Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast

Thread: Baseball 2012!

vCash
    I heard that crap about him wanting to play for the Dodgers as well, but nowhere I've looked have I seen a direct quote from him. It's always "sources say that Wilson said..."

I know he lives in LA in the offseason, so that would probably be a reason, but I just don't buy it. I hope they can reach a deal. If he does go to another team, it needs to be a team near me. (KC, Chicago, Denver) so it will be cheaper to stalk go see him play.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I heard that crap about him wanting to play for the Dodgers as well, but nowhere I've looked have I seen a direct quote from him. It's always "sources say that Wilson said..."

I know he lives in LA in the offseason, so that would probably be a reason, but I just don't buy it. I hope they can reach a deal. If he does go to another team, it needs to be a team near me. (KC, Chicago, Denver) so it will be cheaper to stalk go see him play.

What about Detroit? He could set up for Bruce Rondon and they can certainly use his personality in the clubhouse.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    I don't think sk8er1964 is ready for the Beard in Detroit.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Roll Tide, y'all!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I don't think sk8er1964 is ready for the Beard in Detroit.
    I dunno. We had the Bird once, why not the Beard? Plus, then you could come over and we could finally meet!

(ETA - I don't know what his reputation is regarding clubhouse antics....)

vCash
    But he'd be playing for an American League team. (I hate the DH. HATE IT.)

Despite the beard, he's actually intelligent and funny, and is considered a team leader. And, from the clubhouse footage in The Franchise runs around shirtless quite a bit. Which I am totally fine with.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    It's about damned time!!!

CBC Sports ~ Late Blue Jays voice Tom Cheek wins Ford C. Frick Award

From Day One on that snowy day at the old Exhibition Stadium Tom was *the* voice of Toronto Blue Jays Baseball. You always knew the game had well and truly started after the first hit, whether it was a base hit or Grand Slam Homer, Tom always said...

...And the Blue Jays are in flight
    The April after Tom passed away, we were coming home after a trip over to Sudbury and had the game on the radio. It was the first time we'd listened to a Jays game on the Radio in a long time, as w/the dish and Sportsnet, all of the games were now on TV. Anyway...It was the first time I'd ever heard anyone other than Tom say that sentence and the tears started flowing.

Some of my favourite childhood memories are of doing something or going somewhere w/that man's play by play as the soundtrack to it all. Especially coming over here for the weekend from Sudbury after Dad had finished the afternoon shift at the Mine and listening to Tom telling us how the Jays were doing out West.

I was starting to wonder if he was ever going to get in. This is so very long overdue and I actually started crying after hearing the news. Silly, I know, but as I said, I've got so many wonderful memories tied up w/listening to Tom and....Yeah.

For Canadian Sports Fans, there are two legendary calls we think of when we think of major history making moments when we look back on the 90's. One being Don Wittman of the CBC's call of our Men's 4X100 Metre Relay crossing the line to win the Gold Medal in 96 in Atlanta.

The other one is this one.

YouTube ~ Touch em all Joe

I am so happy for the Cheek Family and Opening Day at the Dome this year is going to be so special when they honour Tom, as we all know they will.

Congratulations Tom!! Long overdue Sir!!
    Last edited by AragornElessar; 12-06-2012 at 12:26 AM.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Whole post
    Well said!!! Whatever I know about baseball I learned from Tom Cheek and the Tigers' Ernie Harwell. I had the privilege of meeting them both and they were wonderful people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    Well said!!! Whatever I know about baseball I learned from Tom Cheek and the Tigers' Ernie Harwell. I had the privilege of meeting them both and they were wonderful people.
    Lucky you getting to meet them both. I also learned just about everything I know about baseball from listening to those two guys.

I remember one September weekend we were over here, and this was back in the day when the games were on CTV for the Jays and CBS for the Tigers on Michigan TV. We also were able to get the games on the radio. It was a tight pennant race that year between the two teams and since I understandably wanted to know what was going on w/the other team, if the Jays were on TV, I'd have it on mute and the Tigers on the radio and vice versa when it was the other way around.

Back in the day before the Internet and satellite TV and Radio everywhere. Those were fun days though.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Lucky you getting to meet them both. I also learned just about everything I know about baseball from listening to those two guys.

I remember one September weekend we were over here, and this was back in the day when the games were on CTV for the Jays and CBS for the Tigers on Michigan TV. We also were able to get the games on the radio. It was a tight pennant race that year between the two teams and since I understandably wanted to know what was going on w/the other team, if the Jays were on TV, I'd have it on mute and the Tigers on the radio and vice versa when it was the other way around.

Back in the day before the Internet and satellite TV and Radio everywhere. Those were fun days though.
    We did that too!! One of my favourite memories is sitting in the bleachers at Exhibition Stadium with my dad cheering on the Jays and listening to a faint Tigers broadcast on the radio!

vCash
    We did that too!! One of my favourite memories is sitting in the bleachers at Exhibition Stadium with my dad cheering on the Jays and listening to a faint Tigers broadcast on the radio!

I can so see that in my mind's eye too.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    (ETA - I don't know what his reputation is regarding clubhouse antics....)
    ETA: I meant to answer this with the second part of PL's post below but I'm on my phone and I screwed it up.

But he'd be playing for an American League team. (I hate the DH. HATE IT.)
    I understand where you're coming from but without the DH Edgar Martinez would have had a much shorter career.

Despite the beard, he's actually intelligent and funny, and is considered a team leader. And, from the clubhouse footage in The Franchise runs around shirtless quite a bit. Which I am totally fine with.
    Brian is really goofy which I think would be good for the Tigers because they all seem so quiet and reserved.
    Last edited by galaxygirl; 12-06-2012 at 02:16 AM.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    It's about damned time!!!

CBC Sports ~ Late Blue Jays voice Tom Cheek wins Ford C. Frick Award

From Day One on that snowy day at the old Exhibition Stadium Tom was *the* voice of Toronto Blue Jays Baseball. You always knew the game had well and truly started after the first hit, whether it was a base hit or Grand Slam Homer, Tom always said...

The April after Tom passed away, we were coming home after a trip over to Sudbury and had the game on the radio. It was the first time we'd listened to a Jays game on the Radio in a long time, as w/the dish and Sportsnet, all of the games were now on TV. Anyway...It was the first time I'd ever heard anyone other than Tom say that sentence and the tears started flowing.

Some of my favourite childhood memories are of doing something or going somewhere w/that man's play by play as the soundtrack to it all. Especially coming over here for the weekend from Sudbury after Dad had finished the afternoon shift at the Mine and listening to Tom telling us how the Jays were doing out West.

I was starting to wonder if he was ever going to get in. This is so very long overdue and I actually started crying after hearing the news. Silly, I know, but as I said, I've got so many wonderful memories tied up w/listening to Tom and....Yeah.

For Canadian Sports Fans, there are two legendary calls we think of when we think of major history making moments when we look back on the 90's. One being Don Wittman of the CBC's call of our Men's 4X100 Metre Relay crossing the line to win the Gold Medal in 96 in Atlanta.

The other one is this one.

YouTube ~ Touch em all Joe

I am so happy for the Cheek Family and Opening Day at the Dome this year is going to be so special when they honour Tom, as we all know they will.

Congratulations Tom!! Long overdue Sir!!
    Count me in as another who listened to Tom on the radio - long before they hit big on the television screen. And watching that video clip -- well tears well up in my eyes once again. What a magical time it was and who better to say so.
    Crazy about sports!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I have a real, honest to goodness Justin Verlander autographed baseball!

(It's not really mine. I got it for an auction for a fundraiser for my son's senior class at the high school - the Tigers donated it to us. The auction is December 13th. But until then......)

I have a baseball signed by Justin Verlander!
    How much did it sell for?
    $360!

vCash
    $360!

So the Blue Jays get RA Dickey? And some sports writer has already proclaimed them World Champs 2013. Because those big signings last year worked out so well for the Angels and Dodgers.

vCash
    Well, it is one heck of a Starting Lineup on paper at least.

At least none of us Jays fans can say that Alex Anthropoulos isn't doing nothing to try and make the team better this Off Season.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    It's waaay to early to call anyone World Champs 2013. All these big signings have to stay healthy and perform. But I have to admit that I'm feeling more about the Jays than I have in years.

Watch me move
    vCash

So the Blue Jays get RA Dickey? And some sports writer has already proclaimed them World Champs 2013. Because those big signings last year worked out so well for the Angels and Dodgers.
    Toronto sports writers are desperate for something to be hopeful about. Because the rest of the year they have to write about chronic losing teams like the Maple Leafs and the Raptors.
    Last edited by overedge; 12-19-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: missteak
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    It's waaay to early to call anyone World Champs 2013. All these big signings have to stay healthy and perform. But I have to admit that I'm feeling more about the Jays than I have in years.
    Exactly!! So long as we aren't bit as hard by the Injury Buggie Boos as we have been the last few years, then I'm really hopeful too. They were saying during the piece of the News Conference/Pressers w/Dickey during the Supper Hour Toronto Sportscast, that it's only two and a half/three months till Spring Training starts.

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Toronto sports writers are desperate for something to be hopeful about. Because the rest of the year they have to write about chronic losing teams like the Blue Jays and the Raptors.
    Not sure that was a TO sports writer .. cuz if/when it doesn't happen, they'd be roasted by their peers!

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast