Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Teens punched and kicked a 13-year-old girl until she was unconscious

Am I totally out of touch with today's teenager behavior? I just cannot imagine who could punch and kick a school girl for riding the school bus. This cannot be normal human behavior, can it? Where is the moral value?

http://news.yahoo.com/teens-charged-...190522274.html

"The youths were charged with battery and disorderly conduct Friday after allegedly forming a circle around another girl on the school bus and hitting and kicking her repeatedly. The victim told deputies it was her first day riding the bus and no one would let her sit down. She suffered a concussion."

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Is it really necessary to have such an awful subject line in an otherwise fun and lighthearted forum? I understand that some people wish to share and discuss such things, but for those of us who find this sort of thing very disturbing, and come to FSU to get away from the negative news headlines that bombard us elsewhere, perhaps some consideration could be made?

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash

I didn't realize that FSU was a safe haven from unpleasantness. We have something of an unwritten rule about not including graphic descriptions of cruelty to animals in thread titles, but we don't police thread titles, and I don't see anything wrong with this title.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Jenny, there are many threads on this board that don't interest/sometimes disturb me.
    I use my discretion and don't open them.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Jenny, there are many threads on this board that don't interest/sometimes disturb me.
    I use my discretion and don't open them.
    I usually don't either - but one can't avoid the subject line.

I'm not asking for censorship, just some consideration for other posters is all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post

I didn't realize that FSU was a safe haven from unpleasantness. We have something of an unwritten rule about not including graphic descriptions of cruelty to animals in thread titles, but we don't police thread titles, and I don't see anything wrong with this title.
    I don't have any problem with this thread title, as I'm not overly sensitive about such things. But reading what you just wrote, I'm now curious. Are you saying that we can't (or prefer not to) have a thread title that reads, "Teens punched and kicked a bunny rabbit until it was unconscious", but we can have one that says the same thing about a girl?
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luenatic View Post
    "The youths were charged with battery and disorderly conduct Friday after allegedly forming a circle around another girl on the school bus and hitting and kicking her repeatedly. The victim told deputies it was her first day riding the bus and no one would let her sit down. She suffered a concussion."
    Poor girl. I hope she's okay, now.

vCash
    What was the bus drive's role in this? Did the attack take place when there was no bus driver on board?

I don't see anything wrong with the thread title. I've seen worse on FSU .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    I don't have any problem with this thread title, as I'm not overly sensitive about such things. But reading what you just wrote, I'm now curious. Are you saying that we can't (or prefer not to) have a thread title that reads, "Teens punched and kicked a bunny rabbit until it was unconscious", but we can have one that says the same thing about a girl?
    Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with either, but there have sometimes been threads that included really awful things done to animals, and requests were made that the titles say something like - warning animal cruelty. I think the issue was more than people were opening threads not expecting to read graphic details about animal cruelty than the thread titles themselves being upsetting. it's largely been a self-moderating thing.
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Is it really necessary to have such an awful subject line in an otherwise fun and lighthearted forum? I understand that some people wish to share and discuss such things, but for those of us who find this sort of thing very disturbing, and come to FSU to get away from the negative news headlines that bombard us elsewhere, perhaps some consideration could be made?
    This forum includes all sorts of non-skating subjects. There is no rule that they need to be fun and lighthearted. Indeed, many threads here are not.

vCash
    It's bullying and at a time when bullying is all over the news. Clearly the ones the message is most aimed at are not listening. Poor girl. Glad she will be ok.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    What was the bus drive's role in this? Did the attack take place when there was no bus driver on board?

I don't see anything wrong with the thread title. I've seen worse on FSU .
    I agree. I think this is a disturbing story, but the thread title was just a brief summary of the topic. It wasn't graphic or anything. Anyway, this is a devastating story and I do think orbitz has a good question about the bus driver. He/she is the adult in the situation and should have either stepped in or called for help immediately.

vCash
    Gosh. I'm watching local news right now and they're reporting a 14-years-old girl was beaten up by 3 other teenagers on the light rail. What is wrong with the world these days? I'm starting to think the trashy reality shows (like Real housewives, Jersey Shore,etc) are playing a role in corrupting the society moral values.

http://www.kgw.com/news/Disturbing-v...137057088.html

"PORTLAND – Disturbing video of a girl getting beat up on a MAX train has circulated at a Southeast Portland school as police try to track down the people involved."

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luenatic View Post
    Gosh. I'm watching local news right now and they're reporting a 14-years-old girl was beaten up by 3 other teenagers on the light rail. What is wrong with the world these days? I'm starting to think the trashy reality shows (like Real housewives, Jersey Shore,etc) are playing a role in corrupting the society moral values.
    Did people not beat each other up when you were young?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I think it's more that people weren't videotaping themselves beating up others back in the day. They had to carve the descriptions and pictures into stone.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Years ago I used to bump up lots of threads to get rid of "dead baby" posts on the forum. Now I just make a black humour response in my head and otherwise ignore them.

Re the thread topic- violence among teenagers has declined rather dramatically in the last 20 years. People no longer tolerate that aspect of immature behavior, it seems.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    When I was a young teenager (before 15), all the beatings were among 'boys'. Even the worse boys would not hit a girl. As we got older, girls would fight among each others if a 'boyfriend' was involved... Beating up strangers on public transit and school bus was really unheard of.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jenny12 View Post
    I do think orbitz has a good question about the bus driver. He/she is the adult in the situation and should have either stepped in or called for help immediately.
    I wonder that myself when these stories come up. I picture the bus driver screaming at the girl to sit down, and the other kids scooting over to not let her. We had a similar situation locally a few years ago. Someone taped the incident and it was all over the news. I think the driver should be in just as much trouble for not stepping in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    I wonder that myself when these stories come up. I picture the bus driver screaming at the girl to sit down, and the other kids scooting over to not let her. We had a similar situation locally a few years ago. Someone taped the incident and it was all over the news. I think the driver should be in just as much trouble for not stepping in.
    I think that depends on what the driver actually did. Did the driver call for help? Was the driver scared for his/her own safety in the situation? Did the circle of girls prevent anyone from interfering? I think the girls should be held way more responsible than the driver regardless, they are the ones who committed the act.
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    The story I read said the bus driver pulled over once to break it up, the second time he pulled into a nearby school and called police. Apparently even the participants were willing to finger the perpetrator(s). I believe they were all arrested or whatever they do to juveniles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast