Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball 2012!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    And in non Playoff news from last night....Omar Vizquel ended what will be a Hall of Fame Career in a Toronto Blue Jays uniform last night and after all that's happened this season, at least we were able to give Omar a classy send off. Also could I adore Lawrie any more? To make Omar's final game even more special, Brett gave up his number, which Omar had for so many years, for the night so Omar could end his career w/the number he started w/. I also lost track of how long the Standing Ovation went for when he came up to bat for the first time last night.

And to put an !!! on the evening, he got a gorgeous base hit to bring in a run and then made one last basketcatch to finish it all off w/.

Congratulations to Omar on a brilliant career and see you in Cooperstown in a few years.

Now bring on the Playoffs!!!

vCash
    GO BRAVES!!!!!!!!!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Here is one reason why you don't have a one game playoff in baseball. A questionable late call and here come all the bottles on the field. Classy.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Yeah, the trash on the field was uncalled for but it was a lousy call.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    That call was horrible but the fans behavior was reprehensible.

Why don't things like this go against the Cardinals???! I swear they get ALL the breaks and I see them enough as a Reds fan to be hotly annoyed about all of it. UGH.
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Yeah, the trash on the field was uncalled for but it was a lousy call.
    It was, but no excuse. Very frustrating for the fans, but Unacceptable. I have loathed the Braves for decades though. And one of their drunk fans called me a fat bitch when I was walking through the Turner Field parking lot with my Nats shirt on last month. They won so its not like we were gloating. So even if it was unfair for Chipper Jones leave his last game with trash flying, I had a smile on my face.

Now for the real playoffs.
    Last edited by Rob; 10-06-2012 at 05:24 AM.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    vCash
    ORIOLES MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoping for some of that magic for my Reds tomorrow night!!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    AHEM. I am hoping for some Giants magic tonight. Not that I'll be able to see it. Stoopid wedding.

vCash
    I don't understand the infield fly rule. I don't know if the call was right or not. I don't think the call made much of a difference, though. The Braves were sloppy last night. Hard to win a game when you make that many errors.

As for the fans - they're lucky the umps didn't call a forfeit after that embarrassing display.

vCash
    This is why I didn't like the one game idea - you have a team that earned its way into the post-season, but had the misfortune to play in the same division as the best team in baseball. One afternoon of lousy play against an inferior team - not reflective of what they've done for most of the year - and a terrible call by an umpire, and they're done. It's not right, it's not how baseball is played; I could have lived with the Braves losing a series, but this just sucks.

OTOH, at least it leaves me more time for skating

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    Why don't things like this go against the Cardinals???! I swear they get ALL the breaks and I see them enough as a Reds fan to be hotly annoyed about all of it. UGH.
    At this point, I am willing to reconsider my policy of cheering for anyone who plays against the Yankees.

I'm hoping for a Reds-A's World Series now. I think it's what Bud Selig would least like to see, I like Oakland, and the Reds are overdue for a nice post-season run. What's it been now, more than 20 years since their last trip to the World Series, right?

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I'm hoping for a Reds-A's World Series now. I think it's what Bud Selig would least like to see, I like Oakland, and the Reds are overdue for a nice post-season run. What's it been now, more than 20 years since their last trip to the World Series, right?
    There went the dinner I was going to buy you in February in Israel.

A Nats-A's World Series would be fine, though. Even better, a Nats-Orioles series.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post

A Nats-A's World Series would be fine, though. Even better, a Nats-Orioles series.
    Hey, you promised you have shallow loyalties, and it's not like I said I wanted the Yankees to beat the Nats

I want the A's, they're fun. The Orioles are more than welcome to play them in the ALCS, however. And I would like to have the Nats in the NLCS, since that would mean St. Louis goes home, not to mention I'd rather see the 98-win team advance.

From what I've seen, quite a few players (not for the Braves) have tweeted about how bad that call was. Obviously the errors and poor situational hitting got the Braves to that point, but seriously, it was awful.

vCash

I'm hoping for either a Nats-Orioles, Reds-Tigers, or Giants-A's World Series. I want nothing involving the Yankees or Cardinals.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I KNEW I should have paid better attention when my ex-husband explained the infield fly rule. However, from everything I've read, it was misapplied in this case anyway.

Bet on my Nats beating the Cardinals. Past that, I'm not sure.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    I KNEW I should have paid better attention when my ex-husband explained the infield fly rule.
    I suspect Sam Holbrook should have paid better attention, too

vCash
    I used to be an umpire. That was so NOT an infield fly. And I hate the Braves. But I thought it was cool that Chipper Jones said it didn't cost them the game; their sloppy play did.

Go Giants! I'm hoping to watch at least part of it.

vCash
    Why don't things like this go against the Cardinals???! I swear they get ALL the breaks and I see them enough as a Reds fan to be hotly annoyed about all of it. UGH. [/QUOTE]

I agree, Heather C. The Cardinals get all the breaks and I'm hoping the Nationals beat them. Right now I'm biting my nails for the Reds, waiting for the game to start.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC View Post
    ORIOLES MAGIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yeah!

Good luck to your Reds! Maybe we'll play them in the World Series. I don't expect the Orioles to get there, but you never know.....

vCash
    I'm fairly new to baseball. What other breaks have the cardinals had?

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    The last time the Reds were in the World Series was 1990 so it's been 22 years for my guys (the last time they even won a playoff game was 1995! ) so yes, they are WAY overdue for some post season glory!

Playoff baseball is going to be the death of me though. My nerves were shot by the first inning tonight after Cueto came out of the game injured but MAD PROPS to all of my guys for coming up huge for their teammate. Mat Latos is a STUD and I am so proud of him for coming up big. They're now three outs away from their first playoff win since 1995! GO REDS!!!!!!

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast