Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball 2012!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964 View Post
    I'm going back and forth on who I'd want the Tigers to play if they win the pennant.

The Giants would be good because PL is a huge fan, and I'd be happy for her if they were. However, we'd be stuck with West Coast starting times, and that really sucks for us.

St Louis would be good because we owe them for 2006, however than PL will be and that would be no fun.
    Aren't World Series first pitch times fixed, regardless of who the teams are?

As for STL, I said earlier the second wild card was a bad idea, and clearly I was right - because now we'll all be stuck with St. Louis again.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    I haven't been this excited about baseball for a while. Somehow the Tigers have become my favorite team. I don't know why; I've never been to Michigan. Maybe it's because their colors are the Broncos colors.

No cable though so I haven't been able to watch any of the playoffs.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Aren't World Series first pitch times fixed, regardless of who the teams are?
    I don't know. I do know that I didn't see much of the last three games of the Oakland series because they started too late. The games were ending around midnight here.

Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    I haven't been this excited about baseball for a while. Somehow the Tigers have become my favorite team. I don't know why; I've never been to Michigan. Maybe it's because their colors are the Broncos colors.
    It's a really good organization, too. The family that owns the team (the Illitch family) is very into the city. They've done so much good in trying to revitalize it.

They also own the Detroit Red Wings, and Little Caesars Pizza. The latter is very very involved in youth hockey, which is huge in Detroit. My son played for teams in the LCAHL for six years.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Why is the ALCS on TBS but the NLCS is on FOX? I don't get TBS and I don't want to watch the stinking NLCS.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    I don't know. I do know that I didn't see much of the last three games of the Oakland series because they started too late. The games were ending around midnight here.
    AFAIK World Series games are supposed to start around 8 pm Eastern - it has to be a network scheduling thing, most of the LCS games are 8 pm, too. They may take longer to play, though, with all the ceremonies and strategic stuff going on and whatever. The division series are another matter.

Anyway, now you can cheer for the Giants without being concerned about starting times, if you're so inclined And I just realized - since the Giants players had a large role in winning the ASG (not just Melky), they deserve the home field advantage more than the Cardinals.

Shadow dancing
    vCash

Thanks for the info.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post

Anyway, now you can cheer for the Giants without being concerned about starting times, if you're so inclined And I just realized - since the Giants players had a large role in winning the ASG (not just Melky), they deserve the home field advantage more than the Cardinals.
    Exactly. Panda was pretty awesome in that game, too, as well as Cain and Posey.

vCash
    So when I can't watch the game and have to listen surreptitiously on my iPhone, the Giants win.

I will just have to live with this. Go Giants! And I hope Marco Scutaro is okay. I haven't seen the play yet with Matt Holliday. Do I want to?

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I agree, Lucy25. plus, you want to beat them at their best, not when they lose a star player. (Conversly, if you lose, you don't want to lose to them without their star player. )

I was at the Detroit Symphony Orchestra concert last night (side note, they played Bolero and I could see Torvill and Dean skating to it in my mind's eye ), and at the very end of the concert the orchestra played Go Get 'Em Tigers and the audience sung the refrain. It was pretty fun.
    Exactly!! While I despise the Yankees, I do have great respect for Jeter both on and off the field. Glad it's only a broken ankle and not the Achilles rupture I was calling last night. At his age, it would be far harder coming back from an Achilles rupture.

Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Well I could understand about the BJ since it IS a Canadian channel and they are covering the only Canadian based team. However, when you have two teams that are both from the U.S. and the announcing is so very biased -- hmmm ... where's the barf icon?
    If it's the TBS guys, then yes, they're pretty bad US bias wise. The MLB Intl guys OTOH are pretty good about not falling into that trap IMO. Last night Sportsnet was having fits w/the MLB Intl feed that we ended up w/the TBS feed more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    They're picking up the Fox feed .. those are American announcers. Personally, I turn the sound off and listen to the radio till the Sportsnet guys come on during the breaks.

Here in SW Ontario many of us were Tiger fans before the Jays ever came to be. GO TIGERS!!
    Like my Dad and his best friend. He told me last night even if they weren't playing the Yankees, he'd still be cheering on the Tigers.

It's a really good organization, too. The family that owns the team (the Illitch family) is very into the city. They've done so much good in trying to revitalize it.

They also own the Detroit Red Wings, and Little Caesars Pizza. The latter is very very involved in youth hockey, which is huge in Detroit. My son played for teams in the LCAHL for six years.
    What the Illitchs have done for Detroit and the franchises they own is really incredable. They deserve every single accolade they get. Truly they're one of "the good guys" in Major Sports Franchise Ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    So when I can't watch the game and have to listen surreptitiously on my iPhone, the Giants win.

I will just have to live with this. Go Giants! And I hope Marco Scutaro is okay. I haven't seen the play yet with Matt Holliday. Do I want to?
    No, you don't. As Gregg Zaun said, it started out as a clean slide into second that ended up as a nasty dirty play. While he doesn't believe it to be intentional, he still said it was pretty nasty. Which is is. Hope our former Blue Jay's okay.

vCash
    I saw the replay on Baseball Tonight last night. It looked pretty deliberate to me, and it isn't the first time Holliday's done that - earlier this year, he went out of the baseline to take down Starlin Castro.

Of course, Curt Schilling advocated for Holliday to be knocked down by Ryan Vogelsong , but I'm glad the Giants kept it classy. Besides, Scutaro getting a hit and then Holliday misplaying it was poetic justice.

vCash
    AE-the bias I was speaking about in commentating was while watching the Tigers vs. the Yankees -- both teams that are based in U.S. cities. It was very clear, to me at least, that those two were all about the Yankees. When NY was up to bat, it was mostly all about their offense; when NY was out in the field it was mostly all about their defense and inbetween the top & bottom of innings it still seemed to be about the Yankees this, that and whatnot. Considering I don't like the Yankees to begin with, it certainly didn't make watching the game any easier. Tonight I think I will mute the TV and turn on the radio if those two boneheads are back doing commentary again.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    You are banned from attending Giants' games for the remainder of their series against the Cardinals. It's important the Giants win this series, so I don't want you anywhere nearby.

vCash

Text conversation with my sister last night:

Me: They're up by six. Can I turn it on now.
    Her: I suppose.
    Me: Posey just struck out.
    Her: TURN IT OFF!

vCash
    And the Tigers hold on for another win inspite of the Yankees threatening to come back in the 9th inning again.

Talking heads on Sportsnet after the game was kinda interesting. When asked by the "host" if the Yankees showed enough of a spark in the 9th inning to indicate they might have something left in the tank (so to speak, and I am paraphrasing) -- one of the guys said he thought they did. Zahn, being the voice of truth, said they are done. HA! Gotta love a guy who speaks his mind. Hoping he's right.

Go Tigers!!! Git R Done!
    Crazy about sports!

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Go Tigers!!! Git R Done!

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Rain delays over yet? Go Giants!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Nope for the Tigers. It's sounding like they will call it, if the announcers can be believed.

vCash
    WAHHHH, Yankees SUCK. Boooo! I have one team left... GO GIANTS!!

vCash
    Went to MLB web site and the game in Detroit has been postponed until Thursday @ 4pm. Works out good for me, mostly, cause I have a Jr B hockey game to attend.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    The Giants need:

1. For Hunter Pence to start hitting with men in scoring position
    2. To stop hitting into double plays
    3. Quit putting Aubrey Huff in the game. I don't even understand why he's on the post-season roster.
    4. For Tim Lincecum to tomorrow

Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast