Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Miss America

vCash
    I thought Wisconsin answered her question pretty well, but I honestly didn't pay much attention to her throughout the night I think CA blew it on the question whereas everyone else did pretty well.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I thought Wisconsin answered her question pretty well, but I honestly didn't pay much attention to her throughout the night I think CA blew it on the question whereas everyone else did pretty well.
    I agree. CA blew the question for sure and so did someone else (I forget who). Wisconsin never really blew me away but she was always really good so I have no problem with her winning. Still laughing that she forgot waterproof mascara and eyeliner though. Isn't that rule #1 of pageants?!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

Banned Member
    vCash
    Wisconsin and Oklahoma were the talk all week. This is probably going to be the first MA in years that will be more universally received. WI is gorgeous, SS was good, talent good, and not politically outspoken. I really liked her answer that she represents everyone as MA.

vCash
    Just finished watching the recording on my DVR. The recording started after the intro of the contestants started, so I missed my home state's representative all together. Oh well.

My two favorites made the top 15, but both got eliminated before the talent comp. South Carolina for her impressive weight loss. But I wonder if she would have stood out to me otherwise, without knowing that bit of her background. And I liked Miss Florida's apparant spunk, and she seemed to really be enjoying herself out there. I've always been partial to competitors in any event who seem to really be enjoying themselves, rather than be caught up in the stress and drama of the competition itself.

The Disney singer was pretty bad. Had to LOL at one of the blurbs they were showing at the bottom of the screen. It said she secretly wanted to swim with dolphins. Well, not much of a secret now, is it. LOL.

vCash
    Just saw who won and my son knows her! He went to school with her and was a year ahead. He used to have a crush on her. They call Kenosha Kenowhere! LOL

vCash
    I can remember being terrified as a young girl by our babysitter who started screaming and crying because our state won. I was fine once I knew why she exploded. I missed tonight's contest. I kinda miss Bert Parks and that cheesy song (maybe they played it tonight??)

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Was I seeing things, or did Irish Step Dancing girl's shoes start to fall apart near the end of her dance?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    Was I seeing things, or did Irish Step Dancing girl's shoes start to fall apart near the end of her dance?!
    It looked like her taps were coming off her shoe. I saw it too and thought that she must have been happy to finish without any major mishap.

vCash
    As often happens, I preferred the 1st runner-up to the winner.

It looked like her taps were coming off her shoe. I saw it too and thought that she must have been happy to finish without any major mishap.
    She coped very well.

vCash
    I didn't really care for any of the top 5. I liked CA the most until her question. I thought SC would have been a really good role model for young girls, but I wonder if I would have rooted for her as much if I hadn't know how much weight she lost.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Miss South Carolina looked as though she had lost too much weight.

vCash
    IMHO Miss Oklahoma wuzrobbed.

She gave a smart answer to her question, she obviously was quite good at stepdancing (*not* something you choose as a talent if you don't really have any performing talent) and looked very nice in "fitness" and in evening gown.

Miss Wisconsin sang a shrieky opera solo very badly, gave a BS answer to the question, and didn't really stand out in everything else.

The only reason why I can think that Miss Oklahoma didn't win was either that she looks quite short, or that she was the "people's choice" semi-finalist and the Miss America brass don't want their pageant to turn into American Idol or DWTS, where the public picks the winner.

BTW the talent was truly dire. It looked to me like some of the contestants actually had some good training and ability, but had been pushed into routines with a lot of flashy highpoints that didn't really highlight what they were good at. E.g. there was no reason for that "Sway" dance number to be done en pointe - it added nothing to the interpretation and the dancer was obviously capable of doing a great routine otherwise. And a lot of them ended up making mistakes because they were nervous and the routine was so flashy, e.g. the piano player was hitting bum notes all over the place.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    The only reason why I can think that Miss Oklahoma didn't win was either that she looks quite short, or that she was the "people's choice" semi-finalist and the Miss America brass don't want their pageant to turn into American Idol or DWTS, where the public picks the winner.
    That seems likely.
    Why institute a "people's choice", if the organization can't accept that possibility?

vCash
    Miss Wisconsin was the most photogenic, a gorgeous girl.

vCash
    Good article, with more details about the new Miss America:
    http://www.wisn.com/r/30215830/detail.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    IMHO Miss Oklahoma wuzrobbed.

I respectfully disagree.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Good article, with more details about the new Miss America:
    http://www.wisn.com/r/30215830/detail.html
    Has a Miss Wisconsin ever won the Miss America pageant before?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    Has a Miss Wisconsin ever won the Miss America pageant before?
    Terry Anne Meeuwsen in 1973. I think she is a Christian singer now (on the 700 Club show?)
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Overedge I don't want to shock you into katatonia but the winner isn't really based on her talents and her answers.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Having known a few dancers who participated in the Miss America pagent system, I can tell you they love love love someone to dance en pointe, but they certainly don't have the surface nor the space to do it properly. My daughter's friend won the Miss Georgia pagent's talent comp having to dance on a slippery and tiny surface. It's ludicrous. No one should ever dance in pointe shoes on anything but Marley and a sprung floor, although they do. No matter how good you might be, dancing without the space and surface can never adequately show anyone's true abilities. Then again, this is the Miss America pagent we're talking about....some of the "talent" I've seen in smaller pagents feeding into the MA system would make hilarious reality show fodder. I don't mean to make fun of these kids, but doesn't anyone have any standards?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast