Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 99
  1. #21
    Two Pot Screamer
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Keeper of Prancer's Stupidity
    Age
    50
    Posts
    13,098
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7639
    There are a few other articles that are saying much the same thing, but have used the word "overthrown" (translated), so I bet the accident was on the throw 3 axel.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,906
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2294
    A source close to Savchenko/Szolkowy and Steuer confirmed today that she hurt her knee in a fall on the throw triple Axel but that she plans to resume practice on Monday. So hopefully it is not so serious and only got stirred up because they cancelled the awards show referring to the injury.

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    202
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    A better translation than google can manage is as follows.

    Shock for the European and World champions S&Z. Savchenko injured herself on a fall in training on Saturday and, 2 weeks before the Europeans, is having to take a short break. Trainer Ingo Steuer didn't give any further details of the injury. He hopes his pair will still be at Europeans.

    Hopefully it works out that way.

  4. #24
    Satisfied skating fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Partying with the Skate Gods
    Posts
    39,960
    vCash
    600
    Rep Power
    17004
    It's certainly their decision to make, but I have to wonder if the 3A is worth the risk. She injured herself in a fall during the GP. I hope she's well by Europeans, but if she's not, I'd rather see her at Worlds.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,929
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4720
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    It's certainly their decision to make, but I have to wonder if the 3A is worth the risk. She injured herself in a fall during the GP. I hope she's well by Europeans, but if she's not, I'd rather see her at Worlds.
    Sigh. Its not like that 3 axel throw is even going to give them a huge point advantage. I understand why they are doing it. They want to create some room between themselves and V/T...It can't be easy anticipating the Olympics being in your top competition's home country, with their home country gearing up to regain their Gold Medal... Heck I'm already torn. The idea of Russia with their great tradition regaining that gold with their great pair in Sochi. Or S/S with their amazing career having that Gold medal. I'm going to be heartbroken for whoever doesn't win. They have every other title under the sun, and an Olympic medal, so I see why to them its worth the risk...
    Last edited by bek; 01-15-2012 at 10:43 PM.

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,592
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Sigh. Its not like that 3 axel throw is even going to give them a huge point advantage. I understand why they are doing it. They want to create some room between themselves and V/T...It can't be easy anticipating the Olympics being in your top competition's home country, with their home country gearing up to regain their Gold Medal... Heck I'm already torn. The idea of Russia with their great tradition regaining that gold with their great pair in Sochi. Or S/S with their amazing career having that Gold medal. I'm going to be heartbroken for whoever doesn't win. They have every other title under the sun, and an Olympic medal, so I see why to them its worth the risk...
    That, in a nutshell, sums it up.

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Does it matter?
    Posts
    1,115
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Oh my, I would be extremely sad if S/S had to skip the Europeans. Wishing Aliona speedy recovery.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Jersey, Channel Islands
    Age
    34
    Posts
    9,119
    vCash
    925
    Rep Power
    790
    Ditch the 3x! They don't need it if they skate clean... I still think that at this stage Aliona & Robin are better (and I do like V/T.)
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,929
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4720
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    Ditch the 3x! They don't need it if they skate clean... I still think that at this stage Aliona & Robin are better (and I do like V/T.)
    But they can't assume that they will always be better than V/T. V/T especially are a new team.

    To be quite frank a part of me feels if they are going to insist on working on a risk move they might be better of going for the 4 flip. At least it would give them a bigger point advantage.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,189
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I really hope Aliona is not severely injured and I wish her a fully healed, speedy recovery!

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,466
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1553
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Sigh. Its not like that 3 axel throw is even going to give them a huge point advantage. I understand why they are doing it. They want to create some room between themselves and V/T...It can't be easy anticipating the Olympics being in your top competition's home country, with their home country gearing up to regain their Gold Medal... Heck I'm already torn. The idea of Russia with their great tradition regaining that gold with their great pair in Sochi. Or S/S with their amazing career having that Gold medal. I'm going to be heartbroken for whoever doesn't win. They have every other title under the sun, and an Olympic medal, so I see why to them its worth the risk...
    Actually, it is; a 3ATh is worth 7.50. If the other teams are only doing a 3FTh worth 4.50, S/S will get a great score if they can land it.

    IMHO - I would try the quad flip first.

    With the Olympics being in Russia you know V/T will be gifted big time. The judges already look the other way with some of their mistakes; who knows what it will be like at the Olympics.

    If I were S/S I would take that chance. I just hope she is ok.

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,315
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    781
    Tatjana Flade reported on twitter that A. Savchenko hurt her knee in fall on throw 3A Saturday but hopes to resume practice Monday, source close to them said.
    https://twitter.com/#!/Tatjana21

    no idea how reliable, but I hope it is so

  13. #33

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    South from Siena, La bella Toscana
    Posts
    4,751
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8861
    Quote Originally Posted by npavel View Post
    Tatjana Flade reported on twitter that A. Savchenko hurt her knee in fall on throw 3A Saturday but hopes to resume practice Monday, source close to them said.
    https://twitter.com/#!/Tatjana21

    no idea how reliable, but I hope it is so
    Tatjana Flade is a very very reliable source!
    So it might not be too serious after all!

  14. #34

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,906
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2294
    I understand that Savchenko/Szolkowy and coach Ingo Steuer are looking at the quad throw flip as well, but in the short you cannot do a quad. So the triple throw with the biggest points is the throw triple Axel.

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,526
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    4753
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    With the Olympics being in Russia you know V/T will be gifted big time. The judges already look the other way with some of their mistakes; who knows what it will be like at the Olympics.
    And I doubt they will be gifted big time. Perhaps favoured if it's a close call, but they are quite capable of winning on their own merits. Their timing is perfect in that they are still growing and two more years is a good period in which to reach their peak as a pair.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,425
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    What is the reasoning behind disallowing the quad flip in the short? Seems like that is holding the sport back in a rather arbitrary way.

  17. #37
    YEAH!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Worshipping Grebenkina...
    Posts
    13,673
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5868
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    What is the reasoning behind disallowing the quad flip in the short? Seems like that is holding the sport back in a rather arbitrary way.
    I don't think it was consciously disallowed, but rather not contemplated because no one was doing it, therefore a special rule change would be needed, like when the rule was changed to allow ladies to do a triple axel as their axel-type jump in the SP. The previous rule said the lady must do a double axel (ie, doing a single was a deduction, and they had not contemplated anyone doing a triple). It just seems like poor drafting to me... they should just write that pairs must do at least a double throw, singles must do at least a double axel, the solo jump out of steps must be at least a double, etc. There's no reason the rules should need to be amended every time someone wants to take it to the next level.

  18. #38

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,906
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2294
    Aljona Savchenko told me today that she didn't suffer a serious injury.

  19. #39

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,315
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    781
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    Aljona Savchenko told me today that she didn't suffer a serious injury.
    Thank you, these are really god news
    I hadn't seen you already posted above the injury wasn't serios

  20. #40

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    South from Siena, La bella Toscana
    Posts
    4,751
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    8861
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    Aljona Savchenko told me today that she didn't suffer a serious injury.

    I want to see an epic battle between them and Volosozhar/Trankov in Sheffield.
    And then another, with Kavaguti/Smirnov and the Zhangs in the Worlds.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •