vCash
    Buster is MVP!

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    And so is Miggy!
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Trout wuz robbed!

He actually has good defense to go along with his good offense.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    In Cabrerra's defense, he was moved from his position at first to third, an arguably difficult position, to make room for Fielder. In that context, he handled himself defensively very well. Trout played in his usual position all year, and didn't have the same success at bat as Cabrerra. No slam on Trout - he had a great season and deserves his Rookie of the Year. It's just that you have to look at the defense in context.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Trout actually played all three outfield positions this year. Granted, there's not as much difference in playing them as there is between 1st and 3rd, but there still are differences. Also, Trout is a much better baserunner.

Even though I would have given it to Trout because I think he's a more well-rounded player, I have no problem with Miggy winning. I do have a problem with the margin of victory though. I think it should have been much, much closer.

*Trout only played a few games in right. He doesn't have much of an arm.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    I do have a problem with the margin of victory though. I think it should have been much, much closer.
    I figured it would be a blowout for Cabrera. I'd hoped it wouldn't be, but considering Trout plays for a west coast team and already won RoY, I just knew he wasn't gonna get equal consideration for MVP. If Trout was a Yankee or Red Sock, it would've been really close.

And I fear Weaver will never win the Cy Young no matter go good he does. I'm not claiming he was robbed this year or anything, it's just a feeling I have in general.
    Last edited by Cloudy_Gumdrops; 11-16-2012 at 03:11 AM.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Here is an interesting article on this year's awards.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    Bud Selig "still reviewing" the deal according to the Toronto Star. But honestly, Jeffrey Loria holds better sales than Wal-Mart.
    If Bud Selig ever wants to come to Canada, he'd better OK that deal or he's going to have some 'splaining to do! Just cause he feels sorry for one team (that is American based and not one of those "power" teams like Boston or the Yankees) doesn't mean he has to veto it and say "hey small market teams, don't bother trying to get better cause I'll stick it to ya".
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Melky Cabrera signs at 2 year, $16 million contract with the Blue Jays.

Interesting.

vCash
    Yeah, the Blue Jays are spending $$$
    Who'd have thought.
    Still waiting to hear about the mega trade from two (three?) days ago with the Marlins. What's the hold up. I'm not impressed the commish says he feels bad for the Marlins -- that sounds like he's using some of that as part of his basis to perhaps deny it?
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Melky Cabrera signs at 2 year, $16 million contract with the Blue Jays.
    I'm sure he'll be a great role model for Yunel Escobar

I wonder if without the PEDs he'll revert to Atlanta form. If so (((Blue Jays fans))).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I'm sure he'll be a great role model for Yunel Escobar

I wonder if without the PEDs he'll revert to Atlanta form. If so (((Blue Jays fans))).
    Yunel is part of the 12 player trade the Jays did earlier in the week (and that we are still waiting for approval by the commish) and is supposed to be headed to the Marlins. I would hope "someone" can explain to him what is and isn't appropriate to write on yourself.
    Crazy about sports!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    The Mega Trade between the Jays and the Marlins is now Official!!

And Deb...Selig's only doing his job as the Commissioner to make sure everything about this was on the up and up. It wouldn't look too good for either team or the game itself if something fishy had gone into the making of the deal. I give him credit for that.

I feel so badly for the Marlin fans. The Team has been for all intents and purposes razed to the ground and combine that w/how your new ball park was financed...I don't blame any Marlin fan for being beyond incensed over this. If the shoe was on the other foot and the Jays had pulled this on us, I'd feel exactly the same way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    The Mega Trade between the Jays and the Marlins is now Official!!

And Deb...Selig's only doing his job as the Commissioner to make sure everything about this was on the up and up. It wouldn't look too good for either team or the game itself if something fishy had gone into the making of the deal. I give him credit for that.

I feel so badly for the Marlin fans. The Team has been for all intents and purposes razed to the ground and combine that w/how your new ball park was financed...I don't blame any Marlin fan for being beyond incensed over this. If the shoe was on the other foot and the Jays had pulled this on us, I'd feel exactly the same way.
    I feel bad for Marlin fans too but that doesn't mean I expect the commish of baseball to commiserate with them in their suffering. That is one of the things that really ticked me off. I mean really? Would he have said such a thing if the trade had been in reverse? I somehow doubt it. It makes him look biased.

I also don't get why it took him 6, yeah SIX freaking days to come to such a decision. It sure didn't take him that long with the Dodgers trade. Doubt it would have taken 6 days if the teams trading with the Marlins were say ... the Yankees. I just find it very strange.

Oh well, don't care about that now. Deal is done and the lineup that people are suggesting might happen looks awesome. Next up ... a manager who can actually manage the players IN the dressing room and ON the field.

Go Jays!
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Selig cares a lot more about the owners than he does about the game, the fans, or the players. Seeing as he was once involved in ownership himself, he never should have taken the job in the first place because of that conflict of interest.

And letting Jeffrey Loria get away with this same sort of crap twice? Fool me once, shame on you - fool me twice, shame on me.
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I have a real, honest to goodness Justin Verlander autographed baseball!

(It's not really mine. I got it for an auction for a fundraiser for my son's senior class at the high school - the Tigers donated it to us. The auction is December 13th. But until then......)

I have a baseball signed by Justin Verlander!

vCash
    How much did it sell for?

The Giants released Brian Wilson.

vCash
    The Giants released Brian Wilson.

Well, technically they non-tendered him, and I'm sure they'd love to have him back - just not at arbitration cost, and probably not with a contract he'd like much. But maybe there won't be enough interest and he'll have to compromise?

The Braves non-tendered Jair Jurrjens. Hard to believe this is the same guy who was an all-star with a great record a year and a half ago.

vCash
    I know the details. I even actually agree with the Giants (low base salary plus incentives). It just sucks.

vCash
    I know the details. I even actually agree with the Giants (low base salary plus incentives). It just sucks.
    Evidently there has been some acrimony between Wilson and the team. Brian is saying he's a proven player who's given everything to the team, including having two Tommy John surgeries. And the team is saying that those two surgeries make a big contract a gamble. And add in that Wilson's comback is going very slowly, and one can understand the team's reluctance to commit to the kind of contract he wants. Interesting is that the idea of his signing with the Dodgers has come up, sort of a ploy to get the fans on his side. But there is likely a team or two that will give him what he wants. Which is a shame, he's a Giant and he should stay a Giant.

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast