Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball 2012!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I agree, Lucy25. plus, you want to beat them at their best, not when they lose a star player. (Conversly, if you lose, you don't want to lose to them without their star player. )

I was at the Detroit Symphony Orchestra concert last night (side note, they played Bolero and I could see Torvill and Dean skating to it in my mind's eye ), and at the very end of the concert the orchestra played Go Get 'Em Tigers and the audience sung the refrain. It was pretty fun.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    I agree, Lucy25. plus, you want to beat them at their best, not when they lose a star player. (Conversly, if you lose, you don't want to lose to them without their star player. )

I was at the Detroit Symphony Orchestra concert last night (side note, they played Bolero and I could see Torvill and Dean skating to it in my mind's eye ), and at the very end of the concert the orchestra played Go Get 'Em Tigers and the audience sung the refrain. It was pretty fun.
    That's pretty cool. They don't play that enough. Kids nowadays would never recognize it.

vCash
    Sad about Jeter Factor in no Jeter, no Rivera, and the majority of the team forgetting how to hit, it's not looking good at all

vCash
    Okay, it's been a looooooong time since I've cheered for a team that made it this far (The Diamondbacks in 2001). I wasn't following baseball when the Giants won in 2010.

I think I'm going to have a heart attack. Does anyone have any nitro I can borrow?

vCash
    Yipeeeee!!!!!!!!!!! Tigers take a two game lead heading back to Detroit. I am THRILLED. I will have to agree that there was a really bad call at 2nd base that went against the Yankees but considering what I have to listen to from the announcers, I'm not going to hold it against the umpire. I swear that the people announcing the games on Sportsnet are pro Yankee cause it seems that 80% of what they talk about revolves around the Yankees. Can I just say I would be out of my head happy should the Tigers remove the Yankees from post season play -- and the sooner the better. Then I wouldn't have to listen to such fawning from the announcers. At least when they break, I get to enjoy former Blue Jay catcher Gregg Zahn. That guy tells it like it is

BTW, I do feel sorry for Jeter. Sorry to hear that he was bad enough that he wasn't even allowed to go to the park for today's game, which might have inspired his team to play better.

PL -- sorry, can't help with the nitro. Mom's meds are at the home with her. May I suggest that you perhaps do something else with your hands while the game is going on -- like squeezing a stress ball perhaps? Just a thought.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    I swear that the people announcing the games on Sportsnet are pro Yankee
    Ya think?
    The only team they are worse homers for is the Blue Jays. And thankfully that part of the season is over, at least.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Ya think?
    The only team they are worse homers for is the Blue Jays. And thankfully that part of the season is over, at least.
    Well I could understand about the BJ since it IS a Canadian channel and they are covering the only Canadian based team. However, when you have two teams that are both from the U.S. and the announcing is so very biased -- hmmm ... where's the barf icon?
    Crazy about sports!

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    I swear that the people announcing the games on Sportsnet are pro Yankee cause it seems that 80% of what they talk about revolves around the Yankees. Can I just say I would be out of my head happy should the Tigers remove the Yankees from post season play -- and the sooner the better. Then I wouldn't have to listen to such fawning from the announcers. At least when they break, I get to enjoy former Blue Jay catcher Gregg Zahn. That guy tells it like it is
    They're picking up the Fox feed .. those are American announcers. Personally, I turn the sound off and listen to the radio till the Sportsnet guys come on during the breaks.

Here in SW Ontario many of us were Tiger fans before the Jays ever came to be. GO TIGERS!!

vCash
    Espn also favors the Yankees and other east coast teams to a lesser extent. It's like the rest of the league doesn't exist. The other teams barely get a mention.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    My ex-husband, a huge baseball nut, always ranted that the Yankees and the Red Sox got Games of the Week and, in the playoffs, the coveted evening games. Phillies, Nats, Mets and Orioles -- the other East Coast teams -- not nearly so much.

When I really followed baseball, every year a team like the A's or the Rangers or the Angels would make it into the playoffs and I realized that in a six month season I had never seen them play!
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Some of us are really just set in our ways. Baseball is an east coast game and football is a northern game. The Arizona Cardinals? Really?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Has Joe Buck been run out of San Francisco yet? He called the 49ers game, they lost; then he sped across town and called the Giants game, and they lost.

Joe Buck.

I'm wearing my Giants tights today.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Some of us are really just set in our ways. Baseball is an east coast game and football is a northern game. The Arizona Cardinals? Really?
    I know plenty of southerners who would disagree with this statement. Football is practically a religion in Texas and Oklahoma.

I think of baseball as an east cost game, because those tend to be the areas where the player budgets are astronomical.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I know plenty of southerners who would disagree with this statement. Football is practically a religion in Texas and Oklahoma.

I think of baseball as an east cost game, because those tend to be the areas where the player budgets are astronomical.
    Currently #1 is 'Bama & #2 is Florida. The very southern SEC seems to rule right now.

NJL

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    That's college/high school ball - I was talking the NFL, should have been more specific.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    You people take your football talk elsewhere. I keep coming in here and it's more football.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Go Cards!
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I'm going back and forth on who I'd want the Tigers to play if they win the pennant.

The Giants would be good because PL is a huge fan, and I'd be happy for her if they were. However, we'd be stuck with West Coast starting times, and that really sucks for us.

St Louis would be good because we owe them for 2006, however than PL will be and that would be no fun.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post

The Giants would be good because PL is a huge fan, and I'd be happy for her if they were. However, we'd be stuck with West Coast starting times, and that really sucks for us.
    I know. It's fine during the summer, but once school starts? It's hard to stay up that late.

St Louis would be good because we owe them for 2006, however than PL will be and that would be no fun.
    It's okay. It's just baseball. If the Reds had beat the Giants, I'd be screaming for them to crush the Cardinals. It's all good.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    You people take your football talk elsewhere. I keep coming in here and it's more football.
    3539 and counting.

Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast