Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Sorry for the shameless plug, but it's relevant...

http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/02/c...ur-continents/
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    As for Song Nan, he is currently 12th on the season's best list, with 2 skaters ahead of him not going to Worlds (Plushenko and Oda), but there is also a bunch of skaters who are below him on the list but could possibly overtake him with a decent skate at Worlds (Verner, Rippon, Joubert etc).

Go Song Nan and Zhang Kexin!!!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    As for Song Nan, he is currently 12th on the season's best list, with 2 skaters ahead of him not going to Worlds (Plushenko and Oda), but there is also a bunch of skaters who are below him on the list but could possibly overtake him with a decent skate at Worlds (Verner, Rippon, Joubert etc).
    It's highly unlikely he'll fall out of the Top 24 SB, though. Of the seniors, only three going to Worlds are within 10 points of his SB (Verner, Miner, Rippon), along with Yan Han (Jr. Worlds), and another four seniors (Van der Perren, Denis Ten, Contesti, and Joubert) and two juniors (Brown and Farris) are within 20 points of his SB.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Yes, but we are discussing whether he can make top ten (or twelve?) in Nice, allowing China to send 2 men to next Worlds. He appears to be right on the cusp, and will need to be clean at Worlds and hope for others to make some mistakes for him to make it - much like Zhang Kexin in the ladies.

And in some ways, with Han Yan and Li Zijun moving up to seniors next season, Song Nan and Zhang Kexin could very much be fighting a spot for themselves for next year.

vCash
    But we saw at 4CC that Song will drop way down the standings if he misses anything (and in fact, the judges gave higher component scores to Jinlin Guan, who didn't even attempt 3 axel or 4 toe)

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, but we are discussing whether he can make top ten (or twelve?) in Nice, allowing China to send 2 men to next Worlds. He appears to be right on the cusp, and will need to be clean at Worlds and hope for others to make some mistakes for him to make it - much like Zhang Kexin in the ladies.
    He'd likely need to match his SB (Cup of China) for the season -- his last two championships have gone the other way -- and he'd have to hope that Verner, Rippon, and Miner's momentum turns and that Joubert and Van der Perren don't come roaring back.

He should get two GP spots next year; almost every skater in the top 24 SB list was assigned two from the start for the last few years, even with the field reductions. He might have to wait for the Olympic year to compete again at Worlds, although he should be fine for 4C's, with three spots per nation. It's hard to imagine Han Yan not being top 10 next year, if he can skate the way he did at GPF while being that sick.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I wish someone would upload Zhang Kexin's 4CC videos to Youtube.

vCash
    If Song can hit his money jumps and skate well at Worlds, he shouldn't have trouble making the top 12. If he doesn't deliver though, then he could easily be out of the top 12 and may end up in something like 20th place. His PCS are not great, when he skates really well they rise enough to be competitive (though still not as high as most of the others scoring in the same range), but when he doesn't have the TES to help him out, his scores plummet, and the judges don't hold him up in PCS. Clean Song can score close to 160 for his FS maybe, but with mistakes, and not even an epic bomb, just mistakes, he usually gets like 120. So from a numbers standpoint he could finish like anywhere from 3rd to 24th place.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Top 12 isn't relevant for earning two spots for China next season with one entry. It is only relevant for GP spots, but since he's unlikely to fall out of the Top 24 SB list due to his score at CoC, he will be guaranteed one spot, and there is over 95% likelihood (under the current rules and number of competitors) to earn two in the initial selection, because almost every skater/team guaranteed one has been assigned two over the last few years.

A single entry earns two spots only by placing in the Top 10. I think Marco's point is that nine of the Men on the SB's list ahead of him will compete at Nice, and that they will likely to place Top 10 there, leaving one spot left in the Top 10. If only one of the skaters below him on the SB list skates to his potential, Song is out of the Top 10, and Han Yan will likely be the Chinese entry in 2012-13.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Top 12 isn't relevant for earning two spots for China next season with one entry. It is only relevant for GP spots, but since he's unlikely to fall out of the Top 24 SB list due to his score at CoC, he will be guaranteed one spot, and there is over 95% likelihood (under the current rules and number of competitors) to earn two in the initial selection, because almost every skater/team guaranteed one has been assigned two over the last few years.

A single entry earns two spots only by placing in the Top 10. I think Marco's point is that nine of the Men on the SB's list ahead of him will compete at Nice, and that they will likely to place Top 10 there, leaving one spot left in the Top 10. If only one of the skaters below him on the SB list skates to his potential, Song is out of the Top 10, and Han Yan will likely be the Chinese entry in 2012-13.
    This makes sense. I'm sure Song can get 2 GPs, he'll have one guaranteed and then will get CoC regardless, meaning 2. Top 10 at Worlds will be tougher but it is possible, it all depends on how the others skate.

vCash
    GS article about Yu/Jin, who just won JWC pairs silver.
    http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/03/x...n-on-the-rise/

I'm impressed/relieved that they train with the ice dancers and like it too. That might explain their nice lines and posture. I wonder if Sui/Han also work with the ice dancers?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by feraina View Post
    I wonder if Sui/Han also work with the ice dancers?
    I seriously doubt Sui & Han have worked much with any ice dancers or ballet dancers or anyone who could help with their edges, line, posture and finesse.

Either that or the work is not showing yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12