vCash

Wheel Chair ICE dance sport video! More info?

I wasn't sure if this belong in this forum or The Trash Can, but it's definitely news to me.

I came across this YouTube video through another skating friend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOE8Ym4efkM
    Please overlook the over-the-top video production that is unnecessary, and her skating skills (much more freeskated than danced, not an elite skater but still all right).

Does anyone have any more information about this wheel chair dance sport on ice?

Do we know anything about these skaters? Where this took place at?

Are they the only ones or are there other couples who compete, or at least perform, like this?

I'm incredibly interested in the possibilities of this! I'm aware of wheel chair dance sport in a ballroom dance (on the floor) setting, as I have a friend who actively competes in it with a partner. I've also kept an eye out for any form of wheel chair skating / parapallegic / paraolympic form of skating activity, but until now I've only been aware of the Olympic sledge hockey.

If anyone has any more information to share on this, please do!

vCash
    I searched and found this video of the same number (I think) performed during Kings on Ice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfHVDnMMsBU

vCash
    Cute, but its more of pairs without the jumps, IMO.

vCash
    Why not? It shows that nothing should hold one back from pursuing their dreams. Good for him!!
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julianaqtpi View Post
    Isn't pairs without the jumps ice dancing?

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Could you imagine if Fusar Poli and Margaglio did this? It would be the ice dance equivalent of Murderball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    Isn't pairs without the jumps ice dancing?
    Ice dance is a lot more than pairs without the jumps. Overhead lifts are prohibited in ice dance, no split throws or triple throws or whatever, the spins are somewhat different, and ice dance has TONS more emphasis on musicality. Here's a webpage explaining the difference. http://figureskating.about.com/od/ic...pairsdance.htm

vCash
    I can't see the video because my server doesn't surport it. But are we talking about Ice-Dancing in a wheelchair? How is it even possible to skate in one?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julianaqtpi View Post
    "Cute"?

Condescending.

vCash
    FSWer it is a female skater doing mostly spins and footwork and a man in a wheelchair.
    It is dramatic show skating with no jumps, but they emote to each other, and they both move around the ice. She also balances on him/his chair (not really a lift, but maybe a bit like an icedance balance lift).

It is pretty well done, I was impressed with the choreography and even coming up with it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    FSWer it is a female skater doing mostly spins and footwork and a man in a wheelchair.
    It is dramatic show skating with no jumps, but they emote to each other, and they both move around the ice. She also balances on him/his chair (not really a lift, but maybe a bit like an icedance balance lift).

It is pretty well done, I was impressed with the choreography and even coming up with it!

COOL!!! How is that even possible to do? As you would need to be Superman to lift a Wheelchair of the ground at all. Let alone the combined wieght of it and the man.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bassethound View Post
    "Cute"?

Condescending.
    ??? Sensitive, much? I thought it was cute too, I guess I just think all people in wheelchairs are cute objects for my viewing pleasure, like midgets.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher