Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: SOI Canada

vCash
    Great pictures, Teenes! Thanks for sharing.

vCash
    I'm going tomorrow in Calgary, soooooooooo excitedddddd!!!

vCash
    Ashely looks so much better with white boots.

vCash
    thank you !!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriajh View Post
    not one for vancouver? =(
    Unfortunately, they don't have one for Vancouver, and I never did see one. I think they only offered them for the Hamilton, Winnipeg, and Victoria shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Teenes View Post
    My Hamilton Stars on Ice photos:
    http://www.kurtfiles.com/pics/event....on+Ice&search=

The lighting was pretty bad, and there was a TV camera partly blocking me, so I did what I could. I think my Toronto photos are better but it's going to take me a while to get those up. Stay tuned...
    Thank you so much for the lovely pics! and I really enjoyed your review!

vCash
    I went to last night's show in Regina and really enjoyed it. The two full group numbers were very impressive, although I was a little nervous anytime singles skaters were doing lifts. Thought the best solo number was Kurt's Feeling Good - after which I turned to my mom and said "he may be around 20 years older than the rest of the cast, but he's still got it" and my mom had said she was thinking the same thing. Shawn Sawyer's numbers both had huge reactions and really showed his versatility...I'd been a bit hot and cold about him while he was eligible, but I think he's found his niche now. The guys number was better in person than on the youtube video I saw, while I agree with comments upthread that Tessa Virtue was the only one that really "got" the girls number. Buttle's Both Sides Now was also wonderful, made up a bit for being a bit off in the Fleetwood Mac program earlier. And Weaver/Pohe's FD was breathtaking to see up close (and like the arrangement better than what they used in competition), just unfortunate that Andrew hand a random fall (but better here than in competition at least).

vCash
    I just got back from the show in Calgary and loved every minute of it. Pure entertainment and worth every penny - for me on par at least with Cirque de Soleil performances I have seen. I thought the theme "Love'n'Life" was terrific and portrayed so brilliantly throughout the show. Amazing job by Kurt! The skaters voices were very effective and I felt the whole cast was so in to the show - it felt like they loved what they were doing as much as the audience. The lighting seemed fine to me and very effective. I also felt there was a great balance in solos and wonderful transitions between programs from funny ones - like when the men carried Shawn Sawyer out like he was a big lump and then Jeff cleaned the snow off his skate blade - to simple hand off type gestures. I'm not too sure about comparative numbers but the lower half of the Saddledome was full on both sides and some of the top tier seats as well. Anyway, I thought the audience was very supportive and responded well to all the skaters with a big Canadian standing O at the end. We own the dvd of "Up" and I have seen it numerous times so I just wasn't sure what I would think of it on ice but I was moved to tears. Again - Kurt!

Stand outs for me were - Tessa and Scott - I loved both of their programs and thought "Ain't No Mountain High Enough was tremendous. One of my favourite exhibitions from them. Tessa just glowed and I found I could not take my eyes off her in the group numbers she was in. She just has an amazing way of moving.

Shawn was born to be a show skater and "Alegria" was fantastic. He can do the most unbelievable things with his body.

I thought I might miss having a pairs team doing the overhead lifts and throws but I thought the two dance teams were so good they added lots of thrills and excitement. I have loved "Je Suis Malade" from the beginning of the season and Kaitlyn and Andrew did a beautiful job of it. I wish Davis and White had been there - I would have loved to see DF live.

I loved Jeff's "Both Sides Now" - sometimes I find jumps kind of jarring and an interruption of the flow of the program and I have always loved genius artistic programs and for me that is what it was. Just pure skating.

I thought the ladies were all very good this year. Ashley was terrific and was very well received. Cynthia is beautiful to watch and her jumps were lovely. Joannie looks like she is in top shape - she has wonderful flow from her jumps - no snow at all.

A few misses but handled with good humour - and I think falls are an integral part of skating.

A few people were complaining around me about the pimping for sponsors but I'm all for any company that will promote these wonderful young people getting recognition. I also have a daughter who has competed in equestrian and now that is a sport that endlessly plays to the sponsors - putting them in the middle of the field and having each rider salute them as they come in, etc. Anyway, I had a great Mother's Day!
    Last edited by puglover; 05-14-2012 at 03:07 AM.
    pug lover

vCash
    Finally, a great gallery from the Toronto show.

http://photography.ice-dance.com/2011-12/2012CSOI/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan04 View Post
    Finally, a great gallery from the Toronto show.

http://photography.ice-dance.com/2011-12/2012CSOI/
    And here is the accompanying review: http://ice-dance.com/news/general-ar...ve-n-life-tour

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Is anyone going to the Vancouver show?
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I'm going to the Vancouver show!! Really excited, I'll make sure to post a review

vCash
    My photos from the Toronto Stars on Ice show are now up. The lighting was way better (for photography) in Toronto, so I got a lot more good shots.

Toronto Stars on Ice Photos

Also, I don't know if people realize that you can search for skaters on my site and get all the photos they're tagged in - group numbers and all. It's not a super intelligent search, and I only really started tagging group shots in the last year or two, but it's one way to look for your favorite skater. For instance:
    Tessa Virtue: http://www.kurtfiles.com/pics/index....h=Tessa+Virtue

Just FYI.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Teenes View Post
    My photos from the Toronto Stars on Ice show are now up. The lighting was way better (for photography) in Toronto, so I got a lot more good shots.

Toronto Stars on Ice Photos

Also, I don't know if people realize that you can search for skaters on my site and get all the photos they're tagged in - group numbers and all. It's not a super intelligent search, and I only really started tagging group shots in the last year or two, but it's one way to look for your favorite skater. For instance:
    Tessa Virtue: http://www.kurtfiles.com/pics/index....h=Tessa+Virtue

Just FYI.

Thank you!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Weaver/Poje tweeted:

Can't wait to spend this beautiful day in Victoria before the show tomorrow!!! Golf and bike rides await! @starsonice
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Weaver/Poje tweeted:
    and then from Cynthia Phaneuf

Skaters trying to patch a flat.... Took 1/2 hour

vCash
    Jeremy Abbott tweeted this scenic harbor view photo of Victoria yesterday:
    Victoria's far & away one of the most beautiful places I've been! Took an amazing bike ride under a flawless blue sky!
    Happy 21st Birthday today to Ashley Wagner!
    http://twitter.com/#!/jeremyabbottpc...579200/photo/1

By her latest tweets, Ashley seems to be enjoying Victoria, B.C.:
    Vegan dinner with @WeaverPoje and @JoannieRochette..I love Victoria!
    Spent an incredible day biking around Victoria, couldn't get enough of those mountains! So thankful to be given this opportunity @starsonice
    Re-posting this reply from the US Ladies thread in the Trash Can:
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    They couldnF't have picked a better time to be in the southwest! We have had lovely sunny days with highs around 22 degrees.

On a side note, it is too bad Stars on Ice is in Vancouver on Friday night. Victoria Day long weekend (this weekend) is a long standing spring competition for skaters on the BC Coast and Island... and as it turns out, Friday has pre novice and juvenile ladies .... kinda the target market for SOI.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-16-2012 at 11:58 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Looking forward to the Victoria show. Perfect weather for days now. Glad the skaters like it.

vCash
    Just home from the Victoria show. Well worth the $15 I invested in tickets. In fact, I was able to move down 10 rows so I could see the skater's faces during the second half.

A few brief comments, not an in depth review at all....

Kurt is a genius. His choreography is simple yet engaging. Of course he is a funny guy and he can still skate pretty well
    Highlights for me were
    Shawn Sawyer...he has found his niche. Wonderful to see him doing so well in the arena where he had the skate of his life.
    Jeff Buttle. What a choreographer. "Clouds" was breathtaking. I got all misty hearing him talk about winning the world championships, because I was there!
    Joannie Rochette. She is in competitive shape. AFAIK the only skater to do a combo jump. Come back, Joannie. We need you, and you can do it.
    Weaver and Poje.. Je Suis Malade one last time this year. I've seen it 3 times live loved every minute.
    Ashley Wagner. She was really good.
    The men's group with the lights. Brilliant.

OK, gotta get some sleep. It's a big day tomorrow.

vCash
    Thanks for sharing, JasperBoy!

Review of last night's show in the Victoria Times Colonist: http://www.timescolonist.com/sports/...313/story.html

Kurt Browning video interview in The Province: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/St...406/story.html
    Article: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/st...770/story.html
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Oops. I knew I forgot something. The TC review reminded me of V&M's lovely Hallelujah.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast