Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 33 of 33
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    612
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I agree. Even the judge who placed them highest still only had them 4th (a generous 4th, IMO). Their program was flamboyant and showy for the audience, but judges need to look at other things. Still, the Duchesnay's Calgary performances positioned them really well to move up to become contenders in the next quadrennium. The next year, Dean really worked on improving their skills and pushing them to more difficulty.


    IMO the dance crime of 88 was Klimova-Ponomarekeno not winning, made to wait their turn behind the painful to watch Besty-Buk.
    I never understood why the judges wanted to keep Klimova & Ponomarenko behind Bestemianova & Bukin when the formers were so clearly superiour to the latter. I would've had B&B no higher than 3rd at the Calgary Olympics as technically W&M were also so clearly superiour to B&B.

    As for D&D, I couldn't stand their poor skating skills. At the 92 Olympics, they should've been off the podium altogether. My placements would've been Klimova & Ponomarenko in first, Grishuk & Platov in second, and Usova & Zhulin in third.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,243
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10899
    Quote Originally Posted by gk_891 View Post
    I never understood why the judges wanted to keep Klimova & Ponomarenko behind Bestemianova & Bukin when the formers were so clearly superiour to the latter. I would've had B&B no higher than 3rd at the Calgary Olympics as technically W&M were also so clearly superiour to B&B.
    Maybe it was not so clear to the judges that these other teams were superior -- maybe they were prioritizing different technical skills than you are.

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    612
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Maybe it was not so clear to the judges that these other teams were superior -- maybe they were prioritizing different technical skills than you are.
    From what I saw, B&B were relatively weak technically while both K&P and W&M skated with far superiour content in both the steps and handholds and better edge quality. From what I remember of B&B, their garish expression was a very obvious attempt to overcompensate when they lack technically. I thought B&B should've been no higher than 3rd in 1986, 1987, and 1988. But that's just me.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,896
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19112
    Quote Originally Posted by gk_891 View Post
    From what I saw, B&B were relatively weak technically while both K&P and W&M skated with far superiour content in both the steps and handholds and better edge quality. From what I remember of B&B, their garish expression was a very obvious attempt to overcompensate when they lack technically. I thought B&B should've been no higher than 3rd in 1986, 1987, and 1988. But that's just me.
    I tend to agree, but I will say that B&B had some CDs back in the day. Their 1988 kilian CD was to die for, incredibly deep edges and perfect unison.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y3do9T5SoI

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,256
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    I tend to agree, but I will say that B&B had some CDs back in the day. Their 1988 kilian CD was to die for, incredibly deep edges and perfect unison.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y3do9T5SoI
    That's what I was going to post.
    It's not difficult to understand why B&B were first. They were so superior at compulsories. And if you watch the rankings, the places were the same for almost every team from compulsories to fd.
    Anyway, I don't particularly like K&P, and think B&B were superior.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,789
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3065
    K&P also had a dreadful FD in 88 IMO (Beatles muzak) and most years in that quad. The only FD I liked from that era was their Hungarian Rhapsody, which was in either 86 or 87. It was a shame because they had some wonderful exhibition programs from that time, so it wasn't like they weren't capable of good programs. I felt like they started to really hit their stride in 89 with their Mack the Knife program, which was dance-y without being as generic as their 85-88 programs.

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,896
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19112
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    K&P also had a dreadful FD in 88 IMO (Beatles muzak) and most years in that quad. The only FD I liked from that era was their Hungarian Rhapsody, which was in either 86 or 87. It was a shame because they had some wonderful exhibition programs from that time, so it wasn't like they weren't capable of good programs. I felt like they started to really hit their stride in 89 with their Mack the Knife program, which was dance-y without being as generic as their 85-88 programs.
    I blame Dubova.

    (Hungarian Rhapsody was 1987)

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,256
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    K&P 1992 FD was beautiful. One of the best FD ever, IMO.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,896
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19112
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    K&P 1992 FD was beautiful. One of the best FD ever, IMO.
    Totally agree. Thank you Tarasova.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    612
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    That's what I was going to post.
    It's not difficult to understand why B&B were first. They were so superior at compulsories. And if you watch the rankings, the places were the same for almost every team from compulsories to fd.
    Anyway, I don't particularly like K&P, and think B&B were superior.
    I thought Klimova & Ponomarenko's killian was better. They skated closer together, had more fluid handholds, and smoother edges.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    612
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    K&P also had a dreadful FD in 88 IMO (Beatles muzak) and most years in that quad. The only FD I liked from that era was their Hungarian Rhapsody, which was in either 86 or 87. It was a shame because they had some wonderful exhibition programs from that time, so it wasn't like they weren't capable of good programs. I felt like they started to really hit their stride in 89 with their Mack the Knife program, which was dance-y without being as generic as their 85-88 programs.
    A lot of people disliked that FD but technically, it had far superiour content to that of B&B but they performed it to absolute clinical perfection. K&P were masters at making the difficult look easy while B&B tried very hard to make the easy look difficult.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,256
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gk_891 View Post
    I thought Klimova & Ponomarenko's killian was better. They skated closer together, had more fluid handholds, and smoother edges.
    I think it can't be more fluid than B&B.
    IMO, K&P's pattern is not as good (although the pattern of this dance changed a lot, I prefer the perfect outside-inside before the choctaw of B&B). Marina doesn't have her knees perfectly placed for the inside edge, compared to Natalia Bestemianova. And the rhythm is more difficult to count with K&P, IMO.
    Really, B&B are perfect on the killian. Perfect.

  13. #33

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15832
    My favourite K&P FD was their My Fair Lady FD.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •