vCash

Help for a friend's Cat Sanctuary!

Hi everyone,

Here's the story, a few months ago a neighbourhood cat that I feed had kittens and they were ill, eventually they fell from the roof to my neighbour's backyard(literally, but they were okay) and I started feeding them too and it became obvious that one of them needed urgent treatment or it would die since the little fellow couldn't eat due to a stuffed nose and runny eyes. I knew I had to do something, and since I couldn't keep the cats, I started looking for a place to put them and that's when I found out about this friend's shelter/sanctuary, a long story short, she took the kitties with her, treated them and one of them was already adopted! I paid for their expenses, I just couldn't keep the animals with me. Since I've been helping her with food donations and by photographing the animals so that they look prettier on their adoption announcements.

Smokey and Wicca

Wicca before and after treatment

Wicca at her new home

Other cats in the shelter

So why am I telling you this?

My friend has been out of luck lately when it comes to vet expenses. She has 11 cats(some are her own, but most are up for adoption) and a dog and over the past couple of months a cat died with kidney failure, another was shot and needed care, she had to neuter a few animals and now one of her own cats has mammary cysts and she wants her to have surgery (that alone is €150). You can imagine those vet bills!

I know lot's of FSUers are animal lovers so my request is that if you think you can spare a couple of bucks to help my friend with all these bills and upkeep of the sanctuary, let me know and I'll make sure the donations reach her.

Thanks so much for your help! And enjoy the kitty photos

vCash
    Thanks for the photos and I hope your friend gets the help she needs and that the little darlings get adopted soon.

vCash
    JP, is your friend registered as a non-profit & does she have a website?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    I know lot's of FSUers are animal lovers so my request is that if you think you can spare a couple of bucks to help my friend with all these bills and upkeep of the sanctuary, let me know and I'll make sure the donations reach her.
    How does one sends donations?

vCash
    Thanks for the kind words Buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    JP, is your friend registered as a non-profit & does she have a website?
    She is not registered as a non-profit, I'll be with her today and ask her about what she plans for the future. If I'm not mistaken she started the project over the past year or two so there hasn't been enough time to work out the legalities, besides she had a restaurant that went out of business and she is in debt because of it, so she doesn't have a lot of money left for said legalization but I'll ask her about this and let you know better.

There's no page per se but she has the project on facebook here, but it's in portuguese, hence why I didn't post it earlier:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/Solar.dos.Gatos?sk=info

Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    How does one sends donations?
    Usually she receives them by bank transfer, but since we live in Portugal you may prefer another option so Paypal or Moneybookers is fine too. I'll clear this with her today.

Thanks everyone

vCash
    Please let us know how things are going with your friend and the darling kitties.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    one of her cats was shot?
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Smokey and Wicca are gorgeous!
    They remind me of the Siamese cats I raised years ago.

Please let us know how things are going with your friend and the darling kitties.
    Please do!
    She does a wonderful job with them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperryfan View Post
    Usually she receives them by bank transfer, but since we live in Portugal you may prefer another option so Paypal or Moneybookers is fine too. I'll clear this with her today.

Thanks everyone
    To send "where and to whom and to what account"?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    one of her cats was shot?
    Yup, twice! Once around October and again a few weeks ago. This cat only has one good eye and has short legs, but she is a natural hunter, maybe she poked around someone's chicken coop or she was mistaken for a rabitt... who knows, fortunately the injuries weren't very serious.

She's the last cat on this album, named Carlota. The cat before her, Bastet, is the one that is needing surgery.

Kitty album again

Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Smokey and Wicca are gorgeous!
    They remind me of the Siamese cats I raised years ago.
    Yeah, they are really beautiful. I'm really happy Wicca was adopted, she would have died if I hadn't taken care of her and then sent her to Ana for further treatment, the poor little fellow was full of parasites and had the runs for two months, she was always in great disposition though. Smokey was much healthier... I'm so sorry I can't keep her

Please do!
    She does a wonderful job with them.
    Yup, the cats look happy and healthy and it's nice to see them so active and playful.

I visited them last friday and added a few more photos of Smokey to her album:

Smokey

I have a few of the other cats but I'll ask Ana to upload them to her albums tomorrow.

Bastet was sunbathing on the roof of the chicken coop and seemed well. I really hope the surgery doesn't do more harm than good as it's often the case with malignant tumors...

At one point I had four cats playing with me, it was cool It was funny because it was three young cats and an adult, it made him look a little silly

Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post
    To send "where and to whom and to what account"?
    PM sent.

vCash
    An update:

Bastet had surgery today and everything went well!! Ana was going to pick her up now. She had three tits removed and the tumors were beginning to affect muscle tissue, but the vet said it was a clean surgery. She didn't remove all the mammary tissue because it would be even harder on the animal and wasn't necessary. They won't test for malignancy since it's an extra expense and won't make a difference in the treatment.

I really do hope this doesn't recur. I've known more than one cat with tumors that had surgery and kept on having tumors... I really hope it's not the case.

vCash
    That is wonderful news Joe! Here's to hoping Bastet makes a full recovery.

vCash
    Ana posted a few photos of Bastet, she is looking well, eating well, this cat is a real sweetheart.

Post surgery photos

vCash
    What a sweet face. She's a beauty!

vCash
    ^^^
    She's precious.
    Wishing Bastet a speedy and complete recovery.

vCash
    Beautiful little baby and ouch those stitches look scary! Poor thing! Glad she is fine now and doing ok!