Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Suing whom for what?
    The hospital for apparently forcing their families to leave waiting rooms etc. Apparently some women were even made to move rooms. Its actually "not" normal for patients to hate celebrities security teams while having babies. People were saying that the patients loved the Travolta's who were apparently nice and the security team helped everyone involved.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    People were saying that the patients loved the Travolta's who were apparently nice and the security team helped everyone involved.
    That's because they're Scientologists and they believe that a baby should be born in complete silence. Even the mother isn't supposed to make any noise.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Not that celebs aren't ridiculous, but is this just an issue of the hospital being totally unprepared for deal with celeb demands, while drooling over the money, and thus not planning for how other new parents would access their kids? I think this may be more the hospitals fault.

vCash
    Right, finally someone's addressing my question whether she really was pregnant or had a surrogate sign a confidentiality agreement.
    And WHY would they pick this hospital out of all the (no offense to Lenox) top rate hospitals in the world?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genegri View Post
    I think it's a beautiful name ...

Maybe it's my background but I don't get the level of people have towards unusual English names. This is one area people seem to like conforming and do not encourage creativity. I guess it's language related.
    Here's my take on it, for what it's worth: I think in many cases the parents are either being ignorant or pretentious or both. Some names are just too damn precious. You just know the parents wanted to give their offspring a name no else had. Heck, I once met a female student named Unique. Don't get me started on names with weird alternative spellings. Many alternative spellings are deliberate. With others the parents didn't know any better. "Latisha" is a good example of the latter. I suspect that way back when, some uneducated mother heard the name "Letitia" and decided to bestow it upon her infant daughter. Some of her equally uneducated friends and neighbors liked it and passed it onto their daughters along with the mispelling. For the record, I admit that I am a terrible name snob.

Be that as it may, I'm happy that little Blue came into the world healthy and wanted. Congrats to her parents.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    "Latisha" is a good example of the latter. I suspect that way back when, some uneducated mother heard the name "Letitia" and decided to bestow it upon her infant daughter. Some of her equally uneducated friends and neighbors liked it and passed it onto their daughters along with the mispelling. For the record, I admit that I am a terrible name snob.
    So am I. To the point where I have to hold back guffaws when I hear some people's names. Especially from the South - Charlesetta, Joetha, Modestine, Pleasantine (a distant relative, actually ) or some made up crazy name. I couldn't even watch Moesha because I thought that the character's name was horrid. And don't forget Gwyneth naming her daughter Apple or the actor from My Name is Earl naming his son Pilot something or other - do they wanna scar these kids for life? My brother and his ex are major twats, but they did give their brood decent names at least.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Ivy is a cute name, Blue is just weird.
    I like Blue a whole lot better than Ivy myself, but I think the juxtaposition is unfortunate. allezfred has it right--Batman villain.

But I don't consider either name particularly strange and think it's kind of when people complain about "made up" names. All of our names were made up at some point. I also don't get why people think that having an unusual name is a surefire sentence to a lifetime of mocking on the playground, either.

But we've been down this path many times before.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I like Blue a whole lot better than Ivy myself, but I think the juxtaposition is unfortunate. allezfred has it right--Batman villain.

But I don't consider either name particularly strange and think it's kind of when people complain about "made up" names. All of our names were made up at some point. I also don't get why people think that having an unusual name is a surefire sentence to a lifetime of mocking on the playground, either.

But we've been down this path many times before.
    I caught hell for my name!

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Well, now the NYTimes is reporting more about the security. The hospital went so far as to cover up security cameras. There's a lawsuit right there.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    I caught hell for my name!
    No, you didn't. Not really.

If kids want to make fun of you, they will. If your name happens to be a convenient way to do it, they'll use that, especially if it upsets you and you let it show. But if it isn't your name, it will be something else--your nose or your feet or that twitch you didn't have until they all started mocking it. Something.

But if they don't want to make fun of you, you could be named Penis Aloyisius Cornpone, and it wouldn't matter. They would nickname you Pac or Pen or something friendly and cute, and they would pick you first for the team.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash

If kids want to make fun of you, they will. If your name happens to be a convenient way to do it, they'll use that, especially if it upsets you and you let it show. But if it isn't your name, it will be something else--your nose or your feet or that twitch you didn't have until they all started mocking it. Something.
    Was Rex actually saying that he "caught hell" because of is name? Because I didn't read it exactly that way. More like his name was a focus of teasing/torment.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    I sort of like the name Blue and was sure I had heard it before. A quick google search and there it was. The Edge from U2 named their third child Blue Angel. Pretty sure I've read the name in a book at some point as well. Not so weird for me considering some of the names celebrities come up with and better a colour than a fruit imo I do agree though that read together, Blue Ivy, isn't the best combination but at least the child will grow up with a choice of two relatively sane names to pick from unlike poor Moon Unit.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    I like Blue and I like Ivy but the two put together just sounds wrong in my head. What's more pretentious than the name is the treatment that other parents received. I don't know whose fault it is but that's just wrong.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Port de bras!!!
    vCash

But if they don't want to make fun of you, you could be named Penis Aloyisius Cornpone, and it wouldn't matter. They would nickname you Pac or Pen or something friendly and cute, and they would pick you first for the team.
    One of the names I considered for Mini Ice was a common enough Israeli name for boys. However, in this country it's instantly recognizable as a girl's name AND a Disney princess . Relatives petitioned me to think it over. I did research and found a little boy, around 10 years old with that name. He told me he was teased relentlessly.

So I dropped it. What was I thinking?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Was Rex actually saying that he "caught hell" because of is name? Because I didn't read it exactly that way. More like his name was a focus of teasing/torment.
    And I repeat:

If kids want to make fun of you, they will. If your name happens to be a convenient way to do it, they'll use that, especially if it upsets you and you let it show.

The name itself is irrelevant. You could have any name, from plain Jane to something truly out there, and it won't make any difference in terms of whether other kids make fun of you or not.

Or do you think it would have bothered Rex less if they had made fun of him for something other than his name?

Teenage Mutant
    vCash
    One of the names I considered for Mini Ice was a common enough Israeli name for boys. However, in this country it's instantly recognizable as a girl's name AND a Disney princess .
    Ariel?
    Sometimes I think I lost something really important to me, and it turns out I already ate it.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    And WHY would they pick this hospital out of all the (no offense to Lenox) top rate hospitals in the world?
    I don't really know Lenox. Is it off the beaten path?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    I like Blue and I like Ivy but the two put together just sounds wrong in my head. What's more pretentious than the name is the treatment that other parents received. I don't know whose fault it is but that's just wrong.
    It can only be the hospital's fault.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

vCash
    And I repeat:

If kids want to make fun of you, they will. If your name happens to be a convenient way to do it, they'll use that, especially if it upsets you and you let it show.

The name itself is irrelevant. You could have any name, from plain Jane to something truly out there, and it won't make any difference in terms of whether other kids make fun of you or not.

Or do you think it would have bothered Rex less if they had made fun of him for something other than his name?
    ITA, I had a normal, plain name, and kids still made fun of it.

If you're parents are Jay-Z and Beyonce, your name is the least of your issue.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    Parents have the right to name their kids whatever they want, although I've always wondered about the logic that's used when they hang these atrocious names on these poor kids. Don't they know that these kids go thru life paying for their parents' desire to come up with these most unique and creative names?
    Fortunately for poor little Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii, not in every country (I think the New Zealand judge actually terminated parental rights over that one, possibly on the grounds that no one that stupid should be responsible for a child....)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast