Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast
    vCash
    Asada was 4th in 2009... she won in 2010.

Ando was 4th in 2010... she won in 2011.

Leonova was 4th in 2011... she won (the silver/SP) in 2012.

Wagner was 4th in 2012...

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Well she was close to getting a medal
    I believe she'll get a small medal for being third in the FS?

I was never much of an Ashley fan before but became a big one this season because of her attitude. She's mature, takes full responsibility for herself and her actions, and isn't afraid to attack. I also like her honesty.

Phillip Mills has quite the job ahead to top or even come close to equalling this year's long program!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Well she was close to getting a medal... But whatever, 4th isn't bad at all at your second Worlds. After all, Sasha was 4th at her second Worlds... I guess that means she'll be 2nd next year!
    MK was 4th at her second worlds too

vCash
    ^ Good point. And she won it the year after.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post

I really like this pattern.

No matter what people think of the US ladies, no one can deny that this was a breakthrough season for Ashley, who won a GP medal, was second alternate to the GPF (IMO, she should have won two GP medals, but whatever), won Nats AND 4CCs and placed 4th at Worlds. We may be in a "slump," but those are pretty nice results.

vCash
    I've noticed Wagner's records are very similar to Meissner in the 2006-2007 season.

Meissner
    GPS - 2nd and 3rd, 2nd alternate for GPF
    US nationals - 1st
    4CC at Colorado - 1st
    Worlds - 4th

Don't be too optimistic. What happened for Meissner in the next season? For American ladies, the 4CC title (at Colorado) could be a jinx. Do you remember Katy Taylor?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    I've noticed Wagner's records are very similar to Meissner in the 2006-2007 season.

Meissner
    US nationals - 1st
    4CC at Colorado - 1st
    Worlds - 4th

Don't be too optimistic. What happened for Meissner in the next season? For American ladies, the 4CC title (at Colorado) could be a jinx. Do you remember Katy Taylor?
    I thought about that, but isn't it also somewhat self-fulfilling if we treat it that way?

vCash

Meissner
    US nationals - 1st
    4CC at Colorado - 1st
    Worlds - 4th

Kimmie was 17 and still growing if im correct, her jumps were leaving her, and had been the World champion the year before, so she was going in a downward spiral if anything.

Ashley on the other hand is already 20, her jumps and artistry has greatly improved, and will surely keep on getting better under John Nicks, and she keeps on delivering solid results, medal or not.

To compare these two is ridiculous, Kimmie and Katy have no effect on what level of success Wagner will achieve, Ashley has the hunger that has been absent from U.S ladies in a while, so i doubt that we've seen the last of her, she means business!!

vCash
    yea both Worlds and 4cc statistics don't predict the future of a skater, unless we believe in the tarots or something. if someone places 4th and then wins the year after, it only means that he/she's improved. luckily, the world is not governed by jinxs and such

vCash
    I just finished watching Ashley's FS performance, and wow! I thought she did wonderfully. I was extremely impressed. Her jumps were high and powerful, and from what I saw the only two foot landing she had was the triple toe at the end of the double axel combo. She said after nationals she wanted to fix the double-footing, and she did. She is gutsy, athletic, and means what she says. I am not sure if she knew of Alissa's poor placement in the FS, but if she knew, good for her for bringing it when it counts. That's a lot of pressure. I have very high hopes for her for these next few years! Congrats Ashley!

vCash
    I'm not directly comparing Wagner to Meissner(Taylor). Just pointing out past patterns. After Meissner, 4CC winners won worlds 4 years in a row, but Wagner coudn't continue the trend. There could be different patters for American ladies.

vCash

Meissner
    US nationals - 1st
    4CC at Colorado - 1st
    Worlds - 4th

Yeah, I think Ashley's probably through puberty, actually.

vCash
    Can't say enough how proud I am of Ashley. She has grown so much this season, both technically and artistically. Can't wait to see what she comes up with next season.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Can't say enough how proud I am of Ashley. She has grown so much this season, both technically and artistically. Can't wait to see what she comes up with next season.
    I bawled after her program was done.
    Last edited by jlai; 04-01-2012 at 10:57 PM. Reason: typo

vCash
    Did anyone notice that Ashley's non-element moves were so refined, crisp and musical ? I'm not used to that from her - the head and hand movements, the expressions on her face, the way she stretched her legs and used her feet.

Also, the only 2-ft. I saw was the 3t on the back end of the 2x-3t, and I initially thought the 2d 3loop was, but she got positive GOE on that jump combo, so I guess on replay it wasn't ... ?

She also did a 3f-2t-2l instead of 3f-2t-2t, so she upped the ante there, too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I brawled after her program was done.
    Sometimes a good brawl is necessary to burn off that stress. I hope the other guy wasn't beat up too badly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Did anyone notice that Ashley's non-element moves were so refined, crisp and musical ? I'm not used to that from her - the head and hand movements, the expressions on her face, the way she stretched her legs and used her feet.

Also, the only 2-ft. I saw was the 3t on the back end of the 2x-3t, and I initially thought the 2d 3loop was, but she got positive GOE on that jump combo, so I guess on replay it wasn't ... ?

She also did a 3f-2t-2l instead of 3f-2t-2t, so she upped the ante there, too.
    Yes, I think that was her only 2ft. Great improvement from her on that part of her skating!

I think if she skated in the last group (even first in the last group), her PCS would have been a good 2-3 points higher. Ahh well. She still did the U.S. proud by fighting back and showing some true competitive spirit!

vCash

Meissner
    US nationals - 1st
    4CC at Colorado - 1st
    Worlds - 4th

Similar results; totally different situations. Meissner was an Olympian and defending World champion that season. The 4th at Worlds was underwhelming, but probably the best she could do considering the entire podium had more talent + the jumps.

For Wagner, she's trying to shake off the stigma of "almost girl". She's suffered for years at the hands of the National short program and finally overcame that this season to break through. The 4th is seen by many to be a triumph for her, but there is definitely room for further improvement. It will depend on whether she can stay healthy. It will also be interesting to see how she handles the pressure of defending National champ next year. Every new US champ since Kwan/Cohen era has suffered from the "next year curse".

vCash
    Besides Meissner, Wagner's progress this season was similar to Czisny's from last season too: changed coaches, greatly improved jumps, wonderful long program, National Champion, one huge international win (GPF for Czisny and 4CC for Wagner) and then just missed the podium at Worlds.

Hope I didn't jinx her further

BTW I have been a Wagner fan since her Spartacus days and am glad for what she has accomplished this season. She looked like a stubborn kid and those problematic jumps were getting her nowhere. Nicks cleaned her up real nice and brought her results. If she had not moved to Nicks she might just have another decent season with top 5 finishes at the GPs and Nationals. Now she is winning 4CCs and contending for world medals. This is the long waited confidence boost and motivation she needs to further progress as a skater. Can't wait for next season.

Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 LastLast