Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Chinese Figure Skating Thread

I figured we should have a Chinese figure skating thread since we have one for Russia and one for France. I don't think I've seen one of these, but if there already is one then sorry.

vCash
    Also, it seems like good timing since Pang and Tong had their first competition back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9utezNcyFAQ
    SP is from last year (Chopin Nocturne)
    Everything looks pretty good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN2ekGCj8vI
    FS has music from Scheherazade
    Pang struggled with all the SBS jumps falling on the triple toe and singling out both double axels
    One thing that bugged me was that after the first ten seconds they don't look at each other until around a minute and 15 seconds into the program which is odd considering that Scheherazade is supposed to be seducing the Sultan with her beauty and her stories.
    Throw 3S was nice. Throw 3Lo was okay but she was slightly off on the landing and didn't the beautiful exit that we normally see from her.
    Big problem with the axel lift

Considering that it's their first comp since Worlds, I guess it wasn't terrible, but they are going to need to put a lot of work in technically and choreographically if they even want to beat Kavaguti and Smirnov.
    Then again, they tend to have the most success during Olympic years. (World champs in 2006 and 2010)
    Last edited by Macassar88; 01-08-2012 at 07:54 AM.

vCash
    Thanks for the video link. I thought that P/T were not competing at all this season. They will have to really focus on their training for Worlds if they want to catch up wth the top teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kittyjake5 View Post
    Thanks for the video link. I thought that P/T were not competing at all this season. They will have to really focus on their training for Worlds if they want to catch up wth the top teams.
    They stated at the end of last year that they would skip the grand prix and just do words so that they could take a rest.

I want Pang to fix some of her lift positions. That hand to hand catchfoot position is really ugly especially since she has a nice line normally so she could do the basic position and make it much more beautiful.

I feel like they are very good, but they haven't kept with the trends especially since so many other teams are making drastic improvements and moving on.

vCash

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    I figured we should have a Chinese figure skating thread since we have one for Russia and one for France. I don't think I've seen one of these, but if there already is one then sorry.
    Thanks! FYI there have been 2 earlier Chinese skating/skater threads, but neither has been updated/bumped up in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by gofigure View Post
    Nan Song ended up finishing a close 2nd (152.55) to Han YAN (154.30) in the Men's free skate at China's 12th Winter National Games, a prestigious event held once every 4 years -- link to the event thread in Kiss and Cry for results/more videos: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81892
    Last edited by Sylvia; 01-08-2012 at 08:54 PM.

vCash
    Has the Chinese had their nationals yet? I want to know how Zijun Li did...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Has the Chinese had their nationals yet? I want to know how Zijun Li did...
    The Chinese Nationals were in September. Zijun won the ladies' event.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Ch..._Championships

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    The Chinese Nationals were in September. Zijun won the ladies' event.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Ch..._Championships
    Boy! I'm late! Thanks for that!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Boy! I'm late! Thanks for that!
    No problem.

vCash
    Yes, but the National Winter Games just took place several days ago and Zijun won the LP with a score of 125.56. Of course these are inflated scores, but she certainly is a bright spot in Chinese skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lainerb View Post
    Yes, but the National Winter Games just took place several days ago and Zijun won the LP with a score of 125.56. Of course these are inflated scores, but she certainly is a bright spot in Chinese skating.
    She's very promising. She has triple flip triple toe and double axel triple toe double toe. She also has a beautiful back position on her layback. However, she needs more complex choreography if she wants to move up.

vCash
    Li Zijun is China's best hope in the ladies by far. However, besides a horrible flutz, she also needs to fix her stylistic issues as well as those crossovers.

Yan Han is definitely a diamond in the rough. Throw in a good choreographer and he can be top 10 at Worlds already.

I am actually much more worried about pairs. P&T and Z&Z will likely be quite old by Sochi and S&H isn't quite soup yet. The sloppiness and technical issues with S&H can't exactly be fixed in 2 seasons.

If China has a decent dance team, it can totally qualify for the Sochi team event (although probably can't get past Russia, Canada, US etc) for a medal.
    Last edited by Marco; 01-13-2012 at 08:22 AM.

vCash
    Li Zijun is definitely a promising skater and she will be better as she gets older
    definitely she is China's new Chen Lu

and I see Han Yan as a future Champion

China just needs to work more on Dance Teams

vCash
    Kexin Zhang just scored a combined 162 at Four Continents on the weekend for 5th place overall. If she's going to Worlds, that would be on the cusp of the top 10, which would be great getting 2 entries for next year.

vCash
    Interesting. She is currently 18th on the Seasons Best List going into Worlds and 7 of those above her aren't going. It would be great if Zhang Kexin could place top ten at Worlds. Not easy but definitely not impossible.

Currently the top ten looks like it's a battle between 2 Americans, 3 Russians, 3 Japanese, 1 Italian, 1 Finn and 1 Georgian. Zhang is going to have to be totally clean and hope for 2 ladies to bomb a little (possibly Elene G whose seasons best score is close to hers, or Makarova whose seasons best score is actually below hers).

And if she did, she and Li Zijun could go together next year
    Last edited by Marco; 02-14-2012 at 04:09 AM.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Kexin Zhang has triple toe triple toe, double axel triple toe. Maybe triple lutz triple toe??? Hope she's going to be clean in Worlds.

vCash
    I liked Zhang at 4CC's. I just wish she could show some feeling when she skates. It would help her PCS.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    It will be so GREAT if both Kexin and Song could make to top 10 at worlds, since the top juniors Zijun and Han Yan will also compete at senior level for next season and they surely will give a big threat to the veteran.

Cannot wait for the Junior World!

vCash
    Excited for Song Nan and Kexin Zhang at senior worlds! Hope they do well!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast