Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

vCash
    Something to be said for a "Telly Savalas"
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Total Shock and Joy!

Several weeks ago I had the great privilege and joy of finally telling Paul face-to-face how much this particular performance meant to me. I told him that I wanted to thank him for his whole career, but especially what he did in 1992, and he replied, "That was a really special year." I told him, "Yes, but it was not just something good that happened to you, it was something good that happened to me." I explained that I had lost my job three weeks prior to those Olympics and Paul's SP was the first thing since that had made me cry from happiness, not sadness. It was a great release for me and a reminder that God would be bringing me good things in the future. I told him that I hoped that he'd never felt that he was not doing something important by skating, and that he'd touched people more than he could ever possibly know. Paul seemed very appreciative and pleased to hear this, and I'm so glad that I was able to share my experience with him.

vCash
    That's so cool, snoopysnake.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    How about the exact tie between Johnny and Evan at 2008 Nationals?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    Three words -

THE DEATH STARE!
    I totally agree & I still crack up everytime I see it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    Sigh. Actually yes, SLC was a hot mess thinking about it. I also hated the ladies results and also thought D/V should have won the bronze. I never re-watch SLC.

Sigh. I just love D/V so much. I felt a bit for C/S though. It can't have felt nice to have their moment so tainted and disputed. Btw, that's some shocking hair on Irina, Shae-Lynn and Galit on the podium at the end of that clip

Anyway, I'm glad D/V have gone on to have a successful "pro" career (of sorts) in Russia though.
    For my sins I watch the DVD's of SLC a lot (I have way too much time on my hands !) & several things come to mind.
    The silver medal of Lob/Ave. No way was their silver medal right. Yes their OD was great but their compulsory's were sloppy & their FD was just awful & bland.
    Yes, Sarah Hughes was amazing in the free skate but I would have had the ranking in the short different
    1-Slutskaya
    2-Cohen
    3-Kwan
    4-Butyrskaya
    5-Hughes
    Kwan barely got round on her triple flip & Hughes changed edge on her lutz.
    In the pairs the US couple were WAY BETTER in the free than Tot/Mar & She/Zha.
    Also the two best programes (for me) was Lang/Tche & Nav/Kos yet were way down in marks.
    I wonder how the judging system with have now would have changed the result?
    I've always said change the judges not the judging system.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Skatefan View Post
    How about the exact tie between Johnny and Evan at 2008 Nationals?
    I think it sucks that they split it. They should have been joint champions.

Comansnala?
    vCash
    To me,

most dramatic/sad,
    when Yags had to retire because of a hip injury in 2003. His "Goodbye" at Skate America was a total heartbreak ...

most shocking,
    when Plush fell in the SP at SLC 2002, of course I was rooting for Yags, but this was completely out of nowhere. I was looking forward to a close, "killing" competition, and then everything went on so smooth ...
    Vancouver 2010 Men's Olympic results, with Klutz Lysacek being "Olympic Champion". A (skating) nightmare "finally" came true ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    Total Shock and Joy!

Several weeks ago I had the great privilege and joy of finally telling Paul face-to-face how much this particular performance meant to me. I told him that I wanted to thank him for his whole career, but especially what he did in 1992, and he replied, "That was a really special year." I told him, "Yes, but it was not just something good that happened to you, it was something good that happened to me." I explained that I had lost my job three weeks prior to those Olympics and Paul's SP was the first thing since that had made me cry from happiness, not sadness. It was a great release for me and a reminder that God would be bringing me good things in the future. I told him that I hoped that he'd never felt that he was not doing something important by skating, and that he'd touched people more than he could ever possibly know. Paul seemed very appreciative and pleased to hear this, and I'm so glad that I was able to share my experience with him.
    Love your story and experience with Paul!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    If you read it right you can see I said that I'm a Elena/Anton fan. I was shocked because the Olympics were in North America & thought that would favour Jamie/David.
    I found more emotion in the Russians free skate but thought the way they were treated by some people in the media was terrible. Like they were to blame.
    I did not agree with a second set of Gold medals being given out. It was a close call. I liked both but found the Russians more interesting.
    The media over reacted (my opinion).
    Are you guys forgetting that a judge admitted to fixing her vote? Let's not stir this up again but the Olympic committee had no choice in this. And if I were the Olympic skater I'd be demanding a gold medal as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    Are you guys forgetting that a judge admitted to fixing her vote? Let's not stir this up again but the Olympic committee had no choice in this. And if I were the Olympic skater I'd be demanding a gold medal as well.
    Are you also forgetting that several years later said judge admitted that she didn't actually but was recieving threats from the North American press?

There were at least eight other judges on that panel. B&S won. The reaction of the press and S&P was the ultimate in sore losing.

vCash
    There are so many shocking moments in skating.

I still remember being 12 years old, watching the 2002 Olympics and literally gasping when Michelle fell - just like everyone in the audience did. Such an intense night - I have a lot of Olympic memories, but that is probably towards the top.

And of course Sale and Pelletier winning silver - at the time I was a casual fan (I didn't watch pairs or dance until I was older) and didn't see how Bereznaya and Sikharulidze had any chance of winning. I think it was more shocking how blatantly biased that Hamilton, Bezic et al were towards the Canadians.

Fusar-Poli's death glare towards Margaglio in Turin was truly shocking. I don't think I've ever seen behavior like that towards a partner in dance or pairs. I still go on YT and watch it once or twice a year for laughs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Are you also forgetting that several years later said judge admitted that she didn't actually but was recieving threats from the North American press?
    What, what, WHAT?! I've never heard this before - how have I never heard this before?! Clearly I need enlightening...

vCash
    What, what, WHAT?! I've never heard this before - how have I never heard this before?! Clearly I need enlightening...
    I don't think it ever happened, that's why you haven't heard about it

vCash
    Oh, Marie-Reine Le Gougne has confessed to any number of things depending on who the audience is: she has alternately been pressured by Didier Gailhaguet, Russian officials and their cronies, Canadian officials and their backers, the media, Sally Stapleford and her pals, and possibly some other people I forgot. IIRC there was an IN story about her running into David Pelletier at TEB years later and tearfully apologizing to him. At this point, if she confessed to a much more complicated conspiracy involving others events and sports and possibly some politicians and space aliens, I wouldn't be surprised.

It also means we'll likely never know what exactly happened.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 01-11-2012 at 11:20 AM.

vCash
    I thought Midori Ito and Laeticia Hubert crashing into one another during the SP warm-up was quite dramatic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5i6zECEXT0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PashaFan View Post
    For my sins I watch the DVD's of SLC a lot (I have way too much time on my hands !) & several things come to mind.
    The silver medal of Lob/Ave. No way was their silver medal right. Yes their OD was great but their compulsory's were sloppy & their FD was just awful & bland.
    Yes, Sarah Hughes was amazing in the free skate but I would have had the ranking in the short different
    1-Slutskaya
    2-Cohen
    3-Kwan
    4-Butyrskaya
    5-Hughes
    Call me crazy, but I would have had Suguri ahead of Hughes as well.

I've never, EVER, understood the silver/scores for L/A. Like, at all. Wasn't it a 5-4 split for 1st as well?!

vCash

I've never, EVER, understood the silver/scores for L/A. Like, at all. Wasn't it a 5-4 split for 1st as well?!
    Yeah, shocking to me ! I was like that : "Suddenly at the same level as Anissina&Peizerat ?"

vCash

Suguri yes, maybe even Jennifer Robinson. Malinina was undermarked also.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    Total Shock and Joy!

Wonderful story. I'm sure Paul was very pleased.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast