. She should have had a dress code set up for her classes from day 1 (like the studio *I* went to has) and consistantly enforced it.
    That was totally set up (as I'm sure most of this 'reality' show is). Have we ever seen all the girls dressed in such outrageous outfits before at practice? No way. It struck me right away before Abby even said anything. I was thinking 'What on Earth is Maddie wearing?' It was ugly! It was clear that they all were told to wear weird outfits so that Abby could yell about it and then inspire a NY shopping trip.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtisticFan View Post
    Chloe does have fantastic line and extension. I do worry about her height though. Recent pictures of her show her being pretty tall compared to the other girls. With her long limbs, it is pretty likely that she will be a very tall young lady. That isn't a good sign for a ballet dancer. We'll just have to see.
    Well, there ARE companies that have historically liked tall (in ballet terms) but then Chloe's probably not destined for a prima career at this stage anyway. If she wanted to teach or dance with a smaller company, as long as she doesn't wind up huge she should be okay. And her mother doesn't appear to be hugely tall, always a good sign. As long as she doesn't put on a lot of weight as she grows, at least not where you can see it. (I don't LIKE the body-snarking reality of dance or skating but I don't imagine it'll change, either.) Height is an issue, true, though. My cousin basically had to quit because at 5'7" in stocking feet (forget being en pointe) she was just too tall.

And ITA with Karina--the reality-show dramafest of "a new routine every week!" is why they end up stressed and unprepared. Even if it's more than a week apart (I have my suspicions) that's a lot to ask a bunch of little kids to handle.

vCash
    I thought taking them to a tri out for a dance company when she doesn't even teach them ballet was kind of stupid.
    And that is my point, why doesn't she teach them ballet and tap.
    All they seam to learn is rolling around on the floor and doing acro. Not a well rounded dance training IMO.
    Are all dancing schools like that now? How do they expect to become professionals if they can't actually dance?

Color me confused.

And I just don't have words for Abby's actions. Maybe she needs some professional help?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Latte View Post
    I thought taking them to a tri out for a dance company when she doesn't even teach them ballet was kind of stupid.
    And that is my point, why doesn't she teach them ballet and tap.
    All they seam to learn is rolling around on the floor and doing acro. Not a well rounded dance training IMO.
    Are all dancing schools like that now? How do they expect to become professionals if they can't actually dance?

Color me confused.

And I just don't have words for Abby's actions. Maybe she needs some professional help?
    They have shown the studio having tap and ballet classes. Maddie has competed with a tap routine. Pictures have shown Chloe in ballet shoes. So it is offered but not emphasized on the show or filmed as much.
    Last edited by ArtisticFan; 04-05-2012 at 05:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Well, there ARE companies that have historically liked tall (in ballet terms) but then Chloe's probably not destined for a prima career at this stage anyway. If she wanted to teach or dance with a smaller company, as long as she doesn't wind up huge she should be okay. And her mother doesn't appear to be hugely tall, always a good sign. As long as she doesn't put on a lot of weight as she grows, at least not where you can see it. (I don't LIKE the body-snarking reality of dance or skating but I don't imagine it'll change, either.) Height is an issue, true, though. My cousin basically had to quit because at 5'7" in stocking feet (forget being en pointe) she was just too tall.
    I started out as a dancer but was too short. Injuries and short legs kept me teaching rather than performing. As someone used to tell me. There is a sweet spot for dancers. Not to tall. Not too short.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I just caught most of Dance Moms Miami last night...

O. Emm. Gee. If I were those teachers I'd bring one of those spray cannisters of air you use to scare cats/clean keyboards and blast it at the moms every time they got out of hand. And if that were my child that snatched the trophy away from the other girl and was all snotty about it she wouldn't be able to sit for a week. Say what you will about Maddie, we've never seen her rip an award from someone's hands!

Okay, maybe not the little boy's mom. She doesn't so far seem to be a raging lunatic. ("You do realize you're nine, right?")

vCash
    I was amazed that Cathy was so in your face nasty to the moms. I know I shouldn't be, but

I felt bad for the other girls that Abby was so blatant in her regard for only Maddie. I don't think they've shown her comforting any other student or being as lavish with praise on anyone else. Of course maybe she does this when the cameras are off.

I know that the mothers know how Abby is and have felt that she plays favorites, but to have it in their faces I think was the breaking point.

My question is why would it matter that much if Abby left when she did? Other than being the leader and being a good example, the dances were finished along with the awards. I was a bit puzzled by the over that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post

My question is why would it matter that much if Abby left when she did? Other than being the leader and being a good example, the dances were finished along with the awards. I was a bit puzzled by the over that.
    I have been reading a few reports that Abby left during the middle of the competition due to her mother being hospitalized. The producers have often played with the timeliness before so it is not out of line to think they could have here.

I am not a mom, but I think I would have let abby çalm down before confronting her on anything. I realize the moms are asked to bring the drama. But do they honestly think they are getting anywhere by making the situation worse.

Who knows what abby is most upset about? Losing to Cathy? Maddie losing? Coming in 10th? Her mother? Maybe something else. Maybe it took maddie breaking down and saying she was scared that abby would be mad to reach into her heart. I know she had a somewhat human moment earlier this season when she realized she made Kendall cry. Maybe she was starting to have another one of those moments.

vCash
    I have been reading a few reports that Abby left during the middle of the competition due to her mother being hospitalized. The producers have often played with the timeliness before so it is not out of line to think they could have here.
    That would make sense, she did look like she was in kind of a daze sitting there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    The pressure wouldn't be there anywhere near to that extent if Abby would just train ONE routine for each group and trio per season. Not a different routine every damn week for each competition, and not even a competition every single weekend.
    I'm pretty sure that's for the sake of the show. Viewers would probably stop watching if the girls performed the same routines week after week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's for the sake of the show. Viewers would probably stop watching if the girls performed the same routines week after week.
    But aren't they pretty much the same solo routines week after week?

vCash
    I'm probably going to get shot down in flames for this, but ballet dancers make very little money. Doing full time dance I told them I wanted to be a commercial/broadway dancer (I studied tap/jazz/ballet/acro/singing/acting...) and they told me "That's not even dancing". I made way more money than my peers who stuck with just ballet/modern/contemporary. I know it's not about money, it's about the love, but I love money just that bit more. Chloe should not specialise in just ballet as she is too good at the other styles of dance. This show is so like a train wreck, I hate it but I can't stop watching.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456