Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Karen Magnussen suffering from lung complications after experiencing Ammonia leak

Don't know if this might have been discussed earlier...but I just stumbled on it in today's Vancouver Sun.....So sad....praying for a complete recovery for a true Canadian legend!

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Fig...962/story.html

vCash
    This is really sad - a potentially huge effect on her ability to make a living! I hope she is able to recover soon and doesn't have truly long-term health impacts.

vCash
    Wow. I think, but am not sure, that our rink changed over from an ammonia system for safety reasons.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Thanks for letting us know, as it's the first I've heard of this.

Prayers going out to Karen for a complete recovery.

vCash
    Man, what lousy luck! Hope for her a full recovery.

vCash
    May she have a full recovery!

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    The club has now been cited for health & safety violations: http://www.vancouversun.com/business...591/story.html

Too little, too late?

Here's hoping Karen can achieve a full recovery - she stayed behind to help others and certainly is paying for her efforts in a nasty way
    Last edited by victorskid; 01-14-2012 at 04:19 PM.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Get well soon Karen!

vCash
    The club is "lucky" no one died.

vCash
    How awful!
    Wishing Karen a complete recovery.

vCash
    And to think she probably inhaled more ammonia because she helped parents and young skaters who were still in a locker room...Hope she makes a full recovery!

vCash
    The club (and every other ice rink using ammonia) had better install ammonia leak detectors & alarms, as soon as possible.

Vacant
    vCash
    All best wishes to Karen for a full recovery. What a terrible thing to happen!

vCash
    Boy that rink is going to be in deep sh*t for OH&S breaches. And depending how badly she is affected, she is going to be entitled to a lot of compensation.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    ^^^
    This!

vCash
    This is so sad to read... I hope the long term complications aren't bad! I don't know about Canada, but I have been in some rinks in the US where I can easily see this type of accident happening just because they seem so poorly maintained...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Boy that rink is going to be in deep sh*t for OH&S breaches. And depending how badly she is affected, she is going to be entitled to a lot of compensation.
    A lot will depend on her contract. She is probably paid a retainer by the NSWC as the Skating Director ... that would fall under insurable earning for the purposes of Work Safe BC. The money she gets from group lessons should be covered as well, but for many clubs the coaches prefer to be independent contractors for this portion and that can come back to bite the club when there is an accident like this. What it means is that even if she wasn't insured through the club, the group lessons will be considered as employment and the fall out from that as far as EI, CPP etc could be far reaching. For her private lessons, the majority of her income, she is probably a private contractor. Likely she would have her own insurance for this portion. Of course, Work Safe BC could also fine the Winter Club for the infractions - it will depend on how bad they were and how bad the club's record keeping is.

I'm not sure about the distinction between the North Shore Winter Club as a private club, and the NSWC, the Skate Canada figure skating club. Each has their own board of directors and the figure skating club operates out of the the Winter Club facility. Who carries the responsibility for the Work Safe portion and employment portion, I'm not sure.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I'm not sure about the distinction between the North Shore Winter Club as a private club, and the NSWC, the Skate Canada figure skating club. Each has their own board of directors and the figure skating club operates out of the the Winter Club facility. Who carries the responsibility for the Work Safe portion and employment portion, I'm not sure.
    That's what I was wondering. My guess is that she would be considered an employee of the skating club, but it might come down to who had paid for the ice time (the private club or the skating club) and who the skaters on the ice were registered with at the time the leak happened. IOW who she was in effect working for at that particular moment.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I think regardless of her employment status, the rink has a duty of care to anyone who sets foot on their premises to provide a safe environment, whether they are an employee or not or whether they are working at the time or not.

I am not sure what the laws are in Canada, but here if anyone is injured on a property, they are entitled to compensation. Even visitors to our workplace are still protected under OH&S legislation. In this case the investigation will probably find it will come back onto rink management who didn't do proper maintenance on the equipment, that is how it usually pans out in these cases. So anyone who is affected will be entitled to compensation.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Wishing her a full and speedy recovery. What a remarkable lady to take the time to help the kids when I'm sure she was feeling the impact from the ammonia.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast