Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: SOI Canada

vCash
    Just got back from the Toronto show as well, and I thought it was incredible from start to finish. Definately the best one in a few years. I'll try to post a deatiled review in the morning.

vCash
    Just got back! Best SOI ever, I think! We've had a blast and I'm completely exhausted. I'll just do part one tonight.

We went to Meet & Greet. Got to watch the practice warm up. Meryl moves her body in the most undulating snakey way! She was in sneaks on the side, almost unrecognizable without makeup. Andrew Poje came out in long baggy shorts, rumpled hair, looking like he just crawled out of bed. Very funny. My, but he is one tasty specimen of manhood! Joannie, Cynthia and Ashley bombed around kibbitzing with Kurt, Jeremy. Jeffrey and Shawn. Very relaxed and fun. Then we went to M & G, about 20 of us. Best part? 2 little girls, about 9, in their club skating jackets and purple skating costumes, black hats with rhinestones, who proudly showed them to Joannie and Cynthia. Very cute! I'd love to show you the pix but I didn't think to get permission so just take my word for it, piles of fun! J & C were so nice, both really gorgeous.

Our seats were great, best ever. Centre, on ice opposite the skater entry. Kurt is an absolutely amazing genius! I'll tell you more tomorrow; I'm just so tired now and have to crash. And I took pani's suggetion to heart. I represented the thread well! I'll tell you what I did tomorrow. But for now, Shawn Sawyer was brilliant! Manana!

vCash
    Wow, I just watched the video of the group finale, and the choreography is so awesome! Really effective to the music. I hate to compare, but I just watched the group numbers for All That Skate, and SOI Canada wins hands down.

vCash
    I was at the Toronto show last night, and it was the best SOI I've seen for quite a while. Kurt did a really good job with the choreo. There were some excellent group numbers - I particularly liked the men's number with Scott, Andrew, Jeff and Jeremy - a modern, abstract piece lit with portable spotlights. Scott and Jeff, in particular, showed great finesse and musicality. Also loved the first act group finale to "Rolling in the Deep" and the women's number.

Cynthia Phaneuf started her program looking straight at Brian Orser in the front row - no pressure! She skated really well; landed a good 3loop as well as 3toes. She has great presence and command of the ice in exhibition settings. Joannie very polished and convincing, nice 3toe and 3sal. Ashley Wagner is developing well with her presentation, the SOI experience will be great for her I bet. Think she did 3flip - sorry, can't remember. Wish I'd taken notes.

Cheezy promos for Lindt chocolate, but hey, you need sponsors. Jennifer Robinson was at the show - she's looking great!

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    My mom and I enjoyed the Hamilton show the other night and thought it was one of the most enjoyable CSOI shows in years. We loved all the group numbers (Kurt's choreography was WONDERFUL), the solo numbers were all fantastic, and we got Meryl & Charlie as special guests which made my day since I love their skating (they did a modified version of their FD which was wonderful ). I thought Ashley and Jeremy blended in beautifully with the Canadian cast members and everyone looked like they were having a blast overall. Loved Weaver/Poje's numbers, Ashley's programs were great, Joannie was wonderful as always, and Jeremy's 1st number to "I Won't Give Up" by Jason Mraz melted me into a puddle (I LOVE that song ). I personally thought the transition number with Barry, Larry, Harry, and Les was HILARIOUS. The guys played it all off SO well and we were all cracking up, LOL

BTW-Sorry I'm just now posting my thoughts about the show....we got home late last night and I'm feeling rather lazy today.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Writing my ridiculously long review now for my website so I won't waste my breath here. I had the opportunity to interview Kurt for an upcoming article on Absolute Skating and asked him all about choreographing Stars on Ice.

And then I got online today and discovered that he basically told us everything in great detail about the choreography and development of the show in his recent blog post on the Stars on Ice site! It's a wonderfully detailed and interesting post (in my opinion) - probably more insight than we've gotten so far into the development of a show like Stars on Ice. Check it out!

http://www.starsonice.com/?content=blog&id=4700

Skating is Language
    vCash

Video Links and program for Stars on Ice Canada 2012

At my blog, "Skating is Language" -- http://spiral9509.tistory.com

I link the videos and photos of "Stars on Ice 2012 Canada" with my brief impression.

http://spiral9509.tistory.com/95

All photos and some videos are shot by me in Hamilton show.

Most of videos I link were shot in Halifax show,
    which I found at youtube.

Thanks so much for the fancams.

Enjoy the show!!!

-------------

Here is my brief impression about the show.

On May 4th, I watched SOI Canada in Hamilton.

Kurt's talent as a choreographer and show director is amazing.
    Especially the bridge programs by so called "the 4 Stops" (Kurt Browning, Jeffrey Buttle, Scott Moir, Jeremy Abbott) were so funny and witty.
    At another men's performance dancing to "Waiting for my Real Life to Begin," Jeremy, Jeffrey, Scott and Andrew used the lighting and it became skaters' choreography itself.

Act 2 opening program inspired by Pixar's animation "Up" was so touching and well-directed short story.
    Also, it was so theatrical, as if separate time and space coexist in the ice.

I enjoyed Rochette's smile and her rhythmical choreography.

Of course, three Ice dancing teams were so precious in this show...
    What a great speed and steps!!!
    Needless to say Virtue/Moir and Davis/White, and especially Weaver/Poje's passionate FS made audiences in Hamilton applause on their feet.

The audiences in Hamilton were impressive and warm-hearted.

They remained, even after the show was done.
    Whenever a few skaters repeated their programs for TV editing, audiences gave applause to encourage skaters to succeed in jumps.

Even though I missed first 15 minutes due to traffic jam at the Canadian/US border and I had heavy rain storm in returning,
    it deserved it.

I have watched competitions in North America such as Skate Canada International, US Regionals and Sectionals (In case of Skate Canada, I watched Gala too),
    but this show was my first experiences of Ice Show in North America.

Totally nice and sophisticated show...
    I can not wait to see SOI Canada (or US) 2013.
    Last edited by spiral9509; 05-07-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    "Skating is Language"

spiral9509.tistory.com

vCash
    I was at the Toronto show Fri night and by far my favourite number was Jeff Buttle's second number to "Both Sides Now" by Joni Mitchell. It was an incredible piece of choreography and brilliantly skated by Buttle. It was such a departure from his first number to Fleetwood Mac and really showed off his versatility.

I also loved the mens number and the 'Rolling in the Deep' group number. The worst number in terms of how it was skated was the girls number. One of the girls (I think it was either Phaneuf or Wagner) always seemed to be off the music and missing steps.

Wagner was on fire, jumps-wise (IIRC she did lots of 3flips) and Abbott was solid though he fell on a 3lutz in his SP. Davis & White were great (really liked her dress) though Charlie almost dropped her in the final lift. His hair is short now and it looks so much better IMO.

I thought Shawn Sawyer had the biggest applause of the night for his Alegria number. The crowd went crazy for him and his backflips.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    I thought Shawn Sawyer had the biggest applause of the night for his Alegria number. The crowd went crazy for him and his backflips.
    And headstands.

vCash
    and eye makeup

vCash
    Thanks everyone for posting the details of SOI. Love that Sawyer is particulary well-recieved this year as is the whole show. Kudos to Mr. Browning for taking on coreography! I am really thankful for the youtube vids of Sawyer's two numbers since I am unable to see the show this year. Alegria is wonderful and I actually thought about that guy skating to it. That headstand is amazing. And according to the recent pictures, looks like he took eye makeup to a whole new level in his second number. Love it! Thanks again and keep the reviews comming!
    Last edited by oakl0008; 05-07-2012 at 04:19 AM.

vCash
    Thank you for the review !!!

vCash
    I was at the London stop yesterday, and LOVED the show. Loved the cast and especially loved the choreography. Kurt is genius. I have been so busy that I hadn't really read too much about what to expect, so it was really cool to be constantly surprised. I thought I had read that Meryl & Charlie were going to be there, but then I didn't see them listed in the program. However, they came out in the second half as guests and I jumped out of my chair I was so excited, LOL. So cool. I was also thrilled to have Jeremy Abbott in the cast this year, and I got to tell him so at the end when he was shaking hands.

Of course, London ate Scott & Tessa up. They were being applauded in the dark before their names were announced. I think they, Kurt and Shawn probably got the best reception from the audience in general. Shawn for his entertainment factor alone! He's just so awesome (and BENDY as my casual buddy seatmate commented). I personally loved seeing Jeff's Both Sides Now and Jeremy's short program the most, I think. And the group numbers were fantastic, especially the guys. I have to say that Cynthia skated very well, and I was happy for her. Really, everyone did quite well. I am looking forward to rewatching it all when they air it on TV eventually.

vCash
    OK, here's my ridiculously long review of the Hamilton and Toronto Stars on Ice shows. Photos to come.

http://www.kurtfiles.com/soi/soirevi...oi12torham.php

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Teenes View Post
    OK, here's my ridiculously long review of the Hamilton and Toronto Stars on Ice shows. Photos to come.

Thank you for such long review!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Teenes View Post

Thank you for your detailed review! As I was reading along I felt as if I was sitting in the audience enjoying the show too.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Dang it! I didn't get tickets this year because I thought I was going to be out of town that day ... but now I'm not. I could still get tickets but they'll be crappy seats.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Dang it! I didn't get tickets this year because I thought I was going to be out of town that day ... but now I'm not. I could still get tickets but they'll be crappy seats.
    i didn't have seats, but i still enjoyed it.

vCash
    Fan video of the finale--thanks to the original poster!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgZW8_D14rg

And the guys' transition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgZW8_D14rg

So looking forward to seeing the show in Vancouver!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Give it a shot Artemis. I've gotten tickets the day of the show in the past and have always gotten great seats. You won't know until you try, but, but, but, but go to the ticket place and speak to a human. That way you've have a better chance than if you go the computer or phone route.

I was at the Toronto show too, but was so tired afterwards, I literally crashed Saturday and Sunday. The stress in our house is pretty high right now w/my Dad's health and I haven't had a fun trip in close to over two years and I think the whirlwind of getting me down here and all of that took it's toll on me over the weekend.

Oh well...At least now w/the laptop I can stay in touch online and there was the Stanley Cup Playoffs and the Kentucky Derby, so it's not like i was bored. I did do something pretty stupid though.

Did I think to charge the battery of the blasted camera? Nope!! What really hurt is I got moved closer to the ice, second row, and could have gotten some insanely awesome pictures, but... I did get a few. A very few at that, but one really good one of Kurt from the look on it. Can't wait to get it off the camera at home to see if my hunch is right or not.

It was an awesome show this year and Kurt did great!! It really did have that old timey CSOI feeling to it.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast