Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Wow, I can't even remember getting into one physical confrontation at school at any age. But perhaps it was because I went to a smaller private school. The ratio of teachers to students was small.
    Me neither. The only fights I have ever had was with my sisters, & that was pretty mild. We knew if my mom caught us she would make us literally kiss & make up....ugh!

I went to public schools; big schools, tiny schools, military base schools. Sometimes boys would fight but the only time in my life where I knew of girls fighting was the one year we lived in Iowa - 3rd grade. And even then it was just the skanky high school girls.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    it almost makes me glad I don't have kids today having to grow up with this crap.
    Why are we freaking our kids out by saying CRAP like this!

You guys are SMART. Look it up.

Today's highschoolers are safer, way less violent, more tolerant, do less drugs and on and on- than they were 20 years ago.

AND- they are also considerably more depressed and suicidal. I think there is some sort of connection to making the world seem like it is a dangerous place, while at the same time reducing their actual risks.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    fights - yes, less violent - I don't know. There was a kid in my high school who was pushed through the glass windows in the student center. Severed his radial artery. Nearly died from blood loss. I imagine today it would have been video recorded and put on You-Tube.
    I think that the advent of 24 hour news channels, trying to get the latest sensational story, you-tube etc. we are more aware of it than before.
    Kids are not bad - it is just those who do bad things that get the press.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    Why are we freaking our kids out by saying CRAP like this!

You guys are SMART. Look it up.

Today's highschoolers are safer, way less violent, more tolerant, do less drugs and on and on- than they were 20 years ago.

AND- they are also considerably more depressed and suicidal. I think there is some sort of connection to making the world seem like it is a dangerous place, while at the same time reducing their actual risks.
    I try to make this argument all the time and it does no good. In spite of all evidence to the contrary, people are convinced that things are worse, WORSE than when they were growing up!

Complaining about the youth of today is a sure sign of middle age (even if you aren't actually middle aged). I've read arguments that this is actually a good thing sociologically speaking, so maybe that's just how it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    As a child, and yes, I am considering high schoolers children,your focus is so narrow and so inward, there's an EXCELLENT chance you missed a lot of what was going on around you.
    I don't understand why people don't get this, either. Your perceptions of what the world was like when you were a child are the perceptions OF a child. Your adult perceptions are, of course, going to be different.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Complaining about the youth of today is a sure sign of middle age (even if you aren't actually middle aged). I've read arguments that this is actually a good thing sociologically speaking, so maybe that's just how it needs to be.
    I hadn't heard that. Could you explain why it's a good thing?

personally i always thought it was an example of being small-minded

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    I hadn't heard that. Could you explain why it's a good thing?

personally i always thought it was an example of being small-minded
    The argument essentially is that the large-scale disapproval serves as a check on youth, helping press them into responsibility and maturity.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    The argument essentially is that the large-scale disapproval serves as a check on youth, helping press them into responsibility and maturity.
    Really? I'd always assumed that bitching about the youth, and bemoaning the "fact" that the world was going down the tubes, was a defense against the anxiety of facing one's own mortality, and (coughs!) general insignificance in the grand scheme.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123