Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Thank you for asking this question, it's one I have wondered about and now I will know that I will be spelling good in the future.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    I always think of grey as having yellowish undertones and gray as having bluish undertones.
    Do you have synesthesia?

vCash
    The bigger question is why are there separate spellings for British and American English? I get that "color" is shorter than "colour", but why "realize" and "realise"? Is it a reminder for Americans to hit those consonants harder?

vCash
    I have no idea how it began, but I've often read that American spellings are more phonetic. Theatre/Theater is a good example, and realize/realise is too (though not quite as much).

Maybe a long time ago we had a tough time learning how to read, so they made it easier?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Grey looks much nicer.
    I agree!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I have no idea how it began, but I've often read that American spellings are more phonetic.
    It may be urban myth, but I was told that the NY Times and other newspapers were quick to adopt a change if it meant they could set fewer letters and use less ink.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Thank you for asking this question, it's one I have wondered about and now I will know that I will be spelling good in the future.
    YOU BETTER WATCH IT.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I have no idea how it began, but I've often read that American spellings are more phonetic. Theatre/Theater is a good example, and realize/realise is too (though not quite as much).

Maybe a long time ago we had a tough time learning how to read, so they made it easier?
    Um, no. After the Revolutionary War, Noah Webster changed a lot of American spellings, partly because he was an advocate of spelling reform and partly because he wanted American English to be different from British English because we weren't British any more.

Of course, that's overly simplistic; many of the spelling changes were actually well underway in the colonies while they still were colonies and some of the spelling changes were holdovers from British spellings of earlier periods, as well as variants brought by immigrants from other countries, but Webster's original dictionary is what made them standard American spellings.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    The bigger question is why are there separate spellings for British and American English? I get that "color" is shorter than "colour", but why "realize" and "realise"? Is it a reminder for Americans to hit those consonants harder?
    When I read the word "color," the voice in my head always pronounces it "cul-oor," i.e rhymes with "poor."

vCash
    I prefer Charcoal.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    YOU BETTER WATCH IT.
    oh...i'm watching it...

Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    bcuz mericans r 2 lzy 2 do the
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12