Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball 2012!

vCash
    If you're going to add another wildcard, at least make it a three game series between the two wildcards and not single elimination, which is very un-baseball like.

Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    I wouldn't want to be Mark Ellis tonight.
    Dodgers were behind by one in the 7th, he had a great hit, reached second and tried to extend to third. Didn't work out too well. Then the very next batter managed to triple but was left on base. Baseball sure is cruel sometimes...
    Especially since the loss officially knocked the Dodgers out of the playoffs. I haven't seen the play, was it close at third? Did it make sense to try and stretch the double?

Meanwhile the Adam Greenberg one at bat thing ended with him striking out on three pitches - seems cruel to finally get such an opportunity only to have to face R.A. Dickey... but at least he got his chance, and he now has one at bat more than Moonlight Graham

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    If you're going to add another wildcard, at least make it a three game series between the two wildcards and not single elimination, which is very un-baseball like.
    Then the post-season goes way into November.

I like the sudden death one game playoff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Then the post-season goes way into November.

I like the sudden death one game playoff.
    Would you like it as much if your team were the no. 1 wildcard, though?

I think it penalizes the wildcard teams, which is unfair considering these teams are often equal to or better than some of the division winners. Of course one could say that it's fine, because wildcard teams could have won their division and avoided being in that position - but we all know that not all divisions (and regular season schedules) are created equal. Maybe we should just have the two worst playoff-bound teams face off, instead of the two wildcards . This might help avoid some of the tiebreakers, which would put wildcard teams in the position of having to use their no. 1 and 2 pitchers just to get into the LDS, while a team like this season's Tigers has no such problem.

I'm undecided about whether the second wildcard is even a good idea. When the it works right, it's great - e.g. there are some pretty evenly matched AL teams and it's good that they'll get a shot at the playoffs. OTOH, there will be situations where the second wildcard rewards teams that aren't all that deserving (e.g. if the system had been in place last year). And the setup right now doesn't seem well thought out in terms of structure and scheduling.

Adding two more games wouldn't send the playoffs way into November - and if the scheduling is sorted out correctly, the whole thing could still be done before October ends: for instance, have fewer days off in the playoffs (during and between series) and between the end of the season and the wildcard games. Basically, my point is that baseball is based on series, and going the one-game route, unless it's a tiebreaker, runs contrary to that - so a three game set would be a relatively easy fix. And personally, I liked the last November World Series, and I'd be fine with having one again.

vCash
    First two games are at the 3/4 seeds' parks, last three at 1/2 seeds' parks. Next year, they return to 2-2-1
    Wasn't there also a rule that prevented two teams from the same division from meeting in the Division Series? So if for example the Nationals end up with the best record in the NL, they would typically face the NL team with the least wins (sometimes the wildcard, sometimes one of the other division winners). However, if the Braves are the wildcard team that make it through, since they're in the NL East with the Nationals, they couldn't face each other in the NLDS. And since #1 and #2 won't play each other in the NLDS, that would mean the Nats would have to play the Giants, and the Reds, with the 2nd best record in the NL, would play the Braves.

I thought this was a rule in the past, but I assume it's no longer in place today?

Beach Bum
    vCash
    From wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_L...all_postseason

Before 2012, if the wild-card team was not from the same division as the best divisional champion, those two teams played each other in the first round, while the second best divisional champ and the bottom divisional champ played against each other. If the wild card team was from the same division as the best divisional champion, the second best divisional champ played the wild card team and the top divisional champ played the bottom divisional champ. And so, there would be two five game first round series in each league, and the winners of those two series would play off each other in a 7 game series to determine their league's champion.

Starting in 2012, the winner of the Wild Card Showdown will play the best divisional champion even if those teams are from the same division.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Teddy won the President's Race today at Nats Park!

vCash
    Especially since the loss officially knocked the Dodgers out of the playoffs. I haven't seen the play, was it close at third? Did it make sense to try and stretch the double?
    I don't think so.

Oakland just took the AL West in their last game. The Bay Area must be ecstatic tonight!

NY and Baltimore up tonight - I think the Yankees control their own destiny if they win against the Red Sox.

vCash
    That's awesome for Oakland! Congrats to them.

Zemgi, it should be harder for the wildcard team and I'd feel that way even if its the Giants . But I also think a series for the WC team is too much. Depending on how far they go, that wod be really taxing on the pitching staff.

vCash

I saw it, Ellis was out by at least 20 feet. Dumbest baserunning error I've seen in a while.

Ellis then has a chance to win the game in the bottom of the 9th and he pops out.

Pretty bad night altogether

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    So my Reds will face the Giants in the NLDS starting on Saturday night in San Francisco. I have tickets to the first home playoff game at GAPB and I am SUPER pumped for the post season! This is also where I stop talking to Princess Leopard until the series is over because it may not be healthy for either of us, LOL

GO REDS!!!!!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    That's awesome for Oakland! Congrats to them.

Zemgi, it should be harder for the wildcard team and I'd feel that way even if its the Giants . But I also think a series for the WC team is too much. Depending on how far they go, that wod be really taxing on the pitching staff.
    Well, this is where I disagree - except for yay Oakland! . I think wildcard teams having to go on the road is enough, considering that their records are often quite good. I don't think such teams should essentially be penalized for playing in stronger divisions.

A three-game wildcard series would be like an abbreviated turn through the rotation, so with a day off before the LDS, that puts the no. 1 starter in line for game 2 of the division series, I believe? That it would require more games for the wildcard would balance out with the ability to stay a bit sharper. OTOH, it means three division winners would have a very extended break. Not a good idea, either - there is really no ideal way to schedule an uneven number of teams in the playoffs.

I have a solution: bring in a third wildcard, and then all the division winners can play wildcards!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I am afraid of my Nats playing the Giants. Because they ousted my Phillies two years ago and even though they're never all that stellar, they do just enough to win.

And yeah, I'm having dual-loyalty issues here. After being a Phillies fan my whole life, my own daughter got obsessed with the Nats, and I have lived my whole adult life here, and so what am I gonna do but root for my hometown team?

(And zemgirl, what the hell happened to you to make you such a baseball fan? Speaking of dual loyalties )
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Nats will play either ATL/STL first - In August, we went 2 for 5 against the Cards and 0 for 3 against the Braves. So I can't get ahead of myself. Right now, I am just hoping for more than 1 home game because I am afraid to think about them playing either the Giants or the Reds.

Now I have to spend some time figuring out how to get there Wednesday. Metro will be packed, and it takes me like 1 1/2 hours to get home on Metro (waiting in line, changing trains) as opposed to 20 minutes driving. And of course, we don't know if Metro will be open if the game goes to extra innings. But driving will be awful getting there, and parking will be a nightmare. What a fantastic problem to have!!!!!

PR Lady - I have that issue as well, was a Mets fan for 15 years when I lived in NYC and many years thereafter - until the Nationals showed up. But its hard to root against the Mets when they come to town.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    I am afraid of my Nats playing the Giants. Because they ousted my Phillies two years ago and even though they're never all that stellar, they do just enough to win.

And yeah, I'm having dual-loyalty issues here. After being a Phillies fan my whole life, my own daughter got obsessed with the Nats, and I have lived my whole adult life here, and so what am I gonna do but root for my hometown team?

(And zemgirl, what the hell happened to you to make you such a baseball fan? Speaking of dual loyalties )
    My time in the US coincided with the early years of the Braves' division title streak, and we had TBS. All those east coast games started right after I came home from school, so it was convenient and I got hooked. It also compliments skating season quite nicely, though that didn't became a consideration until later

I have no dual baseball loyalties, I just get a kick out of the A's winning whenever they manage it; I like that they're a small market, low budget team. They also seem fun, and being an AL West team they are as far removed from the Braves as possible. But while we're on the subject of dual loyalties... I don't think you should switch your baseball allegiance, that goes against the whole point of being a fan! And within the same division, no less? That should only be allowed in an extreme situation (= if the other team is in the World Series, facing the Yankees ).

The Giants would scare me, too, but they're the Reds' problem for the time being .

vCash
    I am going to be in San Francisco for the NLDS. Tickets are on Stub Hub for $80. I've paid more than that for spring training tickets.

The game is at 6:30. My friend is getting married at 6.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    But while we're on the subject of dual loyalties... I don't think you should switch your baseball allegiance, that goes against the whole point of being a fan!
    I'm an American who works for Israel. Dual loyalties are my middle name.

And you know, I rooted for the Philadelphia Eagles for thirty years except when they were playing the Washington Redskins. (Also same division.) Then the Eagles hired a dog-torturer as quarterback and made my rooting life easier, except for the fact that the Redskins have sucked for many years. So I just root for the Patriots because Tom Brady is

People in my line of work have very shallow loyalties.

vCash
    I'm an American who works for Israel. Dual loyalties are my middle name.

And you know, I rooted for the Philadelphia Eagles for thirty years except when they were playing the Washington Redskins. (Also same division.) Then the Eagles hired a dog-torturer as quarterback and made my rooting life easier, except for the fact that the Redskins have sucked for many years. So I just root for the Patriots because Tom Brady is

People in my line of work have very shallow loyalties.
    Well yes, but that's work, not fandom!

I don't find Brady all that good looking these days - he's not aging particularly well, IMO.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Well yes, but that's work, not fandom!

I don't find Brady all that good looking these days - he's not aging particularly well, IMO.
    Sez you. I find him to be aging nicely to the point where if he is interested in a cougaresque experience, I'll take Giselle on for the opportunity.

vCash
    They are stellar, bint! And they have freaking fabulous beards!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I find him to be aging nicely to the point where if he is interested in a cougaresque experience, I'll take Giselle on for the opportunity.
    At least wait until the baby's born
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast