Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: SOI Canada

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Teenes View Post
    That's definitely Joannie, doing "Indestructible". It was her second number in the US show after Lake Placid.
    BTW, Sylvia, the "men's group footwork number" is the intro to the Act I closing number, "Rolling in the Deep", it's not a standalone number.
    Thanks, Teenes! I had already edited the title of video #7 before you posted and have now added Rochette's song title into post #101. Appreciate the 2 SOI photo links as well!

Article by Steve Milton ahead of the Hamilton show: Browning stars on ice — and off
    Excerpt:
    But there are stark realities to mounting any figure skating venture in the 21st century economy. These are not skating’s mid-1990s salad days. It’s now more like consommé, but Browning sees that as a challenge.

And it was certainly a challenge. Whereas the cast once trained for three weeks and had another 10 days or so to work out technical details in Lake Placid, this year the rink wasn’t available for such a long stretch and neither was the financing. In a very rocky American economy, which has been a death sentence for every other skating tour, Stars didn’t have a full title sponsor in the U.S. And there were only 10 shows stateside, two fewer than there are on the Canadian tour.

So, Browning had only three days to work with, and some of his original concepts — including Supertramp and a reprise of his legendary Singin’ in the Rain routine — were put on hold. They’re both on his skating “bucket list” and as his performing career winds down (“I still have no idea how long I’ll do this.”), he’ll make sure that he fulfils both “leftover wishes.”

“I would not allow Stars on Ice to look like anything but Stars on Ice,” Browning vows. “I have a lot personally involved in Stars on Ice. It’s basically been my identity. I pack my lunch box and I go to work for the last 20 years. Where I go is to Stars on Ice.

“We’re all working under a new environment, which is constrictive, yes, but skating is very much alive.”
    Last edited by Sylvia; 04-29-2012 at 07:26 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Oops, didn't notice the edit (or didn't reload), sorry Sylvia =).

More media: Kurt and Jeff audition a potential new cast member for Stars on Ice. I can't do a direct link to the video, but in their video player, it's the "Stars on Ice Cyril auditions for Stars on Ice cast members Kurt Browning and Jeffrey Buttle." video.
    http://ctvatlanticmorning.ca/

Do What You Love
    vCash
    Great pix..thanks

vCash
    Ah the definitive answer to the question of what everyone is skating to, the show program! Thanks so much to our own midori for sending me pictures of the program from Ottawa!

http://www.kurtfiles.com/soi/soiprog...i12program.php

vCash
    I knew Sale and Pelletier weren't doing it this year - but no pairs at all?
    pug lover

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by puglover View Post
    I knew Sale and Pelletier weren't doing it this year - but no pairs at all?
    I just got back from the Ottawa show and there were no pairs at all. With two great dance teams it looked a bit unbalanced.

vCash
    I'm just home from the Ottawa show as well. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
    I'm just home from the Ottawa show as well. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    details, details!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSGP21 View Post
    details, details!
    Everyone did an amazing job notably Sawyer, Abbott, Wagner, Virtue and Moir and Browning.

vCash
    Could someone clue me in why Phaneuf does SOI and not Lacoste who is the Canadian champ?

Phaneuf was doing a lot of falling today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A judge View Post
    Could someone clue me in why Phaneuf does SOI and not Lacoste who is the Canadian champ?

I believe Phaneuf is represented by IMG and Lacoste is not. Most of the SOI cast is with IMG.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    This is not Cynthia's first year with CSOI either - she has toured with them before. Also - this is not a "champions" tour.
    Can't skate but love to watch

Skating supporter
    vCash
    I'm just home from dinner with friends after the Ottawa show. We all thoroughly enjoyed it, one friend said it was the best in 7 or 8 years and was "back to what SOI used to be".

Who skated to what is answered in the program information linked by Teenes above. If I recall correctly, there were 3 falls - 2 by Ashley and 1 by Cynthia, both in their first act numbers. There were some "near misses" along the way but no disasters.

I thoroughly enjoyed having the dancers involved and I think that gave Kurt more to work with in terms of edges, footwork, etc. I believe Scott Moir even managed a double jump in one of the group numbers

The men in the spotlights were, I believe, Jeff, Jeremy, Andrew and Scott as speculated above.

The show began at 4:05 and finished about 6:15. We had no guest skaters. Some of the lighting was a little hit and miss but the show was well conceived and performed. It was amazing to remember that several of those skating were performing in Tokyo just a week ago!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A judge View Post

Phaneuf is probably better for show skating anyway than Lacoste, IMO.

I was at the Ottawa show and while she fell once or twice, I think she skated better in this show than at the WTT. lol.

Shawn Sawyer was the highlight of the show for me, especially when he did the backflip at the end while holding the teddy bear the fan gave to him.

The plugs that the skaters have to do for Lindt are shameless! (Tessa, Scott, Kurt).

I also really enjoyed Weaver and Poje and Jeremy Abbott. Well, I enjoyed everyone, but them (and Sawyer) above all.

Saw Elizabeth Manley in the stands, and outside the building! I didn't ask her for an autograph because I didn't have anything for her to sign, didn't buy the overpriced program, and others were already swamping her with attention anyway.

vCash
    From Mervin Tran's twitter:

Sorry to inform, Narumi and I will not be doing Stars on Ice Regina due to injury though I will still be attending to watch with my family.

Skating supporter
    vCash
    That's too bad - hope it's nothing serious

vCash
    Any other news ?
    I 'm curious about the UP's number .
    Wish there was a complete video

vCash
    A full report of the show would be wonderful for anyone who has seen it!! This thread has been surprisingly quiet on details and thoughts!

vCash
    I'm not good at writing reviews, but I did manage to get some photos at the Hamilton show:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/janetli...7629602932424/

vCash
    Just back from the Toronto show where my single seat turned out to be the extra one in a short row right next to Sonia, her mom, and the two boys... I got lots of waves from Kurt . It was interesting to see which numbers she cheered the loudest for and which got only polite applause (or none at all, though in some cases that was because she had a child on her lap )

Thought the group numbers were all great, and more complex than in past years. The only fall was by Jeremy on his lutz, though Meryl and Charlie almost missed the dismount on their last lift. Tessa and Scott's disco was infinitely better than at Worlds and Team Trophy. I think it was helped the most by them managing to remove the standing around that used to be in the middle. It now flows more naturally between the sections.

I really think this is the best the show has been in years, though it is helped by having such a superb cast overall. Kurt's choreography is fantastic and the skaters did an excellent job making it look like they've been doing it for a while and not just a few shows.

Two thumbs way up!

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast