Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luenatic View Post
    When I was a young teenager (before 15), all the beatings were among 'boys'. Even the worse boys would not hit a girl. As we got older, girls would fight among each others if a 'boyfriend' was involved... Beating up strangers on public transit and school bus was really unheard of.
    So is society experiencing moral crumbling because girls did this beating or because they were young?

I guess a lot depends on where you grew up and when, because these stories, while sickening, don't seem at all worse than anything that was going on when I was young. In fact, I rode on buses where fights would break out regularly--city buses, mind you, not school buses. Often the attacks were race-related and rarely did the participants know one another.

And so it goes; there is nothing new under heaven if you ask me, but I had a rather warped childhood.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    And so it goes; there is nothing new under heaven if you ask me, but I had a rather warped childhood.
    And I think that we tend to forget some of those episodes that occurred when we were younger. Or it wasn't reported. As we get older we tend to say "that would have never happened when I was younger" more

I think the thread title is specific enough to let people know that it would be graphic or disturbing to some people. Perhaps it is just me but the words punched/kicked/unconscious indicates that the thread would contain some violent components. Now, if the title was Bus Incident, that would be a bit misleading.

vCash
    I had my first fight in grade 4. I can't even count the number I had (could have potentially had) in middle school. When I was 16 a group of girls would have kicked the **** out of me if my boy friend didn't keep in front of me and told them to back off. (A girl in the group still got a good punch in on me)

Another time another girl waited outside of the local mall and attacked me from behind.

In all those situations though...it would have been just 1 on 1. More and more I am hearing about group beatings which is different from when I was a kid. (except for that averted fight with the group of girls but nothing ever came of it.)
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I think it's more that people weren't videotaping themselves beating up others back in the day. They had to carve the descriptions and pictures into stone.
    This. Similar things happened in the neighboring towns where I grew up, where there were school buses to public schools, and that was in the 60's-70's. Palisades Park was notorious at the time for "popular" girls beating up the smart girls, who learned not to use the school toilets.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    More and more I am hearing about group beatings which is different from when I was a kid. (except for that averted fight with the group of girls but nothing ever came of it.)
    Well, again, that's not different to me. In fact, one of my best friends in eighth grade was beaten up by a gang of girls. I was threatened with that a couple of times myself. I REALLY minded my own business on the bus to and from school, let me tell you; I saw lots of kids get their asses kicked by groups.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Well, again, that's not different to me. In fact, one of my best friends in eighth grade was beaten up by a gang of girls. I was threatened with that a couple of times myself. I REALLY minded my own business on the bus to and from school, let me tell you; I saw lots of kids get their asses kicked by groups.
    That was my experience as well. Although it was more in the school hallways, in the classrooms, at parties...
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    With the cell phones video capabilities, one of the major differences is indeed video taping and posting on you-tube.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    With the cell phones video capabilities, one of the major differences is indeed video taping and posting on you-tube.
    Which makes it easier sometimes for the police to catch and punish the offenders.

vCash
    I don't remember people getting knocked unconscious or left for dead and I was pretty cognitive of news. More so then than now to be frank.

The worst thing that happened in my area was the Paul Bernardo rapes in Scarborough/ murders of Leslie Mahaffy/ Kristen French.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Wow, I can't even remember getting into one physical confrontation at school at any age. But perhaps it was because I went to a smaller private school. The ratio of teachers to students was small.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    My school was/is tiny. Probably 300 kids in grades 7-12. This stuff went on all the time. Still does. But the town I live in now, which is about 20 miles away from where I grew up, this stuff never happens. I guess it depends on the area. And the people.
    Team Peeps!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Wow, I can't even remember getting into one physical confrontation at school at any age. But perhaps it was because I went to a smaller private school. The ratio of teachers to students was small.
    I went to selective, extremely strict public school. If you put one hair out of line, you would get the boot. Sometimes things started at school, but nothing actually happened there. It was when we were getting there or going home that things would happen, and since we all rode city transit to and from instead of school buses--the school was completely out of everything that went down.

There was another high school a few blocks away and those kids also rode city transit to and from. Sometimes things would start on the ride.

Nothing ever happened to me in high school (the same cannot be said for middle school), but I spent an awful lot of my time worrying that something would.

I don't remember people getting knocked unconscious or left for dead and I was pretty cognitive of news. More so then than now to be frank.
    And maybe it didn't happen where you were. But when I was in high school, I lived in city that at the time had the highest murder rate per capita in the US and still has a very high crime rate. It was a violent place to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Badams View Post
    My school was/is tiny. Probably 300 kids in grades 7-12. This stuff went on all the time. Still does. But the town I live in now, which is about 20 miles away from where I grew up, this stuff never happens. I guess it depends on the area. And the people.
    Yup. As I've said before, when you look out your kitchen window, you don't see the whole world, just your little corner of it.

podcast mistress
    vCash
    I went to selective, extremely strict public school. If you put one hair out of line, you would get the boot. Sometimes things started at school, but nothing actually happened there. It was when we were getting there or going home that things would happen, and since we all rode city transit to and from instead of school buses--the school was completely out of everything that went down.
    Interesting. Never had a problem off campus either, and certainly never heard of anyone in my class having a confrontation. And I wasn't wildly popular. Our small corner of the world just didn't get into physical fights.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Interesting. Never had a problem off campus either, and certainly never heard of anyone in my class having a confrontation. And I wasn't wildly popular. Our small corner of the world just didn't get into physical fights.
    I am absolutely certain we lived in very different kinds of neighborhoods and went to very different kinds of schools.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I grew up in a small town, and while there were certainly scuffles and I'm sure there were occasional fights, pretty much everyone's parents knew each other so nothing got too out of control. Also, everyone in town knew your parents so smoking and other bad behavior was done completely on the DL. Then our school merged with a neighboring town's the year I was a freshman - suddenly there was an actual smoking area for students and the big deal was keeping kids from smoking in the bathrooms, and there were packs of girls looking for any reason to give any of the "new" kids a beatdown while waiting for the bus after school. I saw the writing on the wall, so I quickly befriended some girls from the other school who weren't part of the beatdown crew but were friendly enough with them that I wasn't a target.

