Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball 2012!

vCash
    AE, what you may not know is that the umpire, Bill Miller, is widely regarded to be among the bottom three worst umpires, along with the horrid Joe West and Angel Martinez. So the bad calls are no surprise to anyone who follows baseball. It's a shame that lousy umps are allowed to keep their jobs when the whole world knows of their incompetence. MLB will tell you that their punishment is to not work the post-season, which is a financial hit to the umps, but IMO, that's not good enough.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    No, I did not know that about that guy KHenry. Knew about the other two though.

As you said, why on earth these idiots are kept around is beyond idiotic. How do twits like this help give the game a good image and not allowing them to work the Post Season is only a slap on the wrist to guys like this.

Beyond sad.

vCash
    AE: I watched that game and was just about as livid as Brett. Those two calls were sooooooooo badly done that even *I* could have made the correct call. Sheesh, I am really getting sick to death with the obvious bad calls I'm seeing in sports in 2012 -- hockey, lacrosse, baseball. I mean, one bad call I can live with but back to back? No way, no how.
    Interesting how the home plate ump for last night's game called a very different strike zone.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Well, it's hard to believe, MLB actually suspended an umpire today. It wasn't Bill Miller who screwed over Brett Lowrie, but it's something:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...165346691.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Well, it's hard to believe, MLB actually suspended an umpire today. It wasn't Bill Miller who screwed over Brett Lowrie, but it's something:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...165346691.html
    Too little, too late. What really gets me is that when players and/or staff "cross the line", we usually see the result and hear about suspensions shortly thereafter. However, when it comes to game officials -- and I don't mean just baseball but any sport I watch -- we seldom hear anything being done to get them to "toe the line". IF, and that's a big IF, some discipline occurs, we next to never hear about it or there are rumours that a certain person got a talking to about their call/lack of call.

I'm still royally ticked -- more than 2 months later -- at some very shoddy calling in our playoff hockey games. We had about 5 goals called off in 4 different games -- two of them in a rather pivotal game. Then in the 3rd OT of game six, the refs are letting pretty much everything go that would normally just be a 2 minute minor. Well that told the other team that it is OPEN Season on head hunting and head hunt they did. A blatant high stick to the face that produced bleeding from the nose. Normally would be at least a double minor of 4 minutes but more likely a 5 minute major. Neither ref has the balls to make the call cause they "are letting the boys decide the game". Sure one team is there is play hockey, the other is gooning it at home in front of their rather rabid fans. Blatant actions that would warrant a penalty any other time doesn't get called. So what happened to the ref who waved off two goals in one game -- that were actually good goals and pretty much everyone in the rink knew it? I "heard" he got spoken to about his rather one-sided calling for the game. Hmmm, big whopping deal. You know how some people say that you don't have to just beat the other team but the officials too -- well in this series it was true. And yep, still pissed off about it ... two months later.
    OK, stepping off my soapbox now.
    Crazy about sports!

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    It wouldn't shock me in the slightest if that Ump's taken aside and given a bit of a talking to that no one finds out about unless it gets leaked.
    That will likely happen but you don't mess with blue...
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    If you like Dunkin' Donuts on Facebook, you can get five free days of MLB.tv on your computer.

I'm watching the Giants game now.

vCash

Cool

Marlins 20 win May their best month ever? Yup. With one game to play they may even go up another notch.

Remarkable turn around when you consider that their record is now 28-22 and a game and 1/2 out of first place in the dog fight that is the NL East.

NJL

vCash
    My boys are on an 8 game winning streak and are only 5.5 back now. Thanks gods they stopped sucking.

I just hope Weaver's injury doesn't end up being something that lingers throughout the season.

vCash
    I can't believe the Rangers game right now

vCash
    And Jays continue to amaze me -- they seem to have a handle on the first place Orioles Go JAYS!
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    When filling out your all-star ballots, please consider Melky Cabrera of the Giants. 51 hits in May.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Congratulations to Johan Santana on just pitching the first ever no hitter for the New York Mets!!!

As for the Jays tonight...le Sigh!!

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Congrats to Johan on his no hitter for the Mets and thank you for taking care of the Cardinals for my Reds!

*hoping the Reds are 2.5 games ahead of the Cards at the end of their game with the Astros*
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    I was at Citi Field last night (and every day for that matter, but usually in the HR office) but what an incredible vibe!!! The stadium was in a well deserved uproar!!! It was amazing to see Mets history :-)

Serial Lurker
    vCash
    Congrats to SF Giants Matt Cain, perfect game!!
    "My sources are unreliable, but their information is facinating!" Woody Paige

vCash
    I just watched the highlight reel. Awesome. That catch by Blanco and then the final play by Arias? Sweet.

vCash
    And the reality of being a Blue Jays fan becomes more painful. First Morrow is out with an injury for who know how long and now Drabek has something going on with his elbow. Why, Why WHY???? can't my teams stay healthy?
    Crazy about sports!

Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Congrats to Matt Cain!! I stayed up to watch the end of that game last night (they cut into it during Baseball Tonight to show him pitching the last three innings) and it was so exciting. What a night for him and the Giants!
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Aubrey Huff messed up his knee going to celebrate.

He was only hitting like .190, so it's not that big a deal. But these players need to stop injuring themselves in celebrations. Ramon Ramirez did a similar thing during Johan's no hitter.

Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast