Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 760 of 1005
  1. #741
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Does it matter?
    Posts
    1,115
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Chen is one of the most common Chinese last names. No, Nathan and Karen are not related.
    Oh okay, thank you, Sylvia.

  2. #742
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    346
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    If Alissa wants to remain one of the top US ladies, she'll have to train her ass off, which is hard to do when you're 25, 26 and past your peak.
    All of these elite skaters already train their ass off. All of them. I'm 26, and for me -- and many friends in their mid 20s -- we're in the best shape of our lives, regardless of our fitness activity of choice and the level of participation.

    Don't count her out as being past her peak because she's one whopping year old. Kostner and Suzuki seem to be doing just as well physically, as are many other female skaters in their mid 20s.

    In our mid-20s, we may often have the advantage over those 22 and younger. We don't have college or high school in our way (with ever changing schedules each semester). We've moved past the temptations of recently turning 21, and weeded out most destructive distractions. We've settled into the responsibilities of being an adult. We've matured to the point that we know what we want, and how to best try to attain it -- and as a result are much more focused than we were at say, age 22 and before. We often have much more healthy and secure relationships with parents, coaches, training mates, and most importantly ourselves.

    Even if science has pointed to females at hitting a physical peak somewhere around their mid-20s, you still have to consider the "mental" peak of female athletes. Skating is still a very mental sport, and I feel the women still have an agrueable mental advantage that can still create an overall equal, or stronger, athlete when compared to their younger peers.
    Last edited by Rochelle; 02-26-2012 at 06:18 PM.

  3. #743

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,303
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    45242
    IIRC Irina Slutskaya was 28 when she competed in the 2006 Olympics, which would mean she won her second world title in 2005 at age 27, with one of the most technically demanding performances ever. I could be slightly off with her age, but I think I have the correct range. If ladies can avoid injuries, I am sure they can skate singles competitively till they are 30, if they wanted to. I am guessing that they wouldn't want to, due to mental burnout, rather than physical limitations.

  4. #744

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sending positive thoughts to Mirai..
    Posts
    3,684
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7566
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    IIRC Irina Slutskaya was 28 when she competed in the 2006 Olympics, which would mean she won her second world title in 2005 at age 27, with one of the most technically demanding performances ever. I could be slightly off with her age, but I think I have the correct range. If ladies can avoid injuries, I am sure they can skate singles competitively till they are 30, if they wanted to. I am guessing that they wouldn't want to, due to mental burnout, rather than physical limitations.
    Irina was born February 9, 1979 so you're close-she would have been 26/27 in 2006 depending on the dates of the Olympic ladie's figure skating events (don't recall).
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

  5. #745
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,641
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Irina though was a much tougher competitor then Alissa has been. Stronger jumper too. If some of the younger girls stop screwing up so much i don't see Alissa in Sochi.

  6. #746
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    10,234
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Irina though was a much tougher competitor then Alissa has been. Stronger jumper too. If some of the younger girls stop screwing up so much i don't see Alissa in Sochi.
    I think so too. And like I said, it's different in a nation where you don't have a hoard of youngsters breathing down your neck every season capable of kicking you off the podium and potentially down to like 10th place. Alissa doesn't have the luxury skaters like Carolina and Kiira have skating for America, she has to be on her game all the time otherwise the youngsters will pass her.

  7. #747
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,770
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I think so too. And like I said, it's different in a nation where you don't have a hoard of youngsters breathing down your neck every season capable of kicking you off the podium and potentially down to like 10th place. Alissa doesn't have the luxury skaters like Carolina and Kiira have skating for America, she has to be on her game all the time otherwise the youngsters will pass her.
    Youngsters passing by older skaters? You mean like Volchkova and Soldatova in 1999? Yeah, Irina just waltzed into nationals and beat them that year...not!


    Russian nationals was a beastly competition for most of Slutskaya's career with Butyrskaya, Sokolova, Volchkova, Soldatova and others all in the mix to some degree.

  8. #748
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,641
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    Youngsters passing by older skaters? You mean like Volchkova and Soldatova in 1999? Yeah, Irina just waltzed into nationals and beat them that year...not!


    Russian nationals was a beastly competition for most of Slutskaya's career with Butyrskaya, Sokolova, Volchkova, Soldatova and others all in the mix to some degree.
    Yeah but compared to the US or say the Japanese the Russian Nats didn't have the Ladies depth that those 2 countries have had.

  9. #749
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,641
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I

  10. #750
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,770
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Yeah but compared to the US or say the Japanese the Russian Nats didn't have the Ladies depth that those 2 countries have had.
    All of the above except Volchkova are World medalists or World Champs and Volchkova is a two (or three?) time European Bronze medalist.

    ETA: FOUR time bronze medalist lol

  11. #751

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,243
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10899
    I think the point is that when Slutskaya had a bad day at Nationals (or an off year in general) she might end up 4th.

    When Meissner or Czisny had rough time defending their national titles, they ended up 7th and 10th.

    The top 5 Russian ladies in 1999 might have been collectively stronger than the top 5 US ladies in 2008 or 2010. But after the top 5, the level of the skaters Slutskaya faced at Russian Nationals dropped off more sharply than in the US field.

    But the strength of the field can vary greatly from year to year due to injuries, several strong veterans retiring at once, or a strong crop of last year's juniors moves up to seniors.

  12. #752
    Title-less
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    8,691
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm going by memory here. I think there were a couple years when top ten at Russian nationals was an accomplishment. Here's the ladies team that dominated Junior world ladies champ from 1995 to 1999, with the exception of 97 (won by Vogel and even then two Russian ladies were on the podium).

    But then a long drought followed and the Japanese ladies soon ruled. And now the Russian ladies are back again.

    I'm sure every country wishes to have their talent pool more "spreadout" through the years so they're not ending up boom and bust that 1)leaves great talents at home in very competitive years and 2) suffers long drought when the girls are left without a medal.

  13. #753
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,770
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    I think the point is that when Slutskaya had a bad day at Nationals (or an off year in general) she might end up 4th.

    When Meissner or Czisny had rough time defending their national titles, they ended up 7th and 10th.

    The top 5 Russian ladies in 1999 might have been collectively stronger than the top 5 US ladies in 2008 or 2010. But after the top 5, the level of the skaters Slutskaya faced at Russian Nationals dropped off more sharply than in the US field.

    But the strength of the field can vary greatly from year to year due to injuries, several strong veterans retiring at once, or a strong crop of last year's juniors moves up to seniors.
    When Irina was 4th, the US commentators said that she actually skated well at RN.

    Alissa and Kimmie didn't just have "off nights." Kimmie's performances had FOUR falls and Alissa had major problems on the majority of her jumps in both programs. I also think the difference in placements has a lot more to do with CoP vs 6.0 than anything else. In 6.0, a decent short could prevent you from dropping so far in the free skate even with a total disaster.

  14. #754
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Age
    21
    Posts
    14,081
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

  15. #755
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Olympik Voids!
    Age
    30
    Posts
    8,968
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I love that.

  16. #756
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal!
    Posts
    1,784
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    Makes me wish she'd posted a photo of the parking job, too!

  17. #757

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    25
    Posts
    8,995
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    791
    Kiri Baga was in Detroit a few weeks ago for choreography. Wondering if it was with either Shae-Lynn or Pasquale?

  18. #758
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    212
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Does Shae-Lynn coach in Detroit?

  19. #759

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    25
    Posts
    8,995
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    791
    I don't think so, but I know she does choreography for some of the Detroit skaters.

  20. #760
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,317
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16941
    I believe Shae-Lynn Bourne is still based in Toronto but makes visits to Detroit SC from time to time.

    ISU Season Best Total Scores updated after Junior Worlds (USA ladies in top 30 as of March 4, 2012):

    1 192.41 Ashley WAGNER Four Continents Championships 2012 (Worlds to come)
    8 179.15 Alissa CZISNY GP Trophee E. Bompard 2011 (Challenge Cup Senior B next, then Worlds)
    9 176.18 Caroline ZHANG Four Continents Championships 2012
    10 173.22 Mirai NAGASU GP Cup of China 2011
    11 172.69 Gracie GOLD JGP Tallinn Cup 2011 (171.85, 2nd at Jr Worlds)
    25 157.23 Agnes ZAWADZKI Four Continents Championships 2012
    26 156.58 Vanessa LAM JGP Austria 2011 (138.94, 13th at Jr Worlds)
    28 153.84 Samantha CESARIO JGP Baltic Cup 2011
    29 152.48 Christina GAO GP Cup of China 2011 (151.09, 7th at Jr Worlds)
    30 151.91 Courtney HICKS JGP Brisbane 2011

Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •