Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 622

Thread: Baseball 2012!

  1. #161
    Ma name's Beckeh.
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Room 101
    Posts
    1,921
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1024
    Quote Originally Posted by jobelle View Post
    Felix Hernandez. Perfect Game. That is all.




    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

    LONG LIVE THE KING!!!!
    Roll Tide, y'all!

  2. #162

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Not after the same people as Theatregirl
    Posts
    21,701
    vCash
    350
    Rep Power
    15439
    I hope it's not overshadowed by Melky Cabrera's positive drug test.

    Dammit, Melky. I power voted you to the All-Star game.

    Meh.

  3. #163
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,283
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    You were the first one I thought of when the news about Melky broke PL. Stupid!!

    Here's hoping the Perfect Game will overshadow Melky's stupidity and Congratulations to Hernandez on one incredable achievement!!!

  4. #164
    Ma name's Beckeh.
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Room 101
    Posts
    1,921
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1024
    I don't have cable so I don't know what's happening on tv, but Felix is still the top story on ESPN mobile.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

  5. #165

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Not after the same people as Theatregirl
    Posts
    21,701
    vCash
    350
    Rep Power
    15439
    My mlb.tv feed must be about one minute behind the actual game, cuz I just got spoiled on twitter. It was a good spoil, so it's cool.

    Also, the Astros and Cubs are apparently mathematically eliminated now. Both due to the Giants. I used to be huge fans of both those teams (and will still root for the Cubs, should they ever make the post-season again), so it's sad to see them out of it this early.

  6. #166
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southern CA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,498
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    My mlb.tv feed must be about one minute behind the actual game, cuz I just got spoiled on twitter. It was a good spoil, so it's cool.

    Also, the Astros and Cubs are apparently mathematically eliminated now. Both due to the Giants. I used to be huge fans of both those teams (and will still root for the Cubs, should they ever make the post-season again), so it's sad to see them out of it this early.
    Cubs are about three years away from fixing the mess they are in. But with Epstein and Hoyer in charge, they at least have sound management to guide them for once.

    Frankly, it would be outstanding for Baseball if the Cubs could win it all. In the past 8 years, we've had jinxes elminated for the Red Sox, White Sox and Giants. All MLB needs is for the Indians and Cubs to win and all the jinxes will be gone.

  7. #167
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    71
    Posts
    3,965
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Thumbs up

    Had my 1st visit to the $650,000,000 Marlins Park last night.

    1) As a baseball team the Marlins are bad. They fell behind early, fought their way to a lead, then their relief pitching blew it in the 8th. They tried to rally in the 9th, but couldn't.

    2) This is sad, because they play in one of the most impressive buildings I've ever been in. It is one of the sports gems, IMO, and a welcome addition to the South Florida sports scene & the area in general. Marlins Park is beautiful, airy and spacious, fan friendly and a delightful place to view the sport it was built for. It offers one amenity I've never seen in any other sports arena: a kiosk that serves nothing but gluten free products, including beer (Red Bridge & Omission). Since I've been a celiac since at least 1980 this is huge. Watching the game while gnawing on a hot dog and slurping a beer is what it's all about, IMO...

    3) Parking can be a pain, but I found a place to park very close to Marlin's Park for less than the Marlin's going rate. I had no problems getting in or out, plus I got to take a short walk in East Little Havana. Most places seem to be run by folks from El Salvador. It ain't the richest part of town. I had no problems at all. Most area residence seemed glad to have folks going to the game. Plus, about half of the City of Miami PD were on the scene. All was peaceful and friendly. I can see this place eventually helping the area. It may take awhile, but it looks like it actually could happen. I hope so.

    4) I'd heard that it was a very Spanish oriented building. English signage was rare. Not so. English seems to predominate, but, the stadium & it's surrounds are appropriately bi-lingual, as Miami should be. I had zero problems in that regard. I don't think anyone will. they've done a superior job for everyone.

    I've more to say, but I'm still trying to sort it all out. To say I was favorably impressed is an understatement. I did not know what to make of the place, but my feelings before going were somewhat negative. No more. I love Marlin's Park. I think that it will eventually become one of the jewels of Miami and of the sport itself. It is that good.

    NJL

  8. #168
    Beach Bum
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Maryland burbs and shore
    Posts
    12,986
    vCash
    583
    Rep Power
    5666
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Cubs are about three years away from fixing the mess they are in. But with Epstein and Hoyer in charge, they at least have sound management to guide them for once.

    Frankly, it would be outstanding for Baseball if the Cubs could win it all. In the past 8 years, we've had jinxes elminated for the Red Sox, White Sox and Giants. All MLB needs is for the Indians and Cubs to win and all the jinxes will be gone.

    Went to the Nats Cubs game last night. It was a home run derby. Cubs have to do something about pitching. Man, they went through a gazillion pitchers. Usually in DC, there are a ton of Cubs fans in attendance, and you see almost as much blue as red. Not so much last night. I do like the Cubbies (unless they are playing the Nats).

    Still holding my breath here in DC. I am going to Atlanta to the Nats Braves game on the 16th.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

  9. #169

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Not after the same people as Theatregirl
    Posts
    21,701
    vCash
    350
    Rep Power
    15439
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilJLeonard View Post

    I've more to say, but I'm still trying to sort it all out. To say I was favorably impressed is an understatement. I did not know what to make of the place, but my feelings before going were somewhat negative. No more. I love Marlin's Park. I think that it will eventually become one of the jewels of Miami and of the sport itself. It is that good.

    NJL
    I like that whacked out sculpture thing in center field. Very voidy.

    Speaking of the Cubs, I was watching the Cubs/Giants game on WGN over the weekend and there were EMPTY SEATS at Wrigley. I can't remember the last time I saw that.

  10. #170
    Beach Bum
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Maryland burbs and shore
    Posts
    12,986
    vCash
    583
    Rep Power
    5666
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Speaking of the Cubs, I was watching the Cubs/Giants game on WGN over the weekend and there were EMPTY SEATS at Wrigley. I can't remember the last time I saw that.

    I know, I tried to get tickets at Wrigley for several season to no avail.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

  11. #171

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1891
    It's September and the Orioles are tied for 1st place. I'm scared to think too far ahead.

    Sad part is, I haven't paid attention to baseball in at least 5 years or so. Not only do I not know who most of the Orioles are, I don't know much about the rest of the players. I should brush up in case....well....if it's...um...ever needed.

  12. #172
    Ma name's Beckeh.
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Room 101
    Posts
    1,921
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1024
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    It's September and the Orioles are tied for 1st place. I'm scared to think too far ahead.

    Sad part is, I haven't paid attention to baseball in at least 5 years or so. Not only do I not know who most of the Orioles are, I don't know much about the rest of the players. I should brush up in case....well....if it's...um...ever needed.
    I've often thought that about the Mariners--keeping up with the players just in case. I know King Felix and that, alas, has been sufficient lately.

    BTW, I used to live in Maryland when I was a kid and rooted for the Orioles when they played Pittsburgh in the world series.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

  13. #173

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1891
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    BTW, I used to live in Maryland when I was a kid and rooted for the Orioles when they played Pittsburgh in the world series.
    I have vague memories of the 79 WS. I remember not knowing anything about what the WS was, and when people were all abuzz about the Orioles going to the WS, I first thought it was something that went on for months, lol.

    I think I jinxed the Orioles. Maybe I shouldn't post anything optimistic until...um...ever?

  14. #174
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    Age
    41
    Posts
    5,283
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think this could be one of the most exciting Pennant Races in years. So much is so close and undecided.

    For those of us w/teams out of it and who adore Baseball, it's gonna be fun!!!

    For those w/teams in the hunt...Good Luck and remember that Vacumn Cleaners are our friends to clean up the stuffing after you've torn that pillow or Teddy Bear to pieces.

  15. #175
    a monkey stole my title
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Globetrotting
    Posts
    8,846
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5838
    Whatever happens, I'm happy that it's fun to watch the Phillies again. Because it wasn't for much of the season. And when your team is spending eleventy billion dollars on payroll, last place is a tough pill to swallow.

  16. #176
    Go Team SW Florida! =)
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,884
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    448
    I heart my Reds.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

    "I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

  17. #177

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Not after the same people as Theatregirl
    Posts
    21,701
    vCash
    350
    Rep Power
    15439
    Giants/Reds for NL Playoffs!

    With the Giants winning in four, of course.



    And the Giants winning the World Series on my birthday, naturally.

  18. #178
    engaged to dupa
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Heaven for climate, Hell for company.
    Posts
    18,917
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1083
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Giants/Reds for NL Playoffs!

    With the Giants winning in four, of course.



    And the Giants winning the World Series on my birthday, naturally.
    Dream on, sweet thing.
    3539 and counting.

    Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

  19. #179
    Go Team SW Florida! =)
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,884
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Giants/Reds for NL Playoffs!

    With the Giants winning in four, of course.



    And the Giants winning the World Series on my birthday, naturally.
    Your team all ready won two years ago. Time for some new blood to win the World Series....RED blood!!! GO REDS!!!!!!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

    "I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

  20. #180

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Not after the same people as Theatregirl
    Posts
    21,701
    vCash
    350
    Rep Power
    15439
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Dream on, sweet thing.


    I'm going to be in San Francisco the weekend the playoffs start. But my friend is getting married. I suppose I have to go to the wedding.


Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •