Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash

Julia Soldatova, what happened? (2004)

Anyone know what happened to Julia? I know she switched to representing Belarus but I didn't know in 2004 she skated at Russian Nationals and actually won the free skate and placed 2nd overall. Why didn't see see her at Worlds that year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    Anyone know what happened to Julia? I know she switched to representing Belarus but I didn't know in 2004 she skated at Russian Nationals and actually won the free skate and placed 2nd overall. Why didn't see see her at Worlds that year?
    Injuries.

After switching to Belarus, Soldatova decided to switch back but had to sit out international competition for two years due to a rule instituted after she switched the first time. (I believe she was also dealing with injuries during that time as well.)

According to this, she's now working as a coach in Moscow.

vCash
    So she was named to the team in 2004 and withdrew?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    So she was named to the team in 2004 and withdrew?
    I don't know if she was ever named to the team, but one thing I noticed in the Wikipedia entry for 2004 Russian Nationals is that she won the free skate but finished sixth in the short. Also, Tatiana Basova (the third-ranked skater at Nationals to be sent to Euros that season) finished in fifth at 2003 Cup of China and within 5.64 points of the podium, so I could imagine Soldatova being passed over altogether.

ETA: I should've read up on this before posting. It was all a bit complicated. A search of the archives says that there was a paperwork issue with Belarusian federation and that she couldn't switch back to competing for Russia in time for the 2004 World Championships. She was named to the team at first, but that was conditional on a green light from the ISU. Sokolova, Slutskaya, and Volchkova went to Worlds.
    Last edited by falling_dance; 01-10-2012 at 08:59 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    I don't know if she was ever named to the team, but one thing I noticed in the Wikipedia entry for 2004 Russian Nationals is that she won the free skate but finished sixth in the short. Also, Tatiana Basova (the third-ranked skater at Nationals to be sent to Euros that season) finished in fifth at 2003 Cup of China and within 5.64 points of the podium, so I could imagine Soldatova being passed over altogether.

ETA: I should've read up on this before posting. It was all a bit complicated. A search of the archives says that there was a paperwork issue with Belarusian federation and that she couldn't switch back to competing for Russia in time for the 2004 World Championships. She was named to the team at first, but that was conditional on a green light from the ISU. Sokolova, Slutskaya, and Volchkova went to Worlds.
    Interesting. Thanks for the information. I just randomly looked her up after watching some programs from 1999. She really was a powerhouse in her SP that year.

vCash
    She was great. I loved her short programes at the 2001 Euro's & World's.
    Shame about her coz she was a real talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    Shame about her coz she was a real talent.
    Really? I feel she was a very, very average talent at best, who only medalled at Euros and Worlds because she got tremendous political support from Russia as a result of Slute not being at Euros and Worlds that year.

I mean, her basics were just OK, her jump and spin technique was so-so (just reasonable spring, lip and pre-rotated sal, occasional cheated jumps, slow spins), she wasn't flexible, musical or charismatic.

The seasons she skated for Belarus, her marks dropped like a rock even when she was clean.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Really? I feel she was a very, very average talent at best, who only medalled at Euros and Worlds because she got tremendous political support from Russia as a result of Slute not being at Euros and Worlds that year.

I mean, her basics were just OK, her jump and spin technique was so-so (just reasonable spring, lip and pre-rotated sal, occasional cheated jumps, slow spins), she wasn't flexible, musical or charismatic.

The seasons she skated for Belarus, her marks dropped like a rock even when she was clean.
    I liked her. She's not the only one to cheat her jumps. But she did have talent.
    And she was not the only one to have got political support.
    It's a pity she's gone.

vCash
    I mainly remember her for the way she'd pull her shoulders around on her backward crossovers. She looked very awkward.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash

I dont think it was really that political. She medalled since it was a super weak field. It is not like there is any skater you can say deserved the medal more that year, unless you think Malinina was robbed to not be placed above Kwan in one of the SP or LP which is the only way she could have passed Soldatova overall. If she skated for Russia I expect her marks would have still been very low in later years once the field built up again and she was passed by a slew of better skaters, if there was any chance she was even good enough to make the Russian womens team any year after 2000 that is. The fact a surprise 1 time World Champion like Butyrskaya could win Worlds so very easily by such a HUGE margin already gives you some insight into the field that year. Not to mention that Tatiana Malinina was actually that years GP final Champion, and was one of the favorites for Worlds that year. It was a transition year with everyone that mattered except for Kwan, Butyrskaya, and Gusmeroli either retired (Lipinski, Chen, Bobek, Bonaly), at a career crossroads (Slutskaya, Hubert), or not on the scene or far too new/young at that point (Cohen, Hughes, Nam, Volchkova). The field as it was mostly skated well for them, but it just wasnt a field stacked with elite.

She made the Russian team only since Slutskaya was in a major slump and Slutskaya and Sokolova were both out of favor with the federation for whatever reason around then. She only medaled at Worlds since Malinina made a crucial mistake in the short program, even though she beat her easily in the long program. It was a classic right place, right time scenario.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 01-11-2012 at 05:27 AM.

vCash
    I thought her style and overall skating improved a lot in the few clips I've seen of her skating post 1998, but her jumps started going AWOL at exactly the same time.

vCash
    Malinina was robbed. She never got the marks she should have.
    She was a real favourite of mine. She also seemed like a really nice lady.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    Malinina was robbed. She never got the marks she should have.
    She was a real favourite of mine. She also seemed like a really nice lady.
    I loved Malinina, but that kitsch Alladin program wasn't worthy of an 11 year old novice, let alone a 26 year old senior skater.

vCash
    I loved her 2000/2001 free skate. Her free at the 2000 Nations Cup & NHK Trophy were lovely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    I loved Malinina, but that kitsch Alladin program wasn't worthy of an 11 year old novice, let alone a 26 year old senior skater.
    Yes, that was very difficult to watch.
    If ignorance is bliss, I'm overjoyed.

vCash
    True, but Soldatova's programs weren't exactly masterpieces either.

Here is how I would call it:

1999 Worlds:

Ladies sp:

1. Bute
    2. Gusmeroli
    3. Rechnio
    4. Kwan
    5. Malinina
    6. Liashenko
    7. Soldatova

Ladies lp:

1. Bute
    2. Kwan
    3. Malinina
    4. Gusmeroli
    5. Rechnio
    6. Liashenko
    7. Soldatova

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    True, but Soldatova's programs weren't exactly masterpieces either.

Here is how I would call it:

1999 Worlds:

Ladies sp:

7. Soldatova

Ladies lp:

7. Soldatova
    Ouch! You really weren't a fan of Soldatova.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    She made the Russian team only since Slutskaya was in a major slump and Slutskaya and Sokolova were both out of favor with the federation for whatever reason around then.
    The Russian world team only once (1999).

She was sent to Europeans in 1998, having beaten both Slutskaya and Sokolova at Russian Nationals that year, but since both of those skaters had qualified for the Champions Series Final (and Slutskaya medaled at Euros), they ended up being sent to Olympics and Worlds and Soldatova ended her season at Euros (having won Jr. Worlds in December).

vCash
    IIRC, going into the Olympic season Butyrskaya and Slutskaya were already pretty much sure-ins given their Worlds placements in 1996 and 1997. Butyrskaya's Nationals and Euros win that season sealed it for her. Slutskaya bombed (for her) at Nationals but medalled at Euros and GPF and so also got the green light.

For that last spot, Soldatova beat Sokolova at Russian Nationals, but Sokolova beat Soldatova in the free skate. Soldatova won JGPF that season but Euros was her only senior international competition, which she only placed 7th. Sokolova on the other hand was in her second senior GP season and actually made the GPF. Ultimately, I think the Rus Fed made a conscious decision that since neither was going to be a threat for an Olympic medal anyway, might as well go with the prettier one.

vCash
    Ouch! You really weren't a fan of Soldatova.
    LOL, 7th is a bit harsh, but at least, I agree that I suspect political support to win that bronze medal. IMO, Vanessa Gusmeroli was better in the SP and in the LP.
    What bothers me the most, is that she had marks between 5.5 and 5.8 for artistic impression in 1999, then between 4.3 and 5.0 in Salt Lake City (2002).
    IMO, her overall skating was the same in 1999 and 2002, she was just less consistent in the jump department, and from Belarus.
    For the same mistake, Irina Slutskaya (also former bronze medal at Worlds) had between 5.2 and 5.7 in Nagano.
    I don't know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast