Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post

I couldn't use Ari for a boy but that's because I'm an NCIS fan. Imagine having to explain the two-part episode called "Kill Ari I & II"....
    I had a student named Ari who had a lot of problems. A lot of problems. Could never use that name.

But in general, teachers and former teachers have a hard time naming children. This was brilliantly featured in an episode of How I Met Your Mother when Lily continually vetoed names because of kids she had taught.

vCash
    Ashley, Dana, Lesley/Leslie and Vivian were all male names long before they were given to girls.
    Yes I know. Most of the males I mentioned are from British families or are Jr / III.
    Last edited by genegri; 01-13-2012 at 12:50 AM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    If I were Beyonce and Jay-Z, I'd be getting one of these.

"Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    This was brilliantly featured in an episode of How I Met Your Mother when Lily continually vetoed names because of kids she had taught.
    I once read a murder mystery featuring a police detective with a funky name investigating a murder at an MLA convention. One of the jokes in the book was that every time he met an English professor, he would brace himself for a comment about his name, only none of the professors even noticed, as they had all had so many students with odd names over the years.

I don't remember anything else about that book, but that part still makes me . Once you've taught Mwomba Mbomba, Sylvan Sylvan, Begonia Beggs, I Suk Whiteneck, and Cricket Pigg (to name a few of my favorites), well, a name has to be pretty out there to be out there. And you almost never meet someone with a name you've never heard before or consider unusual.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I Suk Whiteneck? Really? REALLY?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I knew an Ari from Cub Scouts. That child will grow into a serial killer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I think that's my favorite name. I wish I had a friend named I Suk Whiteneck.
    Team Peeps!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Or a talent agent. A show biz says he is every bit the a$$hole he is portrayed in Entourage. And more.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Really!

I will admit that when I saw that one on the roster, there were some hickey jokes made.

Every now and then, I go back through old grade books and think, "I actually had a student named Pagan Peters? And I don't remember this person?" But some of them are more memorable than others.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    How old is he? Because this is a concern about the one I taught!

I had an Echo who excitedly came to tell me one day that her name was a word and in the dictionary. She somehow did not discover this until ninth grade.

I had a Sunny Dawn, so named because of the weather and time when she was born, who used both names.

I had Eukiah (boy) who went by Kiah until he realized that was why people thought he was a girl and was often called "Yuke" by his classmates, rhymes with "Nuke". And Fleming (girl) called "Flem" and oft treated to classmates clearing imaginary mucus from their throats while referring to her.

There are more. I have blocked them out.

vCash
    The Ari I knew is probably about 13 now? Not to derail the thread, but this child's grandparents cut off contact with the family because of him. The parents were nuts too. I was Den Leader to his older brother (who also had issues).

I guess the moral of this thread is don't hijack a hospital floor, and don't name your sons Ari?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    So am I. To the point where I have to hold back guffaws when I hear some people's names. Especially from the South - Charlesetta, Joetha, Modestine, Pleasantine (a distant relative, actually ) or some made up crazy name. I couldn't even watch Moesha because I thought that the character's name was horrid. And don't forget Gwyneth naming her daughter Apple or the actor from My Name is Earl naming his son Pilot something or other - do they wanna scar these kids for life? My brother and his ex are major twats, but they did give their brood decent names at least.
    I didn't think Moesha was all that bad. Last year on American Idol there was a girl named Ta-Tanisha. I thought that was awful. Your other examples are pretty bad too.

A common thing in the South is the double names which can be pretty bad. My parents didn't call us by our 1st & middle names but all my cousins went by both of theirs - Marilyn Ruth, Donald Glen, Sarah Kay, etc. Even worse is when the 2 names are shortened, so William Robert becomes Billy Bob or James Joseph becomes Jimmy Joe.

Blue is a pretty common name around here but I've never heard of it for a girl. I guess she will set a trend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    I sort of like the name Blue and was sure I had heard it before. A quick google search and there it was. The Edge from U2 named their third child Blue Angel. Pretty sure I've read the name in a book at some point as well. Not so weird for me considering some of the names celebrities come up with and better a colour than a fruit imo I do agree though that read together, Blue Ivy, isn't the best combination but at least the child will grow up with a choice of two relatively sane names to pick from unlike poor Moon Unit.
    Musicians are some of the worst when it comes to giving their children offbeat names. Keith Richards' eldest daughter is named Dandelion. Not surprisingly, she goes by her middle name, Angela. Queen drummer, Roger Taylor, named one of his daughters, Tiger Lily. Jermaine Jackson named one of his sons, Jermajesty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    Musicians are some of the worst when it comes to giving their children offbeat names. Keith Richards' eldest daughter is named Dandelion. Not surprisingly, she goes by her middle name, Angela. Queen drummer, Roger Taylor, named one of his daughters, Tiger Lily. Jermaine Jackson named one of his sons, Jermajesty.
    Jermajesty has to be the worst. How do you say no to a kid named Jermajesty?

vCash
    Ashley, Dana, Lesley/Leslie and Vivian were all male names long before they were given to girls.

I couldn't use Ari for a boy but that's because I'm an NCIS fan. Imagine having to explain the two-part episode called "Kill Ari I & II"....
    One of my favorite NCIS storylines. NCIS associations aside, I do like the name Ariel for either gender. I've also seen an alternative spelling, Arielle, used for girls.

vCash
    I know a girl named Emma who named her daughter Amy, but spelled it Amme so they'd have matching but opposite names.

I also went to school with an Anita Dick

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    I know a girl named Emma who named her daughter Amy, but spelled it Amme so they'd have matching but opposite names.

I also went to school with an Anita Dick
    I'm an Anita and I know how terrible that is. My sister has a gay friend on Facebook and whenever I comment on her posts, he always has to comment after me with "ANITA MANN!!!!" Which is apparently the name of a famous drag queen. I have yet to meet this friend and see if he greets me with that in person.

That also means I have to be careful about taking another last name when I get married. My bf's name is probably a no-go - it's pronounced "polka." Although it's certainly better than Dick!

My ex-bf joked that he'd be willing to take whatever last name he and his wife wanted. His genius suggestion was his mother's maiden name, which was Seltzer. His wife, Elka, put the kibosh to that. I told him he was terrible, LOL.

vCash
    I'm also an Anita, and the most I got teased about my name was my sister singing "Anita, Peter, Pumpkin Eater" and some guys calling me "Nit". My initials are "ALF" though, so I got teased (by my sister only) about that a bit . None of the Anitas I know were ever teased about their names. I don't mind it as a name at all, though it sounds formal as almost no one calls me Anita (I get called Neat or Neats for the most part, or Miss Anita because of my work).

vCash
    I was in a college class with a girl whose last name was Diechlich. Pronounced Diklik. I hope she didn't hyphenate it if she married. GREAT reason to take her spouse's last name.

vCash

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    If I were Beyonce and Jay-Z, I'd be getting one of these.

That's actually pretty cool!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast