vCash

Canadian Pairs Team: Bobak/Beharry

I enjoyed these two at junior GPF. They look good together, and it's really something to see their progress to this level after being together only since last February.

Does anyone here know more about this team? Their style is still developing, but they are somewhat reminiscent of S/S in some of their movement qualities + their sp is to music from Out of Africa . I like their style much better than most of the other Canadian pairs teams I've seen recently since Sale/Pelletier and the breakup of Dube/Davison.

The U.S. junior pairs team, Simpson/Blackmer, who came in third look good too. I enjoyed their Asian-themed sp -- it was interesting seeing S/B complete their sp, while China's Sui/Han waited at rinkside to go on immediately afterward with their exceptionally well-skated Country & Western-themed sp choreo.

vCash
    I don't know much about them besides that Ian Beharry is dating Kirsten Moore-Towers. lol.

vCash
    ^^ Ha ha, that's interesting. I guess for some pairs it is better to not date each other, but it also must be difficult to be dating a member of a rival team, although Bobak/ Beharry are still juniors.

Will B/B skate for the first time at senior Canadian Nats this month?

vCash
    I believe they're competing juniors nationally. They were new each other this season

vCash
    shutterbug posted this recent Bobak/Beharry article in the 2012 Canadians forum in Kiss and Cry: http://www.guelphmercury.com/sports/...ot-junior-pair

vCash
    Love these two! I saw them compete at Thornhill this August (a local competition for central Onatio in Canada), and you could tell right away that there was something really special about them. I'm assuming that they'll win junior nationals by a mile, and hopefully they can finish on the podium at junior worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    shutterbug posted this recent Bobak/Beharry article in the 2012 Canadians forum in Kiss and Cry: http://www.guelphmercury.com/sports/...ot-junior-pair
    Thanks for the link, Sylvia.

Here's links to their junior GPF performances:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhB1P...223945E1A8D3C7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsKWi...feature=relmfu

vCash
    A new article: Canadian skaters Ian Beharry and Katie Bobak win junior pairs title

Wirtz believes they have the potential to be world champions one day. It’s certainly interesting these days at the Kitchener-Waterloo Skating Club run by the Wirtzes, where reigning Canadian champions Kirsten Moore-Towers and Dylan Moscovitch also train.

“There’s a lot of dynamics to the rink. Some days, it’s different because they could go into senior and do quite well. But it pushes everyone. They see them coming up, so they work harder. Our rink has a great atmosphere. We try to keep it light and happy, but serious at the same time.”
    It’s a bit soon to tell if they’re world champion material yet , but as skatingfan04 said, there is definitely something special about this team. The crowd here in Moncton gasped over the size of their twists. Not sure if I’ve ever heard that for a Canadian team before. A beautiful presence on the ice and big throws too. Lots of work to be done though. My biggest concern with them staying in the Wirtz camp is that their lifts won’t progress. All of their teams are doing virtually the same handful of lifts, and Katie and Ian are definitely capable of greater creativity. I’m glad they had the opportunity to be at the GPF so that they could be exposed to what the top teams in the world are doing.
    images on ice - Figure Skating Photography

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    A new article: Canadian skaters Ian Beharry and Katie Bobak win junior pairs title

It’s a bit soon to tell if they’re world champion material yet , but as skatingfan04 said, there is definitely something special about this team. The crowd here in Moncton gasped over the size of their twists. Not sure if I’ve ever heard that for a Canadian team before. A beautiful presence on the ice and big throws too. Lots of work to be done though. My biggest concern with them staying in the Wirtz camp is that their lifts won’t progress. All of their teams are doing virtually the same handful of lifts, and Katie and Ian are definitely capable of greater creativity. I’m glad they had the opportunity to be at the GPF so that they could be exposed to what the top teams in the world are doing.
    I agree, a bit early for all of that, but they have the "it" factor. I noticed it the second they came onto the ice at Thronhill this summer, and at that point they had only been together a few months. I think they have andless potential, and yes, their twist is one of the best I have seen anywhere. Its so high. My only isuue with them right now is that Ian seems a little stoic and disconnected to the music, as many male junior skaters are at that stage in their careers. Katherine, IMO, is a better performer, but I'm sure that they will improve in that regard once they've had some more time together.

vCash
    Interesting, because I find her a little bit vacant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug View Post
    .....It’s a bit soon to tell if they’re world champion material yet , but as skatingfan04 said, there is definitely something special about this team. The crowd here in Moncton gasped over the size of their twists. Not sure if I’ve ever heard that for a Canadian team before. ....
    How soon they forget - Brasseur and Eisler had a twist that was more than a match for the "Chinese Air Force". Lloyd used to have enough time to bring his arms all the way down to his sides and still catch Izzy above his head. Lots of thrills there.

Definitely this team has a lot going for it and yes they did blow away their competition setting a new Canadian Junior Championship record in the process. The previous record was held by Dube/Davison, so it has been a while.

vCash
    I'm going to reserve judgment to see if they are even a pair in a few years, I've been burned before. But if you do well as seniors please set your sites higher than D/D. And as much as loved B/E I always hated their twist; it was too vertical for my taste and he almost always seem to catch her in his arms more than by the waist.

vCash
    This is a good team. I think they have potential. Time will tell.

I loved B/E's twists... and those of the teams in their era, like G/G. Now everyone likes to throw the girls practically horizontal and they have arms over their heads, and the man is basicallly in a crouch position to catch her... they all look so sloppy, unless your name is volosozhar/trankov.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    This is a good team. I think they have potential. Time will tell.

I loved B/E's twists... and those of the teams in their era, like G/G. Now everyone likes to throw the girls practically horizontal and they have arms over their heads, and the man is basicallly in a crouch position to catch her... they all look so sloppy, unless your name is volosozhar/trankov.
    B/L are far from sloppy, IMO they have the best one.