Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    I know what you mean about the weather. Most of the heat is in the western hemisphere this year. It seems to trade back and forth. I wish I could send some of the 100+ degrees it is here over their way.
    Let's share the love. Mix your heat with our cool...we should have a pretty nice middle point As for sharing it back and forth...we've had crap summers the last 3 years. Isn't it time for us to have a month with less than average rainfall?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by walei View Post
    I WON THE VISA CONTEST AND THEY ARE SENDING ME TO LONDON2012!!!!!!
    That is so freakin cool, congrats!

vCash
    I WON THE VISA CONTEST AND THEY ARE SENDING ME TO LONDON2012!!!!!!

Granted it's just for five days and since I am flying in from Asia it's really just three days of activities and probably cheap tickets with events that's not too popular, but it will be my first Olympics EVER!!!!!!!

I am still in disbelieve...
    Fabulous!!!! I am so happy to know that people actually Win these things you always hear about them and then nada!! They really do exist!!! Enjoy every second!!!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    Me thinks some records could be set in athletics, because people tend to perform a little better when it's cooler
    Depends on the event. Certainly the distance runners will prefer cooler weather, but sprinters and field eventers prefer it to be warm.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by *Jen* View Post
    It IS going to be chaos in London, there's no way around it since it's chaos every single day. How well they control that chaos is the only question remaining
    Kings Cross Underground Station was shut briefly this mornng because of overcrowding, and ven when I commute in to the city from Clapham I have to wait for 15 minutes occaisionally to even be allowed onto the platform...and all this without all the extra people who will be here for the Games. I guess it will really depend on how many people decide to work from home/take holiday/work flexitime. I know some of my friends who work around London Bridge have been told not to come in to the office for the two weeks of the Games, but many other companies haven't made arrangements; I've been told everyting should carry on as normal, even though we are in between all the events in Hyde Park, the races finishing on The Mall and the Beach Volleyball on Horseguards Parade & the tube station will be a major hub for people getting across London.

Interesting article about the likelyhood of seeing many world records broken this year. I'd agree that the bset chances are in the cycling, it looked to be a very quick track in the test event.

vCash
    I'm going to be in London during the Olympics (August 9-16), but I don't have any ticket. I was told that you can watch the open water competitions for free, is that true?
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

vCash
    Yes you can pingu - http://www.visitlondon.com/events/de...mming-marathon

You'll also be able to see the men's marathon on 12th August - it starts and finishes on Tha Mall where you need tickets, but you can watch anywhere else on the rest of the route - there's a map here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    Yes you can pingu - http://www.visitlondon.com/events/de...mming-marathon

You'll also be able to see the men's marathon on 12th August - it starts and finishes on Tha Mall where you need tickets, but you can watch anywhere else on the rest of the route - there's a map here
    thanks!
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

vCash
    I think if you grab a spot around the lake in Hyde Park you may also be able to see some of the swimming in the men's and women's triathlon as well!

As for the overestimates, oops! I haven't really taken the time to research about any crowd estimates or any people are actually expected to show up. Either way, even though I have absolutely no idea how London is going to handle it all but either way I wish nothing but the most rousing and successful Olympic Games ever!

London is my favorite city in the world outside of Canada. So I hope they have nothing but good things happen to them!
    Kyle

vCash
    I've been told everyting should carry on as normal, even though we are in between all the events in Hyde Park, the races finishing on The Mall and the Beach Volleyball on Horseguards Parade & the tube station will be a major hub for people getting across London.
    While nothing official has been said at my work (between Leicester Sq and Covent Garden), word is that we're going to be told that "it should be alright so hours are staying the same, be in the office at 9"
    we'll see...

vCash
    Kings Cross Underground Station was shut briefly this mornng because of overcrowding, and ven when I commute in to the city from Clapham I have to wait for 15 minutes occaisionally to even be allowed onto the platform...and all this without all the extra people who will be here for the Games.
    Kings Cross was closed for overcrowding, but there was another factor: the northern line was closed for an hour due to a breakdown, so the overcrowding was caused by people trying to get tubes on the Northern line. I guess we'll have to hope nothing breaks down.

There were 'trials' at 5 stations, including London Bridge which I had the pleasure of going through in the evening rush today. The trials involved closing exits, directing people and the result was...missed connections, people being sent the wrong way, and unhappy commuters. BUT - knowing the problems, they can fix them, and the only unhappy people were the locals. Tourists should be fine, they're patient

Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    I'm going to be in London during the Olympics (August 9-16), but I don't have any ticket. I was told that you can watch the open water competitions for free, is that true?
    Yes - and I am going to do that too

Quote Originally Posted by SandraMGfan View Post
    While nothing official has been said at my work (between Leicester Sq and Covent Garden), word is that we're going to be told that "it should be alright so hours are staying the same, be in the office at 9"
    we'll see...
    Eys, similar story at my work near there too, but we absolutely cannot be late because our clients will take their business elsewhere. Luckily we have flexible hours, so we've been told that if we can't make it in for 9, start and finish later, or earlier, or take time off. Hmm. Glad to be able to walk Sad I don't have an excuse to be late
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    There's a newsletter on this Olympic site that indicates it will have info and tips on watching the "ticketless" events such as marathon and cycling. Scroll down to get to the right newsletter.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    So got my flight schedule from VISA and now it's really just two full days in London, and the rest will be mostly transit times. We will be given tickets to three events but won't know what they are until we register at the hotel.

You know how you sometime read on the news that people spent a fortune but still can't get the best seats in the house, and WUZROBBED going on saying how those are probably just given to the sponsors... I will let you know if it's true.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    vBets galore coming your way!
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/vbookie.php?

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    So got my flight schedule from VISA and now it's really just two full days in London, and the rest will be mostly transit times. We will be given tickets to three events but won't know what they are until we register at the hotel.

You know how you sometime read on the news that people spent a fortune but still can't get the best seats in the house, and WUZROBBED going on saying how those are probably just given to the sponsors... I will let you know if it's true.
    looking forward to it.. we will have to live vicariously through your adventures
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash

Visa is A HUGE sponsor!! I am sure you will get VIP treatement!!! Don't forget your visa card

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Got an e-mail about security procedures for Olympic venues:

Be prepared for security checks when you arrive: this will be like taking an international flight at an airport. It will be busy and you will have to queue, so get there early. The gates to the Olympic Park open at 7am – check your venue information for when to arrive.

Bring as little as possible with you: one small soft-sided bag is allowed per person – this must fit under your seat. There are no storage facilities available. You can bring food, provided it fits in your bag, and an empty plastic water bottle to fill up inside the venue. You cannot bring in liquids over 100ml. Read the full list of prohibited and restricted items

Leave plenty of time to travel: London will be extremely busy and very different to what you’re used to. There are lots of ways to reach the Olympic Park and Stratford is not the only station nearby. If you’re coming from central London, there are plenty of Tube and train options – including the District and Hammersmith & City lines to West Ham station, the seven-minute Javelin® from St Pancras International and National Rail trains from Liverpool Street. Use the spectator journey planner to plan your journey and, if necessary, book your travel in advance. Don’t forget your free Games Travelcard for London zones 1–9.

Remember the only way to pay is by Visa (debit, credit or prepaid card) or cash: for details of the services and facilities available in your venue, read the venue information online. ATM cash machines are available inside the Olympic Park, and these only accept Visa. There are no ATM cash machines available inside your venue.

Keep your ticket with you at all times: your ticket will be checked on entry to the Olympic Park and your venue. If you decide to leave either the Olympic Park or your venue, you won’t be allowed back in. Got a ticket for the Orbit? Please be at the Orbit 15 minutes before the time on your ticket and be ready to queue.
    Ticketing Terms and Conditions also apply. Ticket holders aged 16 and under must be accompanied by an adult.

Things change, so check online!

View the latest sports schedule now as there may have been changes since you received your tickets. Just before you set off, check your journey for any delays or disruptions.

You should also check the weather forecast – especially if you’re going to an open-air venue like the BMX Track, Riverbank Arena or Olympic Stadium. If you’re going to the Aquatics Centre, Velodrome or Water Polo Arena, then wear thin layers and drink plenty of water as it can get extremely warm inside. We recommend you wear comfy shoes as the Olympic Park is very big.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriajh View Post
    Visa is A HUGE sponsor!! I am sure you will get VIP treatement!!! Don't forget your visa card
    walei, I'm sure that you will be well-treated; and hopefully, surprised in a good way, by your experience.
    Looking forward to your report!

vCash
    A friend at work today told me she found a package deal for London, during the games, mostly central hotels, 5 or 6 nights, flights included, but no event tickets, for $1,200. to $1900. including taxes. It's tempting.

Prick Admin
    vCash

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast