Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Vacant
    vCash

Dancing On Ice UK 2012 - Hello Katarina Witt & Brooke Castile!

I know the series has been going down the toilet for the last few years but..... this year it's back with a whole new feel. The first episode is just airing here with Katarina Witt on the panel and among the pro's Brooke Castile is appearing to partner Corey Feldman!

Any Brits tuning in this year?

By the way the comp is split into 2 first rounds and Brooke and Corey will skate next Sunday.

vCash
    I'm not normally a fan of the show (although I must admit to enjoying the snark as I watch) but I must admit I quite enjoyed the show tonight. I thought Katarina was excellent; her comment to the woman from Dallas about being 150 had me cracking up, as well as her wanting to get out on the ice to push the slow guy, I also would have saved Andy over Heidi.

Looking forward to seeing Brooke skate next week. I was having issues trying to identify the pros in the opening number because of the wigs.

My only complaint - Christopher Dean. Seriously can he not let the pros do their own choreography?! At least that way we'd not be subjected to the blah music choices and his horrendous "Dad dancing" and on the spot arm movements he insists on adding to everything!

vCash
    Here's an ad that Brooke Castile posted on her twitter page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h6MI...e_gdata_player

And here are twitter photos from the show itself.

http://yfrog.com/user/TweamProDOI/photos

Charlene Tilton? That seems so random...

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    Charlene Tilton? That seems so random...
    Actually, I seem to recall Charlene in an episode of Fantasy Island where her wish was to be a champion figure skater.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0577791/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Actually, I seem to recall Charlene in an episode of Fantasy Island where her wish was to be a champion figure skater.

Wow she kept the dream alive for over 30 years! That show aired in 1980. Wow!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieD View Post
    My only complaint - Christopher Dean. Seriously can he not let the pros do their own choreography?! At least that way we'd not be subjected to the blah music choices and his horrendous "Dad dancing" and on the spot arm movements he insists on adding to everything!
    Because it is T&D's DOI. They are the reason the show is even on. But you have to run out of ideas at some time.

I used to get DVDs of the show sent over to me and we had the season in Australia but lost interest after a couple of years. I just couldn't believe that there were sell out live performances based on the shows when really it is a group of adult skaters skating around on two feet. It might be a great promotion for skating but it doesn't nothing to show skating quality or skills. But regardless of the poor music selections and crap choreography, people still think that T&D are wonderful and how dare anyone criticise it. Nothing against them personally, it is the way people react to it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post

I remember this! Mr. Roarke gave Charlene's character some magic skates that he said supposedly had belonged to Sonja Henie. Dorothy Hamill starred in another Fantasy Island episode where she played someone who thanks to Mr. Roarke was singing operettas!

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    But regardless of the poor music selections and crap choreography, people still think that T&D are wonderful and how dare anyone criticise it. Nothing against them personally, it is the way people react to it.
    I agree about the way people react to the show, although I don't necessarily think it's all because of the reputation of T&D (up until DoI they may have been better remembered in Australian than in Britain).

I still adore T&D for their competitive and professional show careers, and they will always be my favourite ice dancers. I saw all but one of their tours way back in the 1980s and 1990s. But that's why I never went to see any of the Dancing on Ice Live shows when we were still in the UK. I saw T&D in their prime, and didn't want to spoil that. I enjoyed seeing them skate again on the TV version of DoI, and certainly didn't expect them to skate the way they did when they were younger, but it did get a bit same-y after a while, and I kind of wished they'd given the other Pros a chance to do their stuff.

I got to the point where I could no longer watch DoI - not because of T&D, but because of the people gushing about the trick moves the 'celebrity' skaters were given, whilst ignoring the stuff some of them did that was actually quite hard for adults to learn, even when the judges pointed it out.

The 'Dancing on Ice Effect' at the rinks was all too brief as well, and a mixed blessing. It brought people to the rinks, sure, but a lot of them gave up pretty quickly once they realised it wasn't as easy as it looked on TV. Some of them were pretty scary to talk to as well, and weren't really interested in real skating, even after trying it. I even heard some comments after the last Winter Olympics from people wondering why the skating there didn't look like the stuff on DoI!

Anyway, I don't even have the option of watching anymore and can't say I'm sorry. I looked at the 'celebrity' lineup for this year, and I hadn't heard of any of the alleged personalities. Usually I at least know the name of one or two! The professional lineup did look good though.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Hop View Post
    II got to the point where I could no longer watch DoI - not because of T&D, but because of the people gushing about the trick moves the 'celebrity' skaters were given, whilst ignoring the stuff some of them did that was actually quite hard for adults to learn, even when the judges pointed it out.

The 'Dancing on Ice Effect' at the rinks was all too brief as well, and a mixed blessing. It brought people to the rinks, sure, but a lot of them gave up pretty quickly once they realised it wasn't as easy as it looked on TV. Some of them were pretty scary to talk to as well, and weren't really interested in real skating, even after trying it. I even heard some comments after the last Winter Olympics from people wondering why the skating there didn't look like the stuff on DoI!
    That is the problem with a show like that. Has a very high profile but because most people don't watch quality skating, they watch something like DOI and then think that is what the sport is about.

The one that really bugged me was that guy in the 2nd or 3rd series that attempted an axel. Not so much that he tried it, but that many would have thought that the poorly executed axel they saw is what they jump should look like.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Accept no substitutes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    The one that really bugged me was that guy in the 2nd or 3rd series that attempted an axel. Not so much that he tried it, but that many would have thought that the poorly executed axel they saw is what they jump should look like.
    I know the one you mean, and agree, it was a bad two foot landing, and he didn't complete the rotation. What's more, in the same program the same skater landed what was actually a pretty decent single flip, but nobody ooh and aahed about that (except Robin Cousins) because nobody outside skating has ever heard of a flip.
    The ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods, and the cats have never forgotten.

vCash
    I watched it purely because someone I know is in it, but as it turned out he and his partner aren't skating till next week. I normally *hate* DOI but was actually pleasantly surprised, I think it has got better, possibly due to the fact that the majority of the panel knows what they are talking about now Still wish they could have an actual ice dancer on the panel but I thought Katarina was very good.

I am quite excited to see Brooke Castille and Corey Feldman.
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

vCash
    I decided to give the show another chance when I heard that Katarina Witt was going to be on the panel. I have to say I really enjoyed the show. It was great to Katarina Witt and I think Louie Spence is a great addition to the line up since he knows what he's talking about from a performance perspective but isn't a queenie arsehole like Jason Garnder was. I might stick with it for a few weeks.

vCash
    Thank goodness JG has been removed from the panel - the only thing better would have been if Karen had slapped him before he left when she had the chance I too had decided not to bother with the show anymore - mainly because of the offensive Jason Gardiner, but after seeing a 'serious' Louie Spence giving interviews I changed my mind. So far so good! I am surprised that Andy was first to go as I thought there was lots of potential there

Must admit I don't know many of the celebs but happy for Mark Hanretty that he is back again and interesting to see Vicky Ogden as one of the professionals.

Following the revamp how I wish they could find a new costume designer and get rid of whoever designs such old fashioned skating dresses - and a new hairdresser with up to date ideas while they're at it

vCash
    Vicky Ogden is my coach! Please vote for her
    Spiralgirl is the perkiest Perk you could ever perk your eyes on! - poths

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan View Post
    Following the revamp how I wish they could find a new costume designer and get rid of whoever designs such old fashioned skating dresses - and a new hairdresser with up to date ideas while they're at it
    But what would they do with 345786985432219 tons of plastic Barbie hair they bought four years ago? Why else would Corey feldman have that thing on the front of his head?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiralGirl View Post
    Vicky Ogden is my coach! Please vote for her

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    But what would they do with 345786985432219 tons of plastic Barbie hair they bought four years ago? Why else would Corey feldman have that thing on the front of his head?
    Don't you mean 40

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan View Post

Don't you mean 40

vCash
    I just can't watch this show anymore. Most of the celebrities look uncomfortable in skating attire and there is just too much emphasis on tricks over pure skating. I kind of saw the programme showing the 'highlights' of the live tour and it struck me how little many of the ones who were good on the show in past years have progressed. I get really cross that so many people will pay £30-£40 to see bad skating from celebrities and average skating from the pros (including T&D, who although still good and were excellent are not a patch now on today's top couples), and yet there are still tickets available for the Europeans. I am quite happy for the show to be on TV for a few weeks, following the 'journey' of people trying to learn something new, and I salute those who go on the programme and give it there all, but to allow them to go on tour is just wrong. It is like when people will pay high prices to see celebrities who can't act well on stage in pantomine but won't go to see good theatre actors in real plays.

I did try watching Sunday's show just to see how Charlene Tilton looked these days and was managing on the ice (nice to see an older American TV star actually looking human with a few wrinkles on her face), but I ended up fast-forwarding most of the show and all the comments and filler bits. I know Jason was nasty at times, but I just can not stand Louise Spence. I don't usually find campness off-putting, but there is something about him I can not take to. And I often did actually agree with what Jason was getting at, just not his choice of vocabulary.

I wonder when someone will tell the skiing lady, Chemmy, that it is not the jumps she should worry about but the turns, which is when she is more likely to catch an edge and break something twisting as she falls

vCash
    Is anyone watching

vCash

I'm actually enjoying the show so far. What a relief that Gardiner has gone, the whole show seems more relaxed and pleasant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast