Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    in a german press release after the first practice steuer declares, the decision will be made a few moments before the short program;
    the problem acoording to the trio is: they would like to start, even with a not highest-level-program, but at the moment savchenko could not spin and is very unsecure.

problem: they want to skate at art on ice after the euros, because they could get a lot of money there. so if they may withdraw from europeans and skate a week later at show the isu might punish them like plushenko and they might be not able to skate competitive for a year.

it´s hard for the three, because they really need money to move on, because they have to pay steuer by themselves.

so we will see, how they handle. i expect them starting with easy jumps and jsut the lifts. maybe that should be enought to medal, let´s see
    That's a real dilemma. If I were them, I'd compete, not worry about placements, do what she can do, and keep them out of hot water with the ISU. They can still do the necessary show for the income and train for Worlds. They can do a show without worry about injury.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    That's a real dilemma. If I were them, I'd compete, not worry about placements, do what she can do, and keep them out of hot water with the ISU. They can still do the necessary show for the income and train for Worlds. They can do a show without worry about injury.
    I agree. They'll still be top 10 with crappy or no spins.

vCash
    But she risks to injure herself even more. And what is the point of competing when they are World/European champions and they are clearly not able to fight for first place? This could hurt them in the judges eyes for worlds. And I don't think they would want to participate under this circumstances. I understand the money issue...which is why I feel so sorry for them. Hope they make the right decision for Aliona's health

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Miruna View Post
    But she risks to injure herself even more. And what is the point of competing when they are World/European champions and they are clearly not able to fight for first place? This could hurt them in the judges eyes for worlds. And I don't think they would want to participate under this circumstances. I understand the money issue...which is why I feel so sorry for them. Hope they make the right decision for Aliona's health
    I don't think it would hurt them in the slightest in regard to Worlds. All the judges would be aware of exactly what what happening and why. They need to compete in order to not be prohibited from skating in the show which they need in order to pay the bills. They don't have to win Europeans. I'd guess this is why Steur is waiting till the last second to make the call.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I completely agree with you. Assuming all parties (S/S/S) are telling the truth as we all now know it, they need to skate in Art on Ice in a couple of weeks for the money and don't want to get into trouble with the ISU. I'm guessing they are afraid is they drop out of Euros they can't perform at AOI.

So, if S/S only do the bare minimum to get through a routine (no 3FTh or spins) they will still be able to perform at AOI as she will likely be better by then. They won't win but I doubt they are only concerned about competing not about the prizes.

I can understand their dilemma and I hope she takes care of herself.

vCash
    It's official, S&S have withdrawn
    http://www.isuresults.com/results/ec2012/SEG008.HTM

I wish her a speedy recovery!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninchen View Post

vCash
    my heart

Wish your speedy recovery Aliona.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I hope they can work something out about the ice show. Adult pairs are not kids whose parents pay for everything. They need income in order to keep skating.

vCash
    Get well soon, Aliona!

vCash
    Statement on the ISU facebook page:
    Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy (GER) have withdrawn from the ISU European Figure Skating Championships 2012. The couple decided to withdraw following the morning practice citing injury.
    “Aliona aggravated her injury when doing a pair spins in training. She is in pain and unable to perform all elements”, said German team doctor Stefan Pfrengle.
    “It was a very difficult decision for us. The risk is too high to aggravate the injury further”, says coach Ingo Steuer.
    We hope you will join us to wish Aliona a speedy recovery.

vCash
    I think they made the right decision, it would have been foolish of them to compete no matter what.

I'll miss them at Europeans.

Wish Aliona speedy recovery.

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    I wish Aliona a speedy recovery as well, so they can have an amazing worlds...

vCash
    Hope she gets better soon. If she's risking injury, tough as it may be, I hope they pull out of AOI. Or do some watered-down programs and make doubly sure it's OK with the ISU.

YEAH!
    vCash
    That's a shame... from the Euros reports it sounded like she was practicing well, with clean 3ts and even some good throw 3a attempts... so strange to think that a spin, which we consider to be "easy" is what re-injured her.

I totally respect them for attempting to compete and understanding the rules and possible consequences for skating in a show a week after withdrawing from a championship. I hope the ISU can work something out for them.

vCash
    Might it be possible for fans to contribute funds so that S/S/S don't have face this difficult decision re skating in the ice show? Can't a fundraiser be set up somehow?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    That's a shame... from the Euros reports it sounded like she was practicing well, with clean 3ts and even some good throw 3a attempts... so strange to think that a spin, which we consider to be "easy" is what re-injured her.

It really depends on where her injury was. Something like a camel spin could be really painful on your upper thigh muscles since you'd have to stretch out a partially torn muscle, but a jump might not require you to use that muscle at all depending on whether or not her landing leg was affected. Either way, I think withdrawing was a good move and I hope they're fully recovered before Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninchen View Post

I hope she is completely recovered for Worlds.

vCash
    I hope she gets well soon!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345