I didn't like my mom pulling me out of that school after 1 year at the time (not for that reason), but in retrospect I'm kinda glad.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash

The worst thing that happened in my area was the Paul Bernardo rapes in Scarborough/ murders of Leslie Mahaffy/ Kristen French.
    I also think that would not have been reported or considered news, not even ten years. It's not news until we as a society consider fighting to be a problem/aberrant behavior. When it was just "kids being kids", of course it doesn't make the news because it's expected behavior.

After all, the worst school shooting in American history was not Columbine or Virginia Tech was at a small school in Michigan...in 1927.

I'm not necessarily making a value judgement and I don't necessarily want to derail the thread, but I think we've gone from tragedy being different than news to tragedy IS news. There was also an emphasis more on NOT scaring the public, whereas now, we look at it more as being prepared. Both have their good points and bad points.

I guess the roundabout point I'm making is just because you didn't hear about it doesn't mean it didn't happen. I occasionally run into acquaintances from high school and when we reminisce, it's like we're from two different planets, never mind the same school. As a child, and yes, I am considering high schoolers children,your focus is so narrow and so inward, there's an EXCELLENT chance you missed a lot of what was going on around you. I don't care how observant you thought you were, you didn't see everything, especially if it was in your best interest not to.

That combined with the tendency to seriously romanticize the past leads to some interesting (and false) notions of differences between kids today and kids of yesteryear.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

podcast mistress
    vCash
    I am absolutely certain we lived in very different kinds of neighborhoods and went to very different kinds of schools.
    Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post

I guess the roundabout point I'm making is just because you didn't hear about it doesn't mean it didn't happen. I occasionally run into acquaintances from high school and when we reminisce, it's like we're from two different planets, never mind the same school. As a child, and yes, I am considering high schoolers children,your focus is so narrow and so inward, there's an EXCELLENT chance you missed a lot of what was going on around you. I don't care how observant you thought you were, you didn't see everything, especially if it was in your best interest not to.

That combined with the tendency to seriously romanticize the past leads to some interesting (and false) notions of differences between kids today and kids of yesteryear.
    Fair enough, though our class size was really small. In our case I'd be surprised if we didn't hear of it. And we had a great class, so much so that many of us are linked on Facebook and talk regularly. The ones who were outcasts for various reasons (some by choice, some not) I never heard of getting in any physical trouble. And some of them even came to our last reunion and we all had a great time catching up.

My sister's class was terrible, so much so that in one year 33% of the kids transferred to another school.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    there were packs of girls looking for any reason to give any of the "new" kids a beatdown while waiting for the bus after school. I saw the writing on the wall, so I quickly befriended some girls from the other school who weren't part of the beatdown crew but were friendly enough with them that I wasn't a target.
    I can relate. There was a boy at my middle school, David, who was basically an albino (although his eyes were blue, not red). He had this incredibly high speaking voice. David was picked on EVERY day. He was called every slur you can imagine, but the worst was when school ended and kids waited for the bus. Every day a group of bullies would make a circle around David, beat him up, spit in his face, steal his books, whatever... to the point where he would be in a fetal position, crying and sobbing, while all the other kids stood around calling him names and laughing. I was always horrified.

I did try to be friendly with David during school hours and he was really nice to me. But I always made sure that I only talked to him when no one else was around--I didn't want to be singled out myself (totally cowardly of me, I know). David went to a different high school from mine, but I often wonder what became of him.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    I was bullied, harrassed, ostrasized, picked on, verbally assulted, through 12 years of school (and 2 years of college .... and 20+ years in the working world! yes, the bullies from high school exist in the corporate world as well!), to the point where it completely and totally affected the outcome of my entire life. But as bad as all that crap was (and continues to be to this day .... hell I just got harrassed by some snotty teenager tonight at the freaking grocery store!), at least no one ever beat me up, stole my books or stuff, or had a gang of kids beat the crap out of me like you hear about so much in the news today like the example in this story. When I look back on all that crap, I guess I should be grateful at least no one ever beat the crap out of me. I do recall kids getting in fights in high school every now and then, but it was mostly the boys doing the fighting. And I went to a pretty big public high school. Every time I hear about stories like this, it almost makes me glad I don't have kids today having to grow up with this crap.

vCash
    I went to an ordinary school in the UK and even though we got public transport to and from school I remember being told that school rules applied to us anytime we were wearing our school uniform. People used to get beaten up on the buses but since every school in the town had a different uniform it was pretty easy to identify which school everyone was from.

I remember once having to go to a meeting after school assembly where everyone on the XXX bus to a particular outlying village had to see the headmaster and we were told of an incident involving violence on the bus the night before. The people involved had to own up or be ratted out or would stay in silence in that room til one of the two things happened. When that didn't happen we each had one to one meetings until the perpetrators were ratted out.

In my heart of hearts I know that things are not likely to be so much worse now, but I seem to recall (maybe more because I was scared and did as I was told) that if an adult ever told a school kid to stop doing something they would. I always thought that everyone did (I accept that they probably didn't), but these days we've had many many examples of young teenage gangs stabbing and killing adults in such senseless acts of violence, it feels as if it is more prevalent.

There have abeen quite a few cases of people going out to confront teenagers who are vandalising their vehicles only to end up stabbed by the teenager. I guess these things have probably always happened, but it feels like kids are being more violent and at an earlier age then they were when i was at school.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